Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

How I approach a Nitrocellulose Lacquer Finish

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by Colt W. Knight, Jun 18, 2011.

1. TheOutlaw

TheOutlaw Tele-Meister

Dec 22, 2012
    United States
    anyone know how a noob would go about finishing a tele in army/od green that quickly relics in places to butterscotch? im guessing that project may be a bit advanced for a first timer who's never touched a spray gun?

2. Cat MacKinnon

Cat MacKinnon Friend of Leo's

Nov 13, 2011
    Colorado
    i'd probably do a whole butterscotch finish first, including at least a few clear coats. let that dry for a good couple of months, just to make sure it's nice and hard. then go over it with two-three coats of satin or matte OD green (just enough coats to cover the butterscotch.)

nitro or acrylic lacquer will be your best bet. if you try to do it with some kind of poly, it'll probably take ten years before it even starts to wear through to the butterscotch.

3. JCSouthpawtele

JCSouthpawtele Friend of Leo's

Apr 28, 2009
    Middlebury,Indiana
    Read all of Colt's thread. Especially this one. From beginning to end.

4. aarongreen123

aarongreen123 Tele-Meister

Sep 20, 2011
    USA
    does Colt build his own necks? if not where's he getting them? whats he getting is PHD in?

5. JCSouthpawtele

JCSouthpawtele Friend of Leo's

Apr 28, 2009
    Middlebury,Indiana
    I have no answer for the PhD. I've seen him build his own necks, but I've also seen purchased necks.

6. likepine

likepine TDPRI Member

Sep 17, 2013
    wash state
    oops found what i was look for sorry

Last edited: Sep 18, 2013

7. cacophony

cacophony Tele-Meister

Feb 22, 2014
    Philippines
    Can I use this method on an Alder body? Do I need to fill up the grains as well?

8. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity

Aug 3, 2010
    Loganville, Ga.
    Yes, you can use this method on Alder. Alder usually has pretty tight grain, so you can choose to fill it or not, depending on the end result you want. If you ultimately want a mirror-smooth painted surface, filling the grain would be a good idea.

9. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Friend of Leo's Ad Free + Supporter

Feb 15, 2014
    Maine
    Since the thread is resurrected, many thanks to Mr. Knight for his generous instruction, same to everyone who chipped in. I just read it cover-to-cover, I know kung fu.

10. Rano Bass

Rano Bass Tele-Holic

Mar 26, 2014
    Tijuana/San Diego
    Agreed! This is a great thread for any lacquer finishing questions, thanks Colt!

11. uncleglenn

uncleglenn NEW MEMBER!

Oct 11, 2014
    B.C.
    When

So when do you sand the lacquer?

12. Rano Bass

Rano Bass Tele-Holic

Mar 26, 2014
    Tijuana/San Diego
    You mean the final sanding before assembling? That depends on how many coats do you use and the weather in your area. In hot areas I would say between 2 and 3 weeks, in colder areas 4 to 6 weeks.
    But that also depends on the product you used.

13. harold h

harold h Tele-Afflicted

Feb 15, 2004
    Colt hasnt posted in a year and a half?

What happened?

14. DrASATele

DrASATele Poster Extraordinaire

Jul 6, 2012
    North of Boston
    I believe he was getting his masters in an area of farming. Probably putting that degree to good use. He still post on FB from time to time.

15. stratofortress

stratofortress Tele-Afflicted

Oct 25, 2011
    Maryland
    just so i can find this....

16. Rano Bass

Rano Bass Tele-Holic

Mar 26, 2014
    Tijuana/San Diego
    I was reading (again :lol: ) this great thread and just wanted to share that this CAB acrylic lacquer does work great on guitars!
    I must be lucky because I went to the Sherwin Williams San Diego coatings store and could buy a single quart of it for $15 dollars!
    Good stuff.

17. robbeck

robbeck NEW MEMBER!

Dec 11, 2015
    Henley Beach
    What size is the gun 1, 1.2, 1.3 1.4

I have a very small gun with a .5 setup I am wondering if I can spray Nitro finish with it os is the setup too small?

18. robbeck

robbeck NEW MEMBER!

Dec 11, 2015
    Henley Beach
    Hi I have a .5 tip HVLP gun and using 30% reducer it still seems to get a dry or orange peel effect can you recommend something to help sort this out? Am is to far away from the body or too much air pressure or is it the size of the tip? Can I reduce the Nitro a bit more to get it to flatten out more? All suggestions appreciated. Cheers Rob

19. Kennedycaster

Kennedycaster Tele-Afflicted

Apr 5, 2009
    Mesa, AZ
    A 1.3 tip is the standard for lacquer. .5 is way too small.

Bob

20. Rano Bass

Rano Bass Tele-Holic

Mar 26, 2014
    Tijuana/San Diego
    Too small, it can be done but I suggest using a 1.3 or 1.4 tip if using a gravity feed gun.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.