Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

How do you bail on a band?

Discussion in 'Band Wagon' started by swampyankee, Mar 27, 2018.

1. Frank'n'censed

Frank'n'censed Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 27, 2011
    Parts Unknown
    ”How do you bail on a band?”

Give it some serious thought before you make hay

2. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 15, 2014
    Maine
    Hop on the bus, Gus.

Radspin likes this.

3. mgreene

mgreene Tele-Holic

Jan 27, 2010
    south carolina
    NO, No, no! You guys are all wrong - you want them to think its their idea.

So do like I did, get super drunk before a big gig and then throw up on your own shoes, preferably right before the second set.

Or do like my X-pal Danny, and get so high that you cant play in time; in this case what until the record execs have come to see you and are in the audience. :D

Jimmy Owen and Mike Eskimo like this.

4. MilwMark

MilwMark Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Apr 29, 2013
    near Arnold's
    Why can’t you you just tell them you can’t commit to so many gigs and you want to part on good terms? Presumably the other guys are adults, if they are retired.

INFANT likes this.

5. teletimetx

teletimetx Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Jul 25, 2011
    Houston, TX
    one thing that will also be less bridge burning is to offer to be available as a sub, if they end up short-handed for a gig.

INFANT likes this.

6. swampyankee

swampyankee Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Feb 5, 2015
    Southeastern MA
    No, the "part-time job" is actually a real estate partnership with my wife. Telling her I'm quitting No quitting that! Besides, we're building a business I can take up when I finally retire several years from now.

I hate to think ill on people, but I was expecting that one of the older guys' declining health would get to the point where they would have to quit - which would probably result in band breaking up. Doesn't look like that's happening any time soon though.

I guess I'll just have to be the quitter... I've pretty much decided to give notice after the last April gig scheduled for the 13th. The next one after that will be early May, which should give them time to bring the keyboardist up to speed.

7. Flat6Driver

Flat6Driver Friend of Leo's

Jan 14, 2013
    DC Burbs
    I was in a similar situation. A hobby. In fact it was a private jam where we were working on skills for the fun of it. The host was a guitar player and a second guitar player responded before I did. So I played bass. I wasn't very good at it, but I took it seriously. In fact NONE of use were very good at it. It was for working on skills in a no pressure environment. We did a couple of open mics and then the second guitar player (not the host) decided that he wanted to seek out gigs. 1. They were retired and had more time and 2. I wasn't comfortable enough in my bass playing to seeks gigs. 3. The original premise was not gigging. I bowed out and told them as much, but it was also a crushing blow to drive all the way across town for me. They tried out a replacement and the "band" folded shortly afterwards.... Guitar 2 formed his own project. It's not the end of the world and we all still talk.

8. Sollipsist

Sollipsist Tele-Holic

Aug 25, 2016
    I once knew a guy who said he needed to take a year and half off for hip surgery. Seemed to work pretty well for him.

9. INFANT

INFANT Tele-Meister

Apr 12, 2011
    Stoney Creek, Ontario
    As I stated earlier, I'm going thru the exact same thing, your story is almost identical to mine. They are all retired, lots of time on their hands, they want to make some cash. I have a job, I play as a hobby, I'm in the process of renovating my son's house in my spare time. I can't play more than one or two gigs/mth and I put that on the table when I started.

So here is the thing....you can't wait till the 13th to tell them if they have another gig in early May. It only gives them a few weeks to find a replacement and will actually put you in the doghouse with them. Tell them now and offer to play any gigs in May if they don't find a replacement. The guys in my band have been supposedly looking for my replacement since mid-February but they know that after April 21, I'm out. Either I'm REALLY, REALLY good or they are not looking in the right places. The new bass player is the treasurer of the local musician guild. I'm sure he can quickly find a guitar player in their directory.

They have told me that they would like to be able to call me from time to time if needed so therefore, I haven't burned any bridges. If they call me to play the first gig after I leave, then I will politely decline as I know they're just using me as a crutch.

