How do you handle your wall warts?

Discussion in 'Pedal/Effects Owners Clubs' started by 24 track, May 19, 2019.

1. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I'm curious after spending my day off going through My growing device wall warts Looking for that illusive
    9V DC 2 Amp ( 2000ma) positive tip wall wart for my Roland Gr55 .
    I separated all my wallwarts into 3 catagories:

1) Active devices , ones that I use, when I need them but, I dont have mounted on pedal boards or in racks ( all labled for the device, Voltage , polarity and current draw)

2) spare unused ( at present ) A/C-D/C power supplies ( all tested to ensure proper output) about 30 of these, tip polarity marked, as well as voltage and current specs

3) A/C out put wall warts , you know the ones that look Identical to the DC units but have a an A/C out put designed to confuse you in a hurry and send an improper voltage to your device causing potential issues

Now all of this is fine except, some units use propriatory tips so only one sub standard sized plug will work
    example :
    I have a Korg Kaos Pro , and 2 Korg KP3's, One of the KP3's wall warts has a center pin on the wall wart connector jack and the other has the center pin on the on the device plug , so I had to lable the devices and the Wall warts KP3-1 & KP3-2

now I am sure I am not the only one that has this issue , I curious how you guys have and store these items,

I also have a One spot pedal power supply and a Voodoo Lab pedal power plus ( not currently in use because i dont really have a pedal board at present) I have individual pedals that i use in the studio

so how do you guys deal with this issue?

Thank Gawd for my Brother lable maker!

Last edited: May 20, 2019
  2. ReverendRevolver

ReverendRevolver Tele-Meister

2xEHX 9v t+ on one side pocket of the pedal bag,
    EHX 12v om the other side, and off brand center- in its box on the same side pocket.

If I had your amount of different but similar looking stuff, I'd paint the tops or something. My memory isn't trustworthy enough to not take ages figuring out what goes where.
    Do the proprietary ended stuff have a way to plug into your voodoo lab block?

nojazzhere, 24 track and Milspec like this.
  3. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

@24 track , I thought you were so organized!

I gotta keep proprietary power supplies with their device when not in use, like in a HD ziploc bag or padded mailer.
    AD900 is bagged with the Maxon 12v.
    Both AD999 Pros stay with their funny special 9v.
    All my 18v are labeled with silver paint marker, since they float among the herd.
    I think I may have killed a pedal or two by plugging in an 18v by accident, thus the silver paint marker since I can't read fine print black on black.
    A dead Radial tonebone is near the replaced RS PS in a bag o' pedals.
    Got it cheap due to lost wall wart.
    Line 6 Pod is in a box with the original PS.

Somewhere I have a pos center 9v for my Fulltone octafuzz but I can seldom find it.

My AC wall warts I use to break in speakers, which burns out the wall wart and gets it outta my hair.

My one spots are both plugged in to my board.

Hmmm, Fostex boxed up...
    All my working tube dist pedals have 120v supply so no problems there!

24 track likes this.
  4. 24 track

No , the discrete stuff like the zoom 707, Eventide H9 max , and the Roland Gr55 & the Korg Kp-3 all require their own power supplies , but alot of the midi controlers are wall wart dependant and the voodoo labs wont be applicable for those , I labled all of the active devices with my lable maker ( I love thast thing ) , it was a lot of work but its all done now.

the voodoo labs good for all of my guitar pedals , like blues driver , Tube Screamer 9, Roland delay and reverbs & the behringer VT-1 , but the ART FX-1 and the tube pres all take A/C power supplies.my 2 X Peavey PC 1600 's are 16 volt A/C dependant

I got everything working and asigned, but i dont think I am the only one who has encountered this as well so i know others have worked this out ,Im curious how they did it

one other thing I was blown away how on Ebay how a 10.00 wallwart had almost 70.00 in shipping from the states , yet the same unit was 8.00 from China with free shipping yet they were the same wall wart , go figure :lol::lol::lol:

Last edited: May 20, 2019
    telemnemonics likes this.
  5. 24 track

I am quite organized I was looking for a spare PS for the Roland Gr55 ( a friend is developing some new midi technology to modify the midi from the gr55 and eliminate any latency issues) and wants to borrow the Gr55 and I dont want to rip apart my system to get the 9 volt D/C 2 Amp neg tip out so I went looking through my spares to see if I had one, that was the promt for all of this.

I did find 2 dead wall warts that i disposed of in my spares

But it is good to go and find the correct wallwart right when i need it now. and everything is labled correctly and tested

telemnemonics likes this.
  6. DonM

DonM Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I always label mine. However I found one in the garage this weekend that has "car batt." on it. I have no idea what that means. It certainly doesn't charge my car battery and I don't have any model electric cars. So much for my organization.

24 track likes this.
  7. 24 track

I finally broke down and ordered that 9volt 2 amp wall wart from China 7.00 free shipping, I could not justify 10.00 with 80.00 shipping from the states, our economy must in the tankers, this will give me my spare I need.

Screen shot 2019-05-20 at 3.35.31 PM.png Screen shot 2019-05-20 at 3.40.01 PM.png

8. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Friend of Leo's

4 Boss pedals ( same ones for 20+years)daisy chained together

(1) One Spot plugged into TU-2 Tuner Power IN, Daisy-chain comes out of Tuner's Power OUT to other 3 pedals ( could power 2 more, but I don't need...)

Easy to connect/trouble shoot, good buffers from Boss, compact.

24 track likes this.
  9. 24 track

I have a similar set up for the boss pedals, TS9 and Blues driver , there would be no issues as they all have a similar power requirment and a one spot daisy chain would be fine or the Voodoolabs PS , its the high powered stuff thats the issue and a pain, multiple voltage, current draw , polarity , and voltage type ( AC/AC or AC/DC) then you get the propriatory end layout a real Pita

10. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

If I had a need for that many wall warts I'd be looking at a dedicated high end PS. If I didn't have cash for that I'd color code - match a little sticker to each device and each wart that it goes with. Plug in green to green, etc. Sounds like you'll run out of colors pretty quickly though.

Myself, I went to all-analog pedals partly so I could make use of a Volto 3. No wall wart. Just charge up the Volto and I get many hours of pedal use, plugged into nada. Plop down the board, push a button, plug in both ends, I'm good. Doesn't work for digital pedals or big boards of course.

24 track likes this.
  11. 24 track

I have one of those brother P-Touch lable makers so all the active wall warts are marked for their devices , all the spares are labled for voltage, amps, and polarity ,

one of the best investments ever,

c00d5f77c681e846cb51c1be0a6cc1df.jpg

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.