Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

How does one just... Quit?

Discussion in 'Band Wagon' started by haggardfan1, Dec 27, 2016.

1. haggardfan1

haggardfan1 Tele-Afflicted

Mar 17, 2014
    Longview, Texas
    Lol. Now it's been addressed.

2. Grux

Grux Tele-Meister

Jan 10, 2017
    Clarksville, TN
    I've sold everything I had....twice! Don't do it man you will regret it.

3. hrstrat57

hrstrat57 Tele-Meister

Nov 21, 2016
    Rhode Island
    Slide your favorite tele under the bed. Stick your favorite 15w amp in a dry warm closet. Dump the rest of the gear and enjoy what sounds like a great life. Pull the guitar out once a week just to keep up some chops.

Good luck!

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. viking

viking Friend of Leo's

Jan 23, 2007
    Denmark
    If you want to , or need the cash , just sell most of it....They are just tools , and can be required again later
    The music that you still have in you , will come out through the gear you have left, or through the gear you buy later
    Good luck !

6. PastorJay

PastorJay Tele-Holic

Apr 12, 2014
    California
    Prayer for blessings on the transition to whatever you do next.

Peace.

RCinMempho likes this.
  7. T Prior

T Prior Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 17, 2003
    Charlotte NC
    When I stepped out in the 90's I started building model cars as my "time" hobby , actually professionally. If I say so myself I became pretty darn good and I probably built over 100 models on consignment over a 5 year period . Average consignment price was around $100 . I built mostly Corvettes, they were models of local Corvette club owner cars. It was quite fun for bit, until I got the bug to play again . Well, I put the glue away and picked up the tuner ! It was an excellent break . I came back playing totally different, I lost a few executions but gained many other new ones. All is well. been back just shy of 20 years with a totally different perspective.

Take a break, you'll know when it's time to crank it back up.

Good luck, enjoy life !

8. TMMC

TMMC Tele-Afflicted

Apr 3, 2013
    SLC
    I went through the quitting thing. It was rough. I kept my gear--I've more than doubled it in fact, since "quitting"--and I play at home, record, write...I just don't really gig anymore, and probably won't any time in the near future. And I'm okay with it.

I just decided that I was done. It was pretty quick, and really not that long ago, but with the decision came a lot of relief. Best of luck.

9. bazmusicman

bazmusicman TDPRI Member

Dec 21, 2015
    london England.
    Well I played in bands from 1960 to 1985 and had offers to do summer seasons/ cruising etc. but with partners and kids between us it wasn't viable.

We worked most every Fri/Sat/Sun plus some in the week, earned good money as well as having full time jobs. As you can guess it left me worn out. So in 1985 I quit, bought an old caravan, and spent weekends away with kids etc. which I wasn't doing before and I totally relaxed. The big shock was money, it went down by half!!

I never played a note fore 11 years, not a note, but I kept all my stuff. it coincided with a low period in my life, car accident, divorce etc. Then an old friend asked me to show him how to play guitar. I retrieved my stuff from storage at my mums, and had to relearn to play myself!

This in turn got me playing gigs again from 1997 till recently, when I thought that was all finished! I now own more guitars and amps than previously. Unfortunately I have got axle neuropathy (last 5 years or so) which has left me with weak hands and fingers, and playing is a frustrating struggle. But hey....I'm 73 so I've had a good innings!

So don't throw everything away - give life time - and you'll come back to it. When I was feeling low my Mum said "life is a wheel, today you are at the bottom, but it will turn and you will be at the top again" stay strong.

10. Pineears

Pineears Tele-Meister

Jun 25, 2016
    Texas
    The instruments I've kept when I quit playing multiple times are in the closet and under the bed, not preferred over the latest stuff I bought. The old instruments laying around have limited what I can buy now because the wife says I have to sell something first.

11. chemobrain

chemobrain Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Nov 5, 2016
    oakland ca.
    this happened to me, to avoid psycho babble, it's a kinda blues. it will pass, all those folks are right you'll be back. My godfather, used to just go fishing out in the boonies, and when he returned ripe and unshaven , he always had a smile, do you fish?

12. Vespa_One

Vespa_One Tele-Meister

Feb 14, 2017
    United States
    Noodling on guitar is an excellent stress reliever. Keep one nearby to take your mind off things

13. brenn

brenn Tele-Afflicted

Dec 8, 2013
    Kentucky
    I lost mine for a long time after buying a house, selling all of my good guitars and gear and moving to a new house where I don't really like the basement for playing and it seems like I don't have enough time to play.

Just got some motivation back by buying a new Les Paul, so maybe you could try that.

14. Revv23

Revv23 Friend of Leo's

Oct 9, 2009
    Michigan
    Your still on TDPRI. Its not over yet!!

Ive taken years off at a time in my relatively short time playing. Life gets in the way. At some point i always come back.

68Telebass likes this.
  15. Scotty 2

Scotty 2 Tele-Holic

Jun 22, 2007
    Ft.Pierce,Florida
    You tell them that you're done just like you told us,,,,no problem..

16. Revv23

Revv23 Friend of Leo's

Oct 9, 2009
    Michigan
    This is a great viewpoint. I approve!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.