So tell them now, DO NOT PROLONG IT!

Tele1966 likes this.

10. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Friend of Leo's

Apr 3, 2015
    Winchester, VA
    I once left a band that I founded, which made me look like a bit of a douche... but anyway, I told them I was done after our last gig that was booked at the time. That way I could say I fulfilled my obligation.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2018
    Tele1966 likes this.

11. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Friend of Leo's

Apr 3, 2015
    Winchester, VA
    I see that the intent here is good, but I personally think it is a bad idea because it's kind of like halfway breaking up with a girlfriend. Rip the Band-Aid off all the once.

MilwMark likes this.

12. GotTheSilver

GotTheSilver TDPRI Member

Jan 4, 2015
    Houston, TX
    Just say, "Hey, man. I slept with your wife last night."

13. Ricky D.

Ricky D. Poster Extraordinaire

Oct 22, 2006
    Raleigh, North Carolina
    If it was me, I'd give them a hard last day of April 13 and play that last gig. Then they can sink or swim from there.

They have the keyboard guy, and they have a month to get ready for May. You have two jobs and that house project. The only wiggle room is your leaving sooner, not later.

14. codamedia

codamedia Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2009
    Western Canada
    When I leave a band it is always amicable. Burning any bridges is not an option ...

I provide a hard date that will be my last.... usually a couple months down the road... more than enough time to work in someone new.
    I agree to fulfill any dates up to that point, but I also offer to step aside if they find someone earlier.

15. swampyankee

swampyankee Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Feb 5, 2015
    Southeastern MA
    That's just it. They really don't need 2 guitarists since the keyboard player joined. If anything, the other guitarist and I are competing for the same guitar parts - and since it's his band, he wins.

I may tell them shortly before the last gig in April, just so they can start preparing. But if I know the leader (and I know how he thinks), he'll get really bitter and say "Off with you. We don't need you for that last gig."

16. MilwMark

MilwMark Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Apr 29, 2013
    near Arnold's
    Is that a problem? Either you want to leave or your don't, right?

17. Tele1966

Tele1966 Friend of Leo's

Jul 30, 2014
    US
    Do everyone a favor and let them plan from right now. Why wouldn't you tell them right now?

18. Mid Life Crisis

Mid Life Crisis Friend of Leo's

Jan 12, 2007
    Cambridge, England
    Agree. What if they start booking more gigs before you plan to tell them?

INFANT and Tele1966 like this.

19. Beachbum

Beachbum Friend of Leo's

Mar 11, 2009
    Sand Land
    When I quit my last band I had put about a year of my time into it. They not only understood but they took me out to our favorite sports bar and we all spent the evening talking trash and promising not to loose touch. . If after having donated, and I emphasize the word donated, three years of you life to them they decide to give you grief about it then you've learned that they aren't really worthy of your concern. Just pick up your guit, tell em you quit and you don't give a ...........

Jakedog and Tele1966 like this.

20. jonrpick

jonrpick Friend of Leo's

Mar 17, 2014
    Marietta, GA
    To the OP:

You seem like you really dislike conflict. That's perfectly ok, but if your description of the band and its leader are accurate it sounds like there will be conflict either way.

In which case, you're simply procrastinating under the guise of trying to be nice about it.

The facts are:

1) They don't NEED you (according to you) since you're competing for space with another guitarist (and the keyboard player is filling out the rest).
    2) They will (according to what you've said) be angry and bitter about you leaving...period. Doesn't matter if it's today or 6 months from now.

There's others that have come up but those two are the most glaring.

I think you're probably being a bit too nice for your own good. Trying to be tactful is completely understood and appreciated, but not to the point where you're making yourself unhappy.

Put in notice. Today.

If you get told that your services are no longer needed going forward, great... more sleep and time to dedicate to your other endeavors will begin immediately. If they agree you should stay through the end of next month, great... more spending money for your home renovation.

Jakedog, INFANT and Tele1966 like this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.