How hard is Open G to learn?

Discussion in 'Acoustic Heaven' started by b2187101, May 7, 2019.

1. b2187101

b2187101 Tele-Meister

Was thinking about getting a small acoustic guitar for Open G tuning... how hard is it to learn chords and scales? Was looking at an Epiphone EL-00.... is this a good guitar for this?

2. hrstrat57

hrstrat57 Tele-Afflicted

Easier than standard tuning.

Get a Squier Classic Vibe take off the chubby string and pop on a ElectroSocket Jack.

You be in business!!

YouTube is your friend. Lotsa killer demos of Stones tunes especially.

I like JustinGuitar and shutup and play but there is lots of amazing stuff out there for free!

Have fun!

3. Obsessed

Obsessed Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I own an Epi spruce top EL-00 Pro. It is so good, my wife bought the mahogany top version. I bought it to replace my worn out campfire beater, but it is too good for that. The sleeper out there for sure. Replace the nut and you are good to go. Oh, and the internal pup is incredible for the cost.

Anyway, Open G is my favorite open/alternative tuning. I started with a YT easy acoustic version of, "Wild Horses". Awesome open G sounds that lead me to buying my first tele for just open G. As I got into slide, try the early Stones version of, "Little Red Rooster" in Open G. Those two songs and you will be hooked for life.

telestratosonic likes this.
  4. kiwi blue

kiwi blue Tele-Afflicted

Pretty easy to get started and achieve a basic level fairly quickly. Three strings are tuned the same as standard. The others are tuned a full tone (2 frets) down.

Chords? Simple major chords are just a finger (or slide) across all strings. Different voicings require more complex fingering, but nothing harder than in standard, just different.

Having three open D strings and two G strings means octaves are dead simple. Ditto for bass drones played with the thumb.

I play in open A, which is the same tuning one tone higher, and just about always with a slide. The reason is because my voice usually sits better in A. I find it useful for playing pentatonic blues lines against a bass drone rather than playing full chords.

5. AJBaker

AJBaker Friend of Leo's

Pretty easy for the kind of songs that tend to be in open g. For a bunch of sounds, play major chords by laying a finger across the board (5th fret for C for example), and get the corresponding sus2 four chord (Fsus2) by doing the Keith Richards thing: middle finger (6th fret B string) and ring finger (7th fret D string).

It's also pretty easy to get some nice slide guitar sounds once you master the basic technique.

6. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

You need a 4-string Cigar Box Guitar. They are most often tuned G/D/B/G. Open tuned with 2 roots a 5th and a 3rd. Usually the middle 4 strings of a 6-string guitar with the A down tuned to G.
    You'll love it. You can get a kit from C.B.Gitty or a built CBG from them for a decent price. They have Diatonic scale or Chromatic, full scale, short scale and Uke's.

7. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

Easy. Once you get your head around the fact that open is G, 2nd. fret is A, 5th. is C and so forth. Also a simple two finger C type chord is open to a plethora of songs.
    Mark Knopfler plays Romeo and Juliet in this tuning and it's easy ( see Youtube lessons). It's actually a really good key to base work on. Ry Cooder has been an exponent of this since the 60s. Try it!

Charlie Bernstein likes this.
  8. El Marin

El Marin Tele-Holic

Easy... well it seems so

But it depends on how far you wanna go

Jim622 and RoscoeElegante like this.
  9. fraser

fraser Tele-Holic

I have an el-00, I really like it.
    It was one of the earlier models, I think I got it first year they came out, like 2006.
    No electronics, spruce top, Paid Under 300$ canadian then brand new.

Sounds great for slide to me, but also great for everything else I do.
    probably the best purchase for the price I’ve ever made on an acoustic.
    I made a bone saddle for it when I got it, other than that no problems.
    I use mine mostly in d standard or open d,
    It’s holding up really well, and just keeps sounding better.

Last edited: May 8, 2019
    Obsessed likes this.
  10. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I have a yamaha acoustic set to open D , listen to the notes as you play and the scales are right there, plus when the strings are barred it is a D major chord position that moves up the neck , great for slide , some songs i learned in that position is " the End ", by the doors , and "we took the wrong step years ago" by hawkwind, totally different feel and approach plus you can use regular C, Amin, A, E min ( no E 6th string ) etc

the tuning I did was D (6th) A (5th) D (4th) G (3 RD) B (2nd) D (1st)

11. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

You will have the stones catalogue down in the first hour.

