Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

How do y'all feel about locking tuners?

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by thecrow, Nov 30, 2016.

1. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

They're at least an ounce lighter than the comparable Schaller locker, but one thing they are not is compact:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The bulkiness of these things drives me nuts. It is like the designers there were anxious the product would fail and so they oversized it, to get their feet planted in the market, with the intention of miniaturizing them later on or something. But even these get busted. Don't overtighten a thumbscrew and for sure don't lose one either!

1955 likes this.

2. boris bubbanov

I hear you but I think from what I've seen, that that is backward.

More and more players, even older individuals. and they've never gotten the "secret handshake" as to how to make use of splits. They've had chances to try lockers and they vector easily towards them. Sometimes it seems like just two things guide some of the newer players: One, they wanna change the pickups for the fun of it and Two, they've got to try lockers. Especially since the conversion can be so fast and trouble free.

Oh, and Three, they wanna put a Bone Nut on the guitar but they don't want to buy a set of files.

3. Chicago Matt

Chicago Matt Tele-Afflicted

Aug 23, 2014
    Woodstock
    I suppose this might be true. I have to admit I don't use the wang bar on my Strats. I use all 5 springs and deck that thing. :)

4. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Aug 17, 2012
    Seattle
    Mine's decked and blocked. :D

Chicago Matt likes this.

5. Misty Mountain

Misty Mountain Tele-Meister

Sep 4, 2015
    Seattle

6. Coolmody

Coolmody TDPRI Member

Nov 26, 2016
    France
    I got myself a set of Planet waves locking tuners with trim lock. It makes changing strings a breeze and it keeps the strings in tune longer than non locking tuners. I left my guitar untouched for 3 days and it stayed in tune. When you are playing it it gets out of tuned from time to time.

7. jonrpick

jonrpick Tele-Afflicted

Mar 17, 2014
    Marietta, GA
    Wow... so much weird info in this thread. Misinformation and lots of wild assumptions...

Let's see...

"Lockers are heavier" - Some non-lockers are heavier than others. Who cares? BTW, that's not really true. The locking Kluson-style tuners on one of my Les Pauls are the same weight as the Klusons they replaced. My other Les Paul has locking Grovers, that weigh the same as the Grover Rotomatics they replaced.

"I can restring just as fast with non-lockers" - Good for you. Is it a competition? Who exactly does string changing at the competitive level? Does it matter? What does one "win"? I have both types on my guitars. It's definitely faster with lockers.

"Lockers do/don't help with tuning stability" - They probably don't help much on hard tails. I don't use them for tuning stability. I prefer strings changes with them. It's faster.

This one was weird: "Locking tuners are too sensitive. I can't make minute adjustments as easily". That has nothing to do with the locking or non-locking function of a tuner. That's the gear ratio, man... BTW, as I recall, Sperzels are the worst with like a 12:1 ratio. My old ones that I don't use anymore are, anyway.

Oh... I didn't see it mentioned: There's two types of lockers. The kind with the knob on the back (Sperzels and Schallers--I hate both) and the "locking post" type like my Kluson and Rotomatics. No thumb screw. Pull string through the hole, start tuning. No winding. As soon as it locks, cut off the excess. Done.

Frodebro and awasson like this.

8. VWAmTele

VWAmTele Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Feb 24, 2005
    FL
    I put Fender locking tuners on my Cab. Love them. They make changing strings much faster and are rock solid holding tune.

[​IMG]

sjruvolo likes this.

9. lammie200

lammie200 Tele-Holic

Jan 11, 2013
    San Francisco
    These are slightly lighter than the German made Schallers that work the same way. Also these will accept a few different types of Hipshot buttons to make them even lighter. Maybe not as light as the vintage style, but I like a little more mass at the headstock anyway. 18:1 ratio and they work great IMHO.

jonrpick likes this.

10. jonrpick

jonrpick Tele-Afflicted

Mar 17, 2014
    Marietta, GA
    My Grover Rotomatic lockers are also 18:1. Very smooth.

11. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 20, 2011
    Englewood, CO
    I'm against it. If feel they should be able to come and go as they please. :rolleyes:

12. gtrjunior

gtrjunior Tele-Holic

Nov 14, 2016
    NorthEast U.S.
    "Free Range" strings? Lol

soulman969 and jonrpick like this.

13. TRexF16

TRexF16 Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2011
    Tucson
    Here's a little trick you might like - you have your staggered tuners installed exactly right IF you wanted to try a "no string tree" option. But since you have a string tree for the e and B strings, try swapping the shortest tuners into the positions for the G and D strings, and put the current intermediate height G/D tuners where the e/B are now. You'll get the same break angle as ever for the e/B due to the string tree, but you'll get an improved break angle for the G/D.

Just a thought,
    Rex

boris bubbanov likes this.

14. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Ad Free Member

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    I like 'em. I have the Gotoh ones that look like the vintage slotted ones, Planet waves ones, and a few others. Quick and easy and no downside for me.

15. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 16, 2014
    Auburn, California
    My Strat came with them. I like'em. Easier to string the guitar.

16. boris bubbanov

There is one thing that's kinda weird. I hope I have this recalled correctly. When going from other kinds of splits to regular non locking Gotoh splits, a lot of the specifications (bus ID, OD, post diameter) change, but when going to the Gotoh LOCKING "splits" (same vintage style), those interchange with the Pings and Klusons and so forth, and no so well with their company cousins. I could be mistaken but all I am suggesting is, double check on this detail before going to convert Gotoh splits to their locking version.

Jupiter likes this.

17. boris bubbanov

Award for the most evasive, misleading, useless post in this thread. My apologies for whatever insult you perceive. Lockers are either heavier or they're not really the same thing at all. Stringing technique is always personal to the user, and anyone who is on the bandstand and needs a new string understands that the most important thing is Familiarity with what you're fooling with - nothing more important. When I recommend a Gotoh split in place of a Schaller or Sperzel locker, of course the ratio is different. This is not about people changing from Lockers to non locking versions of the very same die cast tuning machines. That's a Unicorn if I ever heard one.

18. awasson

awasson Friend of Leo's

Nov 18, 2010
    Vancouver
    I think these Gotoh vintage style, locking adjustable height tuners will go on my next build. They look good, the price is reasonable and I prefer locking tuners now that I've had a set on my other guitar. Adjustable posts mean I don't need string trees too.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/391353997785

19. Revv23

Revv23 Friend of Leo's

Oct 9, 2009
    Michigan
    I like the automatic ones that look like kluson. Just because its easier to change strings. I dont have tuning issues on any of my guitars i consider that a setup issue so thats the only benefit for me. None of my current guitars have them fwiw.

20. jonrpick

jonrpick Tele-Afflicted

Mar 17, 2014
    Marietta, GA
    There's nothing misleading, evasive, or certainly not useless in my post. If anything, I was responding to evasive, misleading and useless information that's spreading like wildfire in this thread. The thread is full of gross generalizations and wildly inaccurate information that may mislead *some* people who'd otherwise genuinely benefit from lockers into not buying them.

I was never "insulted". If I quoted or paraphrased YOUR post, I'm not trying to slam your opinion. I'll go ahead and say "sorry" if there was a misunderstanding. I wasn't trying to pick a fight with you, though you're clearly trying to pick one with me.

So, aside from your obviously abrasive opening statement, which is false, BTW, I agree with your statements that stringing technique is a personal thing. I agree that in the middle of a set with a waiting audience, replacing a broken string on the fly should be as quick and painless as possible. If you're able to do that best (due to your familiarity with your gear) with vintage splits, have at it. No one is stopping you or suggesting that you're wrong for doing so. I personally can deal with almost any tuner, as I've used pretty much everything at one point (used to restring customer instruments when I worked in a retail music shop).

But *I* personally feel that the locking post type of tuner, which doesn't add any considerable weight and which has a locking mechanism well North of the worm gear--thus not affecting the ratio, and which has no additional parts or steps (such as the thumb wheel on the back) is the fastest type of tuner I've ever used for string changes.

YMMV

awasson likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.