Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

How does your band practice?

Discussion in 'Band Wagon' started by ce24, Jul 17, 2017.

1. ce24

ce24 Friend of Leo's

Jan 26, 2008
    Idahoastan
    We are changing to a circle facing each other... we've always practiced set up like a gig facing out. What do you guys who play in bands do?
    Cheers

2. Gene O.

Gene O. Tele-Meister

Sep 20, 2015
    Canton, Ohio
    Cirlce. That's the only way we can get everyone to fit in my basement practice room. The circle format makes it easier to communicate. Of course, that's not really preparing you for all of the horrid venue setups you have to deal with, but... oh well. Nothing is perfect.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2017

3. scottser

scottser Tele-Meister

Mar 6, 2009
    dublin
    Loud and stoned usually

Bellacaster, DSharp, Veltek and 12 others like this.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

Repeated for truth.

Veltek, McGlamRock, BuckSatan and 3 others like this.

6. chris m.

chris m. Friend of Leo's

Circle. We still do a lot of visual communication live as well, even though we are not really in a circle anymore. Well, we're kind of in a circle but
    we're all facing outward instead of each other. Since I'm in front I do a fair bit of looking over my shoulders at the keys and drums. I don't think people
    really mind-- they see the communicating going on among the musicians and understand it's all part of the show. We're always having a blast on stage,
    smiling and getting energy from each other, and I think that energy is infectious to the crowd.

7. Flat6Driver

Flat6Driver Friend of Leo's

Jan 14, 2013
    DC Burbs
    As if on stage for one and in a circle for the more informal jam session.

8. uriah1

uriah1 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Feb 12, 2011
    Around
    Trapezoid or scalene

9. Stratandtele

Stratandtele Tele-Meister

Mar 31, 2016
    New Jersey
    Everybody learns the songs on their own, and we take a "leap of faith" late in the gig when the audience is good and drunk. Trial by fire if you will... Most of the time it works out just fine, with only an occasional train wreck.

10. Tonemonkey

Tonemonkey Poster Extraordinaire

My credo, practice as you perform on stage ...... So that's an in an inward facing circle.

Occasionally we will stand on boxes ......... for 60's tracks.

Veltek, Durberville and awasson like this.

11. Steve 78

Steve 78 Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Oct 27, 2015
    Melbourne, Austraila
    Facing each other.

12. Pineears

Pineears Tele-Meister

Jun 25, 2016
    Texas
    We stand in a line (only two of us). I set everything up just like a gig except I turn the mains towards us as additional monitors. Lyrics and chord changes are on a 42" screen in front of us.

Veltek likes this.

13. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Friend of Leo's

Feb 16, 2014
    Auburn, California
    Used to always face out, like it was a gig. Just changed it up this past year.

It may seem stupid, but it took me about 30 years to realize that everyone needs to stand directly in front of their own amp, and then don't let anyone else stand in the beam. Our old bass player used to stand directly in front of my amp, and then he'd always complain that he couldn't hear himself, and would keep turning up.

Since he left our volume is much more manageable. We stand side by side, facing the drummer so we can communicate visually with him.

And yes, you can put us in the "loud and stoned" group too.

14. -Hawk-

-Hawk- Tele-Afflicted

Oct 14, 2015
    IL, USA
    Same as the gig setup.

15. Tele1966

Tele1966 Tele-Afflicted

Jul 30, 2014
    US
    Same setup as a gig but with amps (guitar/bass/keys) and stage monitors only, we don't bring out the mains. Our stage volume at practice is the same stage volume as a gig.

16. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

Aug 6, 2014
    UK
    Like a gig... will use small mains if recording the live mix sound or just floor monitors if not.

17. awasson

awasson Tele-Afflicted

Nov 18, 2010
    Vancouver
    The last of my bands ended about 10 years ago or so but the rehearsal setting was the same. Circular with everyone facing the drums. We ran guitars & vocals into a PA with left right monitors on shelves at about 5 ft from the floor and one either side of the drum kit but wide enough not to be directed at the drummer. Bass guita had his own amp and we also had a channel of bass going to the PA board. All in all, the sound and mix was pretty good.

18. SecretSquirrel

SecretSquirrel Tele-Holic

Jul 2, 2015
    PNW USA
    We just changed from a semi-circle facing the drummer, to facing out as if on stage. The new drummer is pretty deaf, so we point the amps at him. Seems to be working out.

Being on one end, I can easily turn to make eye contact with the drummer—he watches us like a hawk!—and he's real good with cues & signals.

I would like to rehearse louder, the other guitarist complains if it's "too loud." The bassist recently showed up with earplugs. The new drummer is just loud, period. But to me, that's a good thing cuz then everyone has to turn UP. :D

19. bettyseldest

bettyseldest Tele-Afflicted

Nov 13, 2011
    UK
    I would like to be able to say that we rehearse together, and that practice is done by individual band mambers at home, but that would not be the truth.

Grux, paratus and Flat6Driver like this.

20. Artunes

Artunes Tele-Meister

Mar 9, 2016
    Oshkosh, B'gosh
    I've been in bands that rehearsed in a circle, with only a few monitors set up. This was good for communication with each other.

I've been in bands where we rehearsed as if we were playing a gig, with full production.

The band I'm in now does not rehearse. We're too old for that sh*t.

21. codamedia

codamedia Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2009
    Western Canada
    We setup the way we play at night...
    Not only does it feel natural... my ears are not pointed to the drum kit!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.