Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

How do y'all feel about locking tuners?

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by thecrow, Nov 30, 2016.

1. 1955

1955 Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 10, 2010
    Certain uncertainty
    As an aside, I would have gladly added 2 pounds to my headstock if it meant that the tuners held the string to the post.

I went through one type of locker which failed in a couple of gigs, then tried another kind that didn't have a rubber gasket.

Though it altered the appearance of my headstock and added a little weight, I was so happy when I finally found a solution to my problem!

Lockers do (at least the kind I installed,) in fact help tuning stability to a very noticeable level on a hard tail tele with no trem bar.

I know this because I have an extremely strong left hand that pulls any strings flat, and can at times with strumming achieve the same result.

On countless guitars, over many years, if I was not gingerly, I would do this to any guitar put in front of me, only a tad less so on very heavy strings like 13-56 acoustics that were broken in well.

I stretched, I prepped, I tried many methods, I played many other people's guitars that they were never able to knock out of tune themselves.

The string itself will pull from the post much easier without a locker, and especially noticeable if you do forceful downward bends and strum hard, no matter the prep and load method.

Since I installed the lockers, it is a night and day difference. Cold/hot extremes still will play a role, but combining stretching and careful winding, combined with the right lockers, tuning stability on a regular tele is improved at least 80 percent (in my case.)

I got over the look and additional weight in about 5 minutes. Now I focus on playing my guitar, and am not afraid neck vibrato, etc.

To everyone that doesn't need them, your technique is probably much better than mine, but I do think there are players that lockers are more suited for.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2016
    sjruvolo, Steve_U1S and awasson like this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.