How Do You Date a Mid-to-late '60's Tele Body With No Neck?

Discussion in 'Vintage Tele Discussion Forum (pre-1974)' started by sgtsteiner, May 11, 2019.

1. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Here's some alleged '68s on Reverb.
    The first one has a very different looking finish, but could be the finish transitioned in 68 and yours is the earlier. Ferrules look a little crooked.

https://reverb.com/p/fender-telecas...AkYASABEgLJ2vD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds&hfid=17995035

The second also looks like the inconsistent/ or later finish, with no wear clues, but shows what I think of as the typical crooked ferrules.

https://reverb.com/item/20156707-1968-fender-telecaster-blonde

The third is stripped but shows the crooked ferrules.

https://reverb.com/item/20469724-19...x0jrATUEAkYAiABEgJaVfD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds&pla=1

2. toomuchfun

toomuchfun Tele-Holic

The diagonal route on the top disappeared in '69. the ferrules started protruding in '66. I think the best you can say is '66 to '69.

telemnemonics likes this.
  3. sgtsteiner

sgtsteiner Tele-Meister

Are we sure the ferrules started protruding in '66? Also - what year was white undercoat first used? Obviously i'll need to take the neck off at some point hoping it will shed more light on things.

The body is not a repro. The guitar has a provenance and was checked out by a vintage Fender expert.

By the way, this is one of the best sounding/playing Teles I've had the pleasure of owning :)

4. Larmo63

Larmo63 Tele-Afflicted

The body doesn't look like a repro to these untrained eyes.

Why not take the neck off? It's four screws.

Off, pictures, back on.

5. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

Again, that's not a white "undercoat," as in a primer. It's Oly White acrylic color coats, with naturally yellowed nitro clear coat over it. The part of your finish that appears yellow is nothing but clear coat; the acrylic white color coats stay [mostly] white. That's the way Oly White was applied from its first use in the early '60s, until it started being done in urethane. The only exception would be some of the early Oly White instruments, which were not clear coated, and hence have stayed a purer white as they have aged. And Oly White lacquer did continue to be used in the Fender factory, even after the switch to urethane. As were blue (similar to Daphne), burst color coats, clear, red (similar to Dakota), and black lacquers – all through the late '60s and '70s. Fender standard 3TSB finishes in the urethane years were still nitro color coats underneath the clear urethane shells...and headstock faces were nitro, because it interacted better with the decals (that's why you see headstock faces that are far more yellowed than the rest of the neck).

There'd be nothing special about a primer being used or not, as it was standard practice (though not always practiced) on opaque "custom color" Fenders that were finished in lacquer.

I have never heard that ferrules started protruding in '66, myself. I always heard it discussed as part of the bunch of '68 changes.

Last edited: May 12, 2019
    2 Headed Goat and telemnemonics like this.
  6. drf64

drf64 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

7. sgtsteiner

sgtsteiner Tele-Meister

Just got back from the tech and took neck pocket pics. Does this help identify the age better? The second set of dark numbers was underneath a thin shiv cemented into the pocket so I couldn't get a clean look at them. Thanks for any insight, guys!

[​IMG]

8. memorex

memorex Friend of Leo's

When you said mid to late 60s with no neck, I thought you were talking about me.

tlarson16, Antoon and fernieite like this.
  9. sgtsteiner

sgtsteiner Tele-Meister

I've compared the stamps in my pocket to a couple others (including toomuchfun's) and I'm pretty convinced now the body is a '68. Thanks for everyone's help and insight.

10. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Tele-Holic

Mid to late 60's with no neck perfectly defines my mother in law.

11. fernieite

fernieite Tele-Meister

You probably don't want to date her then! :twisted:

tlarson16, Danman and SecretSquirrel like this.
  12. zmix

zmix TDPRI Member

My 1972 tele has protruding ferrules (and 1966 pots), and my 1974 Olympic White Strat has the same yellowed nitrocellulose overspray.. KIF_1466.JPG

13. vintageampz

vintageampz TDPRI Member

Well bring Flowers ....but since she has no neck, forget the wine, with no neck, swallowing is a real problem. ;)

14. Wolfman202020

Wolfman202020 TDPRI Member

Hi I have had a few early 60’s fenders and around 1961 Fender started using a thinner Rosewood fretboard than 59’ and 60’. The fretboard on this looks like the earlier ones. Do you know If they went back to the thicker Rosewood board by 68’? Does this one have the inked stamp date?

15. Wolfman202020

Wolfman202020 TDPRI Member

Isn’t there a wooden plug through the body, like the ones on the back of the headstock and the heel of the neck on a Duo Sonic, musicmasters and mustangs

16. PJ55

PJ55 Poster Extraordinaire

That's the same color as my 70. What do the tuners look like? A '66 would have had the '60s decal and Klusons and (I believe) the "F" tuners showed-up in '69?

Attached Files:

17. toomuchfun

toomuchfun Tele-Holic

You missed post #5.

18. sgtsteiner

sgtsteiner Tele-Meister

Hey Guys - the neck is from early '59. So it has Klusons, not F tuners.

19. skunqesh

skunqesh Tele-Meister

in my humble experience - I've got four late 60s blondes (well, one's a stripper, but was a blonde)
    two bonafide 67s, both with flush ferrules and nitro finishes (& threaded saddles fwiw).
    One 68 tele with raised ferrules, yet still has cloth wiring (all pots date to '66) - seems to have a poly finish but I'm not sure
    I've got what I think is either a 68 or 69 with a Bigsby - and definitely a poly finish. also cloth wiring.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.