Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

How do I know my amp has to be serviced?

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by nosuch, Sep 3, 2017.

1. fender_freak

fender_freak Tele-Meister

Jul 13, 2017
    La Crosse, WI
    My 08 Tweed blues Jr that I had from 2011-2017 (traded it this past summer) had the OE tubes still, no issues. My dad's late 90s HRD still has the OE tubes with no issues and my 79 Vibrochamp still has the factory ones.

I get newer tubes might not be as good as old ones, but 12 years old should still have life left. If you're bored do it, otherwise you'd be just as well to leave it be.

2. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

Mar 2, 2003
    Lawndale CA
    None of those situations are unusual. If you like the way an amp sounds tubes do not need to be changed. That's not true, however, of necessary service like replacing filter and bias caps, and checking other electrolytics, coupling caps etc for leakage.

IMO many players change tubes for no reason, often because they think they must be "wearing out". It usually takes a *long* time for that to happen, even with regular use. I know some that change after every 10 gigs or some other arbitrary schedule, thinking they are getting "worn out". Bu there is no technical (or usually audible) reason to do so.

My '66 DR is played nearly every day - and I have no volume restrictions. Every tube is original with the "Fender" logo. Not that I haven't tried new ones - but they didn't sound as good. And it's on it's 3rd set of filter/bias caps.

3. zook

zook Friend of Leo's

Aug 6, 2003
    Cochise, AZ

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.