How do you play the riff to "Suspicious Minds"?

Discussion in 'Tab, Tips, Theory and Technique' started by chet, Aug 25, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. City Sirens

City Sirens Tele-Meister

So I was close. I was only missing the hammer-on. Thanks!

Going in the studio with that baby tomorrow!

2. charlie cash

charlie cash Tele-Holic

gtroates,
    thanks. excellent job, very clear.

3. Tim Bowen

Tim Bowen Poster Extraordinaire

Arrangement

The question of "How do you play it?" has been addressed nicely, so I'll go with "How do YOU play it?".

I have a copy of the Elvis track around here somewhere, but I have to admit that I haven't listened in ages. With my duo, I do sort of a punk-folk, ultra-strummy arrangement, and I play it on a high string acoustic-electric guitar. For the I chord, I go G to C/G to G, with cowboy chords and hammers and pulls. For the IV, I use a garden variety open C chord with a G note on top, and sus the 4 and resolve it. For the V, I move the cowboy C shape up the neck a whole step, which yields that clustery D chord that contains both a 3rd and a sus4, and I hammer to the 4 (which eliminates the minor second cluster temporarily), and then I pull off of that, which brings back the cluster.

The tune also contains iii and vi minor chords, as well as a nice bass movement under the V prior to the chorus. I can't remember if this is the case on the Elvis track, but prior to the bridge, I substitute B7sus4-B7 for the iii minor. A classic secondary dominant move, even if it's not on The King's track.

4. gaddis

gaddis Tele-Afflicted

This song came out when I was in junior high school. On the cheesy transistor radio I had, I had no idea what the lyrics really were. I thought he as singing "We called in a tramp". LOL.

5. TG

TG Doctor of Teleocity

Recycled zombie thread.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.