Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

How do y'all feel about locking tuners?

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by thecrow, Nov 30, 2016.

1. awasson

awasson Friend of Leo's

Nov 18, 2010
    Vancouver
    I've had no issues with my GFS lockers and I have had the strings off and on several times while removing the neck, pickups, pick guard, bridge etc... I'm almost done messing with it, I hope :cool:

2. JD0x0

JD0x0 Friend of Leo's

Feb 22, 2009
    New York
    I literally bought an entire set of locking tuners for a customers guitar last week.

$40.00 shipped. How much are you saving on regular non locking tuners compared to that? You were saying?

3. morky

morky Tele-Meister

Jun 23, 2016
    Athens, Greece
    Regarding people saying they prefer the look of the vintage tuners I have one thing to say. There are out there vintage looking locking tuners. The gotoh tuners I got on my Baja look exactly like the old ones and are locking. Making string change a breeze one string at a time!

awasson likes this.

4. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Aug 17, 2012
    Seattle
    I really don't get the confirmation bias exhibited in this thread. They're simply a hardware choice, just like three v.s. six saddle bridges, strap locks v.s. standard buttons, etc. If they aren't your cup of tea that's perfectly fine, but to rail on about their "inferiority" seems kinda goofy to me. They're just tuners, not a cure for cancer.

RoyBGood, awasson and Mike Simpson like this.

5. Chicago Matt

Chicago Matt Tele-Afflicted

Aug 23, 2014
    Woodstock
    The first question the OP asks is if the locking tuners help a guitar stay in tune longer. My answer is NO. If strings are installed and stretched properly, and the nut is cut correctly, any decent tuners will hold tune barring temperature changes. I especially like the vintage-style tuners on Fenders. No need for anything else IMO.

6. Frodebro

Aug 17, 2012
    Seattle
    This is 100% true for hardtail guitars, but trem-equipped guitars will benefit from lockers if used more than very subtly. The main tuning peg-related reason trem guitars go wonky on the tuning is the windings on the pegs shifting around when tension is reduced (depressing the trem bar) and returned to pitch. Lockers have no windings to shift around, so this issue is rectified.

awasson likes this.

7. Asmith

Asmith Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Nov 27, 2014
    Morley, England
    But how much tension is relieved off the tuner when you fully detune on a strat style tremolo, enough to cause slip? I think you'll get more issues due to binding at the bridge and even my old stock MIM strat had zero tuning issues with my setup and that included it's standard non-staggered tuners.

8. Frodebro

Aug 17, 2012
    Seattle
    If you dive-bomb far enough for the strings to go slack there is almost no tension left and there will be movement at the bridge, the nut, and the tuning pegs. If the saddles and nut are set up properly they are pretty much a non-issue. My PRS has their version of a Fender trem bridge, a graphite nut, and the Schaller/PRS locking tuners (the guitar is a 1990- see my avatar). This guitar is so stable in the tuning department that I can bomb the trem until the strings are loose and sticking to the pickup pole pieces, and it returns perfectly to tune.

9. sjruvolo

sjruvolo Tele-Meister

May 22, 2013
    New York
    Have them on all my guitars except my '70 LP Custom. IMHO the guitar stays in tune better if it has a trem but otherwise it's just the ease of changing strings that makes them my choice. The quality of locking tuners is no better or worse, for that matter, than non-locking machine heads.

10. Frodebro

Aug 17, 2012
    Seattle
    There are various quality levels, but you don't see much in the way of really junky ones (which is still an option with traditional machines).

11. Asmith

Asmith Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Nov 27, 2014
    Morley, England
    My point was that I could do the same on my fender strat,

stock tuners, stock nut, stock bridge, really hard pic attack and really heavy trem abuse

I recorded that about a year ago through a MS-4 so it sounds like crap haha but it was purely to demonstrate tuning stability

EDIT: Also the guitar is set up with round wound 0.009-0.042

Last edited: Dec 1, 2016

12. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 19, 2006
    Gilbert, AZ (PHX)
    I wonder how many that do not like locking tuners have actually used them. I probably never would have bought them but I bought a used neck that had the Planet Waves locking tuners on it and after playing the guitar for a few months I realized I really like them. I bought a set for my 2014 build challenge guitar and although that guitar has a Bigsby, I just like the tuners, they work great and I don't need a cutter to trim off the strings. I have several other guitars with the split shaft tuners and I like them too.

13. cabra velha

cabra velha Tele-Holic Platinum Supporter

Jan 21, 2016
    sub arctic
    Sperzels on on everything electric I've owned (non-vintage) for the last 10 years, I have all the tools and jigs so its a cheap and painless procedure. Back in the day (pre-gotoh-schaller-sperzel-whatever) Grovers were pretty much the only upgrade available and people used to file the bases on them so they would fit on a tele or strat headstock. I don't whammy much but I'm not sure there is much advantage with a locking tuner for modern tremolo systems, I just like the speed and ease of string changes.

14. lammie200

lammie200 Tele-Holic

Jan 11, 2013
    San Francisco
    I said it before in this thread, but if the weight of lockers like the Fender F-type bother you you can change out the buttons to something lighter. Not a huge difference, but Hipshot makes alternative buttons. In the end they can be about as light as the standard Fender sealed non-locking tuners.

15. JD0x0

JD0x0 Friend of Leo's

Feb 22, 2009
    New York
    Yeah, pretty sure Sperzels are mostly aluminum, and compact. The one's I have seem pretty light. They're lighter than the die cast non-locking tuners that came on my acoustic.

16. chris m.

chris m. Friend of Leo's

I always bring this up when it comes to tuning stability on vintage guitars with vintage tuners and bridges. Check out the Frudua Way YouTube videos on how to set up a guitar so it stays in tune even when dive bombing. When you follow this method it is amazing how well a guitar stays in tune. I use it on all tremolo guitars whether Jazzmaster-type, Bigsby, or Strat, and it works like a charm. It works so well that you pretty much have to try it to believe it. Watch this video for the first 52 seconds if you don't believe me. The rest of the video explains how to achieve this level of functionality with a vintage guitar.

fretwhizzy and Grant Austin like this.

17. Misty Mountain

Misty Mountain Tele-Meister

Sep 4, 2015
    Seattle
    I prefer vintage style tuners on both my Tele and strat. Good setups equal stay in tune.

18. awasson

awasson Friend of Leo's

Nov 18, 2010
    Vancouver

19. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

In before the locking tuners!

No wait, that's not right :oops:

20. gtrjunior

gtrjunior Tele-Holic

Nov 14, 2016
    NorthEast U.S.
    I love the locking tuners. I don't think that they necessarily improve tuning stability, provided we are comparing similar quality components. But they certainly aren't less stable either, IMO. And I do like that I can change strings much faster.

awasson likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.