Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

How do I paint designs onto the body?

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by joel_ostrom, Sep 9, 2010.

1. joel_ostrom

joel_ostrom Tele-Afflicted

Sep 11, 2006
    Calgary, AB
    Hey guys,

I was wondering what would be the best method to paint this sort of design onto a guitar body
    Picture 4.jpg

would i tape off the areas of one color, apply that coat, then let it dry then repeat the process for all the other areas?

what kind of stencil would be best to use in this case? tape? paper?

also, what would be the best way to have the design appear like this with a clear pickguard, without having the rout holes show through? would i have to paint the pickguard itself, then use a clear lacquer on it? or paint the underside of the pickguard? or maybe apply some sort of laminate top to the body?

any info is greatly appreciated
    Cheers!

2. twangplank

twangplank Tele-Afflicted

May 29, 2010
    Valliant Okla
    I would paint it white and do it in color layers. White then red, and then do the blue.

An overhead projector if you can get your hands on one would be very helpful

3. Bud Veazey

Bud Veazey Tele-Holic

Aug 3, 2010
    Lawrenceville, GA
  4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. Colt W. Knight

Colt W. Knight Doctor of Teleocity

Jan 21, 2007
    Tucson, AZ
    However, I would avoid the pickguard, and use pickup mounting rings instead, or you could route the pickup cavities from the rear, and install rear cavity covers, and paint them like you would the bare body.

6. Jmezz

Jmezz Tele-Meister

Nov 20, 2009
    Northeast Indiana
    +1 on this. Light to dark is how I've been taught too. You could use tape, but then you risk leaving a residue on the paint. I would go to your nearest hobby/art store and get a large roll of mylar and an x-acto knife. That's the best stuff to cut your own stencils from. One stencil for each color. Whatever you do; experiment on cardboard or newsprint first and shoot dry for the first coat.

7. Colt W. Knight

Colt W. Knight Doctor of Teleocity

Jan 21, 2007
    Tucson, AZ
    Automotive masking tape is specifically designed for this purpose.

8. Jmezz

Jmezz Tele-Meister

Nov 20, 2009
    Northeast Indiana
    Go with that then. I've only worked with painters tape and packaging tape (screen printing). Straight edges are key for that design so tape would work better.

9. treadwm

treadwm Tele-Meister

Sep 13, 2008
    Brunswick, Maine
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.