Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

How do you explain the Beatles?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Ribsspare, Jan 21, 2019.

1. Ribsspare

Ribsspare Tele-Meister

Aug 26, 2011
    East Coast
    There’s a lot of people out there who never heard of the Beatles. From time to time, when the topic of music comes up and suddenly I mention a Beatles reference, people don’t know what I’m talking about.

If they’re confused, for my explaining, I keep it simple. I just briefly say that they were a famous band from England and that’s it.

2. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

May 2, 2003
    Wisco
    Right place, right time to become the boomers' favorite boyband of all time.

3. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity

Dec 8, 2010
    Up North
    They was FAB!
    Very GEAR!

4. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Mar 3, 2003
    Athens-GREECE
    I never thought that so many people lived under a rock.

Mugs, Jimmy Dean, Doctorx33 and 12 others like this.
  5. sjwieczorkow

sjwieczorkow Tele-Holic

Jun 10, 2008
    Milwaukee
    Oh, you would be surprised.

nojazzhere likes this.
  6. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 16, 2003
    Godzone
    People aren't computers. They need the data punched in twice....

Chunkocaster likes this.
  7. JayFreddy

JayFreddy Poster Extraordinaire

Nov 6, 2006
    Dallas TX USA
    Anyone I would consider a friend doesn't need me to explain.

FWIW, only women with serious 'tude can sing and play "Norwegian Wood"...

Just sayin'... ;)

howardlo likes this.
  8. 1300 E Valencia

1300 E Valencia Tele-Afflicted

Dec 13, 2010
    Fullerton CA
    Unfortunately, history is dead. If it didn't happen in the last 15 minutes, it's not worth remembering. At least for the next 15 minutes.

To be fair, some of this must be the result of just too damn much info to process. We, all of us, can only deal with stuff that's on the front burner. There ain't no time to learn about the past because the future is coming at you way too fast. (Yes, I did that on purpose.)

9. WingedWords

WingedWords Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Feb 4, 2015
    UK and EU
    A famous band from Liverpool and didn't they let you know it.

If you weren't there, it's difficult to understand how completely they took over the commercial music world here in the UK.

10. Ribsspare

Ribsspare Tele-Meister

Aug 26, 2011
    East Coast
    I would say Liverpool but the thing is that here in America, a lot of people are bad with geography and don’t know many European cities except for the really famous ones like London, Rome and Paris. I know it sounds silly but that’s the reality.

thunderbyrd and nojazzhere like this.
  11. WingedWords

WingedWords Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Feb 4, 2015
    UK and EU
    Point taken. Although Liverpudlians are so proud of their city I'm not sure they worry about which country it's in.

And they're right - it's a fine city and still celebrates its famous sons. Make sure it's high on your "to visit" list if you ever come to the UK.

12. JuneauMike

JuneauMike Friend of Leo's

May 5, 2015
    Alaska
    They were an important and groundbreaking rock band. They changed the definition of rock music. They opened up new paradigms of how a band could interact with its label, its material and its fans. They changed how albums were made and how they were viewed by the consumer and critics. They crossed the rubicon of rock music as a respected art form. They showed the market that consumers were more sophisticated than previously assumed.

They were an autonimous music machine that to this day bands still emulate in one way or another.

They threw away the uniforms, rejected the heavy-handed A&R control, got off the need-a-pop-single treadmill, basically dumped "the act" and refused to be owned. Pretty much everything the boy bands embrace.

13. Robert H.

Robert H. Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Jul 28, 2005
    N. Cal.
    Th Beatles were their own music genre.

14. dickey

dickey Tele-Holic

Jan 2, 2010
    Florida
    Best description I have heard so far!

Mugs, Jerry J, djh22 and 2 others like this.
  15. drmmrr55

drmmrr55 Tele-Meister

Aug 20, 2017
    Federal Way, Washington
    Seeing that they broke up 50 years ago, it's not surprising that there are a lot of people here who don't really know who they are. There's been several different generations of music lovers since then, and we tend to like the popular music of the generation we grew up in.

Not that there is music that's not from MY generation that isn't great, it's just my exposure to it is little to none, so it makes total sense to me. There is a lot of great music, and artists that I've never heard of.

You have to listen to The Beatles ENTIRE catalog to understand their place in the development of music, and recording, and the genius of George Martin and Geoff Emerick, and the natural talent, and ability to grow as artists that the Beatles had, especially in the short time they were around.

A good example of different generations (not music related), has anyone seen the Youtube video of the young kids trying to figure out how to use a rotary dial telephone? These are people who don't what life was like before cell phones, computers, the internet, and cable TV....it's a riot! LOL

Last edited: Jan 21, 2019
  16. Mid Life Crisis

Mid Life Crisis Friend of Leo's

Jan 12, 2007
    Cambridge, England
    :rolleyes:

17. Ribsspare

Ribsspare Tele-Meister

Aug 26, 2011
    East Coast
    I think one of the many reasons why so many people have never heard of the Beatles is because of the internet and easy access to music on YouTube, etc...

With the enormous amount of music out there, a lot of extremely famous musicians from the past have become unknown and people are in their own bubble. It’s sort of like an individualized society now rather than collective.

I’m not saying if it’s good or bad though. It’s subjective I guess.

Flakey likes this.
  18. Martinp

Martinp Tele-Afflicted

Mar 17, 2003
    Westbury, N.Y.
    my wife loves the Beatles, me, I hear too much Everly Brothers there

19. jrblue

jrblue Tele-Holic

Nov 14, 2010
    Santa Barbara
    Well, that first post got the responses it deserved.

20. El Marin

El Marin Tele-Holic

Mar 19, 2014
    Madrid, Spain, EU
    I would say: A mediocre band that happened to start playing in the right time at the right place once Buddy holly was dead and just took and copied his style of mellow Pop focused on naive girls who didn't like music. The worst thing is that they become overrated by people who didn't liked rock'n'roll or music and started the bad pop music we have to hear since then. That people who doesn't like music are now a kind of Beatles talibans and will never stand, let or even try to understand that many people just don't like what they worship

Let the war begin... :lol:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.