How do You do it?

Discussion in 'Tab, Tips, Theory and Technique' started by jarpat, Apr 18, 2019.

1. jarpat

jarpat Tele-Meister

Headstock and string ends?

Leaving the whole string uncut might be not so dangerous, but looks really messy and "hippie".
    Cutting the extra string away guarantees that some day it will puncture your finger tip.

I do not like too much of "Jacksons or Floyd Roses", but stringing them is clever. Because You can not get the string end (with the ball) through the bridge hole, I've stringed it through the tuning axel. The ball stays there on the headstock and on the bridge I just cut away the extra and stick the string end in to the bridge - no worries there!

But on a "normal" guitar - how do You do with the string ends? Leave it messy, or dangerous - or something else?

Of course there's the ideal fender shaft too where You can "hide" the string end inside the tuning pole, but that's something I don't have on every guitar..

strings.jpg

Last edited: Apr 18, 2019
  2. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity

Haha I stick to Fenders with the vintage style split shafts so I never have the ends giving me trouble!
    I do have a few without the split and just cut the ends as short as possible to avoid punctures.
    There's always locking tuners to hide the ends, and I'm looking for a set of aluminum Sperzels for a LP with Grovers on it.

nojazzhere, JL_LI and Chunkocaster like this.
  3. awasson

awasson Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

All of my Fenders have split shaft vintage and surprise surprise, my first real guitar, an Ibanez Artist Series semi-hollowbody came with hybrid tuners that are split and also have a hole like regular tuners. I use them as split shaft and have no worries.

4. beagle

beagle Friend of Leo's

I don't own any "normal" guitars. ;)

5. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Friend of Leo's

Vintage split shaft tuners here so no problems, on my grover tuner guitars I cut the string as close as possible to the post. I do the z bend thing so no troublesome knots to hamper the string ends being close to the shaft.

6. VintageSG

VintageSG Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

On sub-normal guitars that insist on displaying hypodermic weaponry, I snip to around 3-5mm after stretching out and tuning to pitch, then bend the offending stabulata at 90 degrees downwards. This ensures the fluffy case liners and my delicate fingers remain unviolated.

Tonetele and thebowl like this.
  7. Matthias

Matthias Tele-Afflicted

Split shaft is nice and neat... all tuners should be like that!

Other tuners, snip them off and bend inwards around the post so you don’t cut your hand while turning the pegs!

nojazzhere likes this.
  8. LKB3rd

LKB3rd Friend of Leo's

I spin the ends into a little pigtail around the peghead(doubling back opposite direction to lock it in place), then cut it with an inch or so of curl. This gives it some suspension and movement so if it pokes me it won't go straight in like a hypodermic needle!

Cantbreak100guy likes this.
  9. T Prior

T Prior Poster Extraordinaire

non fender posts, short leader, 5 wraps minimum with continued tension.

Neat and clean

10. fasteddie42

fasteddie42 Tele-Holic

Ive grown to really like vintage fender style tuners.

If I dont hace one of those, I usually leave a little tail (few mm) and then fold/kink the the tail tightly to the tuner shaft.

Keep dem sharpies from poke'n!

11. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

Locking tuners, cut nearly flush. Some of the tuners I have actually snip the end automatically when you tighten em. No pokies.

guitartwonk and Treadplatedual like this.
  12. WireLine

WireLine Tele-Afflicted

If the split is present, I’ll use it. Either way I try to limit excess wraps to 2-3 turns. Each string gets one over and 2 under the string connection.

guitartwonk likes this.
  13. macatt

macatt Tele-Holic

Those cut strings ends can rip the heck out of the inside of a gig bag too.
    I cut the ends with enough room left to bend them in towards the headstock with needle nose pliers; like this. (usually a little shorter than pictured)
    Don't let them touch the headstock itself and scratch it.
    [​IMG]
    S Mac

DonM likes this.
  14. Axis29

Axis29 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

I use the knot method of securing the strings, minimal wraps and then use diagonal flush cutters to cut as tight to the mess as possible. I have one pair of cutters that are used for only this purpose. They sit in my guitar maintenance toolbox. This has worked for me for a good number of years now.

thegeezer likes this.
  15. Junkyard Dog

Junkyard Dog Tele-Afflicted

I cut the excess string with wire cutters. Not any special guitar tool...just plain old hand held non-powered wire cutters. Haven’t been injured yet!

16. Treadplatedual

Treadplatedual Tele-Meister

On my non-locking, I wrap as little as possible and cut to within 3/8.

On my locking, I cut as close to flush as possible and try to keep less than 1 whole wrap around the post, much better tuning stability that way.

17. Moriarty

Moriarty Tele-Meister

You can cut the excess string?
    How have I missed this?
    Kidding aside I usually just cut the excess off all but the low E, which I make a loop out of because I know it annoys other guitarists. Yes

18. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

I cut them to about 1/4 inch, then use needle-nose pliers to bend the pokey ends into a question-mark shape to avoid bloodshed.

telemnemonics likes this.
  19. ASATKat

ASATKat Tele-Holic

Why have those dangerous pokers,, how about none? I got this tip from Steve Kimock.

Lots of wraps
    Wrap a few winds on the high side of the pegs string/hole, then the rest of the wraps go underneath the string/hole. Break the string by tight circular movements at the base where excess string meet the hole.

No pokers and excellent grip, if done correctly there's no need to tighten up any slack or 'stretch', just tune and go on stage.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/K5Z8P39yNzZc6kcw7

https://photos.app.goo.gl/oqLrPVSaHsW2LZcZ7

Last edited: Apr 18, 2019
  20. ronzhd

ronzhd Tele-Meister

Clip em close on my guitars with out split shafts, and get them close to the post. Rarely get bit anymore unless I'm not paying attention.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.