Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

How important is the bridge?

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Vespa_One, Sep 13, 2017.

1. MonkeyJefferson

MonkeyJefferson Tele-Meister

Oct 26, 2010
    Nonurbana
    The first time I put in a Barden bridge with the cutaway and tuned it up, I never looked at a cheap bridge again.

Vespa_One and civanodude like this.

2. metecem

metecem Friend of Leo's

Are you kidding me? You play with Brazzaville?

3. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 16, 2014
    Auburn, California
    To me a good bridge will stand the test of time over years of hard use. The screws will continue to turn smoothly, the saddles won't get jagged, and the metal is solid and substantial. From my experience a cheap bridge will work for a while when new, but will have issues as it ages.

Vespa_One likes this.

4. kLyon

kLyon Tele-Meister Gold Supporter

Mar 21, 2011
    US
    Are you kidding me? You know Brazzaville?)

Original member; started the band with David Brown in LA in 1998.

5. metecem

metecem Friend of Leo's

Blimey, that band might be an underground thing but David's love for Istanbul is kinda known I guess.

Lemme see what I can do, maybe we can meet up for some coffee or so before or after your show, how long are you guys gonna be here?

6. kLyon

kLyon Tele-Meister Gold Supporter

Mar 21, 2011
    US
    Yeah, I love Istanbul too; go there whenever I can. We were at Zorlu in May, (It's cool, but I miss playing Babylon.0
    I'll be there a couple of days ahead (get there on the 10th, I think), so yeah, that'd be cool. PM me your email/mobile/what'sapp.

7. Barncaster

Barncaster Poster Extraordinaire

I really cant stand the cheap vs expensive Tele bridge discussion anymore.

telemnemonics likes this.

8. tfarny

tfarny Tele-Holic

Sep 4, 2008
    Hudson Valley, NY
    On my current tele build, I'm about to use a cheap stock fender plate and some saddles whose origin I can't remember, but I also have a Hipshot tele bridge on my main guitar - I was splashing out on that one - and it definitely looks nicer and it feels nice to touch. It may contribute to the fact that guitar is not as twangy as some others, but that's probably mostly due to the bridge pickup not the bridge. I'm not about to take it off to do a tone comparison, but I'm sure that's been done if you look around enough. Bridges "matter" but sometimes a cheap one is just what you want.

Vespa_One likes this.

9. TRexF16

TRexF16 Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2011
    Tucson
    Yeah but don't you dig the cool fellowship about to go down in Istanbul? Not kidding - that's a cool little serendipitous happening and thanks for posting it fellas.

Kinda like winding a set of hybrid mini/Firebirds for a rock-star brother of the best friend of a friend, eh Rob?

World just keeps on turnin'
    Rex

Barncaster likes this.

10. sammy123

sammy123 Tele-Meister Gold Supporter

Jul 25, 2011
    MKE
    I'll take the cheap plate with brass compensated saddles. I have a slightly heavier fully chromed cheap plate I got from guitar fetish I think on my thinline partscaster and the fender pat pend on the Nashville. I like both, but kind of want to try the fender on the partscaster to see if it opens it up a bit. It's a relatively cheap experiment.

Vespa_One likes this.

11. Vespa_One

Vespa_One Tele-Meister

Feb 14, 2017
    United States
    If you go ahead with the experiment post back with what you find!

12. Barncaster

Absolutely true Rex.

My rub is firstly that I'm weening myself off of caffeine and am really grumpy this morning. Secondly, the DIY thread is predicated on a group of people who have taken it upon themselves in many cases to make much better things than they can buy and pull the truth out of what works and what doesn't, regardless of price, for the benefit of the group. Therefore to me, the whole "this is more expensive than that so it must be better" drone just irks.

I think I'm going to cave and go get some coffee....

Rob

13. MonkeyJefferson

Oct 26, 2010
    Nonurbana
    I stand by this on many levels; it is just better, it's a more solid working bridge. The edges are all pleasing to touch. There's a little pinky cutaway. The screws are really nice. It's perfectly straight and strong. It's just spiffier than a cheap bridge, and the guitar I now have one on is a gamer.

BUT....I came here to make a correction. I had a cheap aluminum 3-barrel Chinese knockoff I got off ebay for 4.99 in a drawer. Foil-thin, bendable white metal garbage. Put it on new project guitar. Will never take it off. Ears over all.

Rock-Ola and Vespa_One like this.

14. dsutton24

dsutton24 Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Dec 29, 2010
    Illinois
    The bridge is very important. It has to hold the strings up off of the tailpiece, and not rattle or make weird noises. I like bridges.

But...

My every day player has a top loading bridge with the dreaded hammer saddles. You'll read all over the interwebs how this bridge is a piece of junk and will buzz no matter what you do with it. I'm here to say, "Bull squirt." It works just fine. I've got everything from that bridge up through a Glendale three saddle bridge that has three different saddles. It's a beautiful thing, and it works great. Is it a better sounding bridge than the top loading junk heap? No, not to my ears anyway.

Use the bridge that you like. If it has problems, fix the problems or replace it. It's no big deal. If it does what it should, don't sweat it.

If you like to have nice things, buy a nice bridge. That's okay too.

Hey, rock and roll...

Vespa_One and Chicago Matt like this.

15. Anode100

Anode100 Friend of Leo's

May 9, 2014
    Behind my beard.
    As long as it anchors the strings in place securely, and allows intonation and action to be set, it's all good.

The Wilkinson compensated bridge goes on every T-style Partscaster I've built - because they work, and are reliable.

Keep it simple - Leo did.

Vespa_One and Chicago Matt like this.

16. Barncaster

Hi Monkey,
    Thank you for providing context to your initial statement. The Barden is indeed a well finished bridge. As this is a Tele website, people here tend to be protective of Leo's creation, warts and all. Carry on.
    Rob

Vespa_One likes this.

17. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    See: the law of diminishing returns!
    I really don't want any cheap parts on my guitars, but cheap relates to low grade screws with allen/ slot heads that strip or saddles that have ragged/ soft string lands.

A hardtail bridge is by nature pretty cheap to make, so IMO throwing money at one is not going to net any functional gains, unless comparing to inferior cheap parts that do the simple job poorly.

Rock-Ola, Vespa_One and Chicago Matt like this.

18. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    I recently made a Duo Sonic like bridge for a hardtail Strat assembly, because I wanted three Tele saddles and can't find a cheap three saddle bridge with hardtail Strat mounting.
    Went with thin .062 aluminum angle stock, because I want the bridge to be weak and flexible to assure good contact with the body, rather than a more rigid plate.
    I did cut a plate length from .125 aluminum, just in case it seemed to flimsy, but it works fine.
    The thicker plate would probably have worked fine too.

19. Chicago Matt

Chicago Matt Tele-Afflicted

Aug 23, 2014
    Woodstock
    This makes sense to me ^^^. I've only owned 3 Teles so my experience is limited. The bridge on my 72 Custom sounded great, as do the stock 50s Road Worn bridge and the Squier CV 50s stock bridge (cheap by most accounts although it's thicker and more sturdy than the standard Fender issue). I ended up replacing it with the Gotoh Modern bridge just to be able to have more finely tuned intonation, but I really didn't need to. I put compensated saddles on the Road Worn for the same reason. But honestly, all have been great, sounded great and work great with zero problems.

Vespa_One likes this.

20. MonkeyJefferson

Oct 26, 2010
    Nonurbana
    If you don't know what the expensive one sounds like, you can't say the cheap one sounds better. You can say it's good, but you don't know if it's better, no?

P.S. I recently gigged 2 Squiers at a $500/man wedding gig....

Vespa_One likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.