I use it a lot live but as a variant. I just drop the A string to G between numbers and use the 4 high strings as normal for solos, standard chords/arpeggios, etc. and can do all the slide stuff on the middle 4 strings. I just mute the low E rather than remove it.

So it is E, G (dropped from A), D, G, B, E.

I just tune the one A string back up for the next song in standard.

It’s easy to experiment without buying a new guitar and I know the audience can’t tell.

teletimetx likes this.
  12. Tonetele

Guitarteach is right about the Stones music. I don't know where Keith Richards got it from , Gram Parsons or Ry Cooder (I believe Cooder). I have one telecaster permanently tuned to G.
    I believe his tuning is not quite correct. If you use all six it's 6-D, 5-G,4-D,3-G,2-B and 1-D( or you can take out the 6th. string) but the 1st. string E is dropped to a D. 3-Ds, two Gs and a B.
    There are plenty of Ds and Gs and a B in a G Chord but no E. If you tune first string to an E you'll be two whole notes down.
    No offense meant to guitarteach. If anything I wonder where he gets the sound from with two or even one E. Check G Tuning on Youtube then a whole new world of songs will come to you. Cheers.

Obsessed and Jim622 like this.
  13. Flaneur

Flaneur Friend of Leo's

The moveable Am7 shape is a great starting point, if you're new to the tuning. Barre it, hammer on and pull off it, augment it, by experimenting around that base, with your pinky. Fingerpicking will give you an idea of what's available......and combining slide licks will really open things up.
    Unlike, say, Open D, there is a comfort level, when the 4th, 3rd and 2nd strings remain in familiar relationships to one another. You might try adding single note intros, riffs and runs, once you get used to the restricted palette.

Charlie Bernstein and Tonetele like this.
  14. Tonetele

b2187101 I really am serious about that tuning method: G is first in the chord, B is third and D is the fifth.
    I have re -checked G tuning on Youtube, the tuning I use, and cannot possibly work out where an E would ever fit. Se for yourself.

Jim622 likes this.
  15. sds1

sds1 Tele-Holic

Not really.

Try shredding classic Hendrix or SRV licks in an open tuning. Try playing a minor chord across 5 or 6 strings like in standard.

Any tuning would naturally have things that are easier or harder to play. No tuning is categorically easier or harder to play in. They all just have a certain character of tendency is all.

Additionally, teaching resources in open tunings are obviously scarce. If you are looking to learn scales, etc. you gonna have to figure it all out for yourself pretty much.

Last edited: May 8, 2019
    Wildcard_35, RLee77 and Marc Morfei like this.
  16. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Tele-Holic

One of these days I will learn to use open tunings. Tried it a couple times and of course instantly understood the value of it (Honky Tonk Woman, I mean, c'mon...). But the rest of it would take some studying. Things like "how do you play a minor chord?" and "where did my pentatonic scale just go?" were not immediately apparent. Just will need to spend the time to figure that stuff out.

sds1 likes this.
  17. Jim622

Jim622 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

It is a very easy to sound good fairly quickly

Tonetele and Charlie Bernstein like this.
  18. sds1

sds1 Tele-Holic

Just so long as you're playing 1-4-5 in a major key, absolutely!

To be honest, though, many find this to be true of standard tuning as well. Hence "jam night". :cool:

19. joealso

joealso Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Very easy. Remember also that your D, G and B strings remain the same. Your 1st string, (high E) is dropped to D, so anything you'd normally play on your first string, you simply move it up 2 frets. As a Stones fan, I can play the solos to Can't You Hear Me Knocking and Wild Horses in standard or open G just by remembering to make that 2 fret adjustment on the first string.

But you don't have to commit to another guitar to find out if you like it. Just retune from standard to try it out. Another tip, since you're tuning down, you might want to use heavier strings if you're currently using a light gauge.

Open G is a lot of fun with slide. I find that the change provides a spark for me. Hope it does for you too.

Obsessed, Tonetele and Jim622 like this.
  20. guitarmoron

guitarmoron Tele-Meister

it is easy and fun, so much so I keep one tuned up that way all the time

Obsessed and Tonetele like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.