Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

How do you re-tolex an amp?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by joel_ostrom, Nov 26, 2008.

1. joel_ostrom

joel_ostrom Tele-Afflicted

Sep 11, 2006
    Calgary, AB
    is it a difficult thing to do or to have done? just wondering cuz i ordered an amp in at the store and for some dumb reason they didn't get the color combination right. It's not a big deal to me, it was purely an aesthetic thing (i'm more interested in the tone). I wanted the body to be red and the front panel blonde, but instead they just made it all red.

also they put the wrong grill cloth color on it, lol. like i said, its an insignificant thing for the overall purpose of the amp, but i was just wondering if its hard to maybe perform a DIY tolex job.

Thanks,
    Joel

2. jwj4856

jwj4856 Tele-Holic

Nov 8, 2008
    shreveport, LA
    I tried one myself and really did not do avery good job on it, but that was just me, took it to an automotive upholstery shop and had them redo it for me and it looked as good or maybe better than a factory job, cost me around $100

3. old_picker

old_picker Tele-Afflicted

its a PIA getting it off once its stuck down so thats the biggest part of the job
    get over it man theres really quite a bit of work involved

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. backline

backline Tele-Afflicted

Oct 6, 2008
    USA, CA, 94585
    Good Grief -
    Yes it is hard to do properly. Have you ever tried to hang vinyl at home? Walls are pretty straight and square. Amps are odd shapes with returns, reveals, corners, radius', etc. etc. Plus you would have to remove the existing material first.
    But all that is a moot point. If you ordered an amp with custom color vinyl and grill cloth, and it came with the wrong color scheme; why don't you just have the seller fix it?

6. SamBooka

SamBooka Tele-Afflicted

Apr 19, 2007
    Montreal
    this is the guide I used and had ok results.
    I did the sides first then the top and bottom.. otherwise it was too rushed/messy.
    the part he DOESNT talk about .. getting the curves right on a) the back panel cutouts and/or b)the cutout on the top of a tweed style amp.
    I got it finally but it was error and trial

7. joel_ostrom

joel_ostrom Tele-Afflicted

Sep 11, 2006
    Calgary, AB
    I understand. But like i said before, the colors are really quite insignificant to me. its the sound i'm after. I just wanted to know if it was a difficult thing or not to re-tolex an amp. since it obviously is, then its not worth the effort for me to even look into it (at least until this tolex wears out a bit).

As for sending back to the seller, that's not worth it either. I waited 4 months for this amp after i ordered it in and i'm not about to ship it off again for something as unimportant as a re-tolex job.

anyways, thanks for the input, much appreciated

Thanks man, this is a cool site. i like watching projects get put together piece by piece by guys who know what they're doing. real interesting

cheers,
    Joel

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.