Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

How finish this carved body

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by Akille68, Sep 28, 2017.

1. Akille68

Akille68 TDPRI Member

Jan 4, 2015
    Rome
    Hi folks,
    Have just got this pasley style body in poplar. Top is laser etched and i cannot use a filler as back and sides. I would like to get a gloss finish but any filler will act on etching ruining the drawing.
    Which kind of sealer should I use? Thanx!

[​IMG]

2. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Mar 2, 2003
    Lawndale CA
    It depends.

You say "etched" but it looks like there is ink or dye in addition to etching. Do you have any information about the material used for the black - or dark gray - parts of the pattern (as opposed to just texture)? Laser etching can involve a few different materials.

what do they say can be used on it? That would be your safest bet.

Wwith something like this if you get the smallest amount of "bleed" it's ruined.

3. Akille68

Akille68 TDPRI Member

Jan 4, 2015
    Rome
    The black is burnt wood.

4. trev333

trev333 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Have you thought about Shellac?... it might work.. though it would have a slight tint to it.

5. Vizcaster

Vizcaster Friend of Leo's

Sep 15, 2007
    Glen Head, NY
    If your goal is to get a thick enough finish that it can be level and glossy, I would use a high-build lacquer like Target Coatings EM7000 (waterborne), or 2k "goop" (solvent based, to borrow Buckocaster's terminology), or vinyl sealer (compatible with nitro topcoat).

6. pictacado

pictacado TDPRI Member

Oct 17, 2013
    Los Angeles
    It appears that Walla Walla Guitars made this body?
    Why not contact them and ask what they suggest?

7. Akille68

Akille68 TDPRI Member

Jan 4, 2015
    Rome
    Thanks for your advices, yes it is a Walla Walla body. I will try to get in contact with them.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.