Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

How do you explain the Beatles?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Ribsspare, Jan 21, 2019.

1. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 9, 2008
    Detroit
    ^^^ 3 things - and maybe all are true :

1.) The Beatles are the greatest

2.) The Beatles suck

3.) Everyone has bands they worship and bands they can do without. Sometimes yours and mine can be diametrically opposed .

Now let’s all go listen to some Kinks ! :lol:

But see, even there troubles arise. My 1965/66-loving rock snob buddy swears Face To Face is their greatest record while I think Village Green and Muswell Hillbillies are tremendous. And he really doesnt care for those two !

And the world spins around...

Last edited: Jan 25, 2019
    David Barnett and JuneauMike like this.
  2. P Thought

P Thought Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

My friend Harry said this is when and why they stopped performing live, that they couldn't reproduce the expected sounds on stage with the technology then available.

Then he (Harry) died.

3. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    They alone are the reason we had big guitar amps for 40 years or so, to drown out the screaming girls.

4. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

May 2, 2003
    Wisco
    My fave Kinks albums are Muswell Hillbillies and Give the People What They Want. The Kinks hipsters around here don't even know those albums, It's all Arthur (or the Decline etc etc) and Village Green Preservation Society

5. wtk0315

wtk0315 Tele-Holic

Sep 21, 2013
    Houston area
    This thread is nuts lol. Like watching a trainwreck.

I'll try to answer the OP, that's the purpose of these threads, correct?

The Beatles were a highly influential British pop band from the early '60s. They amassed a substantial catalogue of recorded music despite not being together that long. Their influence on rock, pop, and multiple other genres of music can still be heard and is often cited today, almost 50 years after they disbanded.

Now for my Beatles hot takes!

I never cared for the Beatles but it seems in my age group (Born in '88) it's not uncommon to go to school with someone who's a ridiculously dedicated Beatles fan. Especially when you've got a group of guys/gals all learning to play instruments around the same time frame. Anywho, that's pretty much the definition of having a lasting influence, when fledgling musicians are drawing influence from a band 4 decades later.

After I watched "Across the Universe", I had to come to terms with the fact that I enjoy many Beatles songs. The caveat, however, is I really only enjoy their songs when another artist/group is covering them. Oh and "Let it Be." I love that song.

6. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Tele-Afflicted

Aug 24, 2014
    PNW
    The Beatles were a musical and cultural phenomenon whose influence can still be realized today?

Anyway, I always loved this quote, so I put some pictures and words to it.

beatles2.png

In the meantime, John and The Beatles become the biggest musical sensation in history, playing to a (then) record crowd of 56,000 people at Shea Stadium in August 1965.

7. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity

They stopped performing live because they were sick of the grind of touring. This freed them to make music without the burden of having to then go and play it live.

8. flathd

flathd Friend of Leo's

Jan 29, 2008
    Twin Cities,MN
    No, I believe William was Number 9, Number 9, Number 9, Number 9.....

....:confused::confused::confused:

SecretSquirrel likes this.
  9. Fenderdad1950

Fenderdad1950 TDPRI Member

Feb 4, 2019
    Albuquerque
    They played thru Vox Ac30s, enough said . Oh yeah, Brian May did too ... and then there was ......

10. Manual Slim

Manual Slim Tele-Afflicted

Mar 21, 2017
    B
    Thanks to viewers like us!

brookdalebill likes this.
  11. DrPepper

DrPepper Tele-Holic

Nov 24, 2017
    Texas
  12. trouserpress

trouserpress Tele-Meister

May 4, 2015
    Leipzig
  13. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Fort Collins, CO
    I've yet to meet a person who doesn't know who the Beatles were. I do remember a friend telling me he overheard two girls in a record store and one said to the other, "Oh, look. Paul Mc Cartney was in a band before Wings."

trouserpress likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.