How does one wire “across” a switch?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by dweeb686, Mar 10, 2019.

1. dweeb686

dweeb686 TDPRI Member

I’m using one side of DPDT switch to toggle Negative Feedback on and off. I’m getting the typical pop sound that’s been reported by many across various message boards.

Silly question, but what does it mean to wire a resistor “across” a switch? I haven’t been able to find an actual explanation or visual representation for the life of me. I’ve currently got the outbound signal soldered to lug A, the inbound on B, and nothing on C. Tried connecting the resistor to life A & B as well as A & C and still get the pop.

The switch is part of a push/pull pot where the pot is my presence control.

2. dogmeat

dogmeat Tele-Holic

across = parallel

resistor connecting the input and output on the switch terminals so that when the switch is "off", the resistor becomes the path to complete the NFB loop. when the switch is "on", the resistor is bypassed out of the circuit. that it?

Last edited: Mar 10, 2019
  3. dweeb686

dweeb686 TDPRI Member

We’ll see if it is! I have it soldered to lugs A and B, which are my input and output, and it’s not working as it should in theory. I used a 1M as people suggested, but now I’ve also read about people employing capacitors as well

4. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Poster Extraordinaire

'Across' a switch has a pretty specific meaning: put your device across the contacts of the switch (series with the contacts).

You might need more/different components across there.

5. 8urchevy

8urchevy Tele-Meister

I think perhaps this is what you are after? I know it is showing a standby switch, but the same principle applies.

[​IMG]

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.