Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

how could it be at this price....?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by funkysoul, Dec 6, 2018.

1. notmyusualuserid

notmyusualuserid Tele-Afflicted

May 3, 2016
    In the South
    What you see may not be what you get ;)

I don't think Amazon will be too happy about AliExpress trading logo either

[​IMG]

RyCo1983 likes this.
  2. Doctorx33

Doctorx33 Tele-Afflicted

Jun 8, 2014
    Atlanta
    It's not a Seymour, it's a fake.

3. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Tele-Afflicted

Feb 11, 2006
    Near Athens GA USA
    You can get the same set of pickups without the fake logo for about $12 on EBay.

RyCo1983, DrPepper and Doctorx33 like this.
  4. DougM

DougM Tele-Afflicted

Jul 5, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    On TGP John Suhr talked about having to fight legal battles with them over counterfeit Suhr guitars, amps, and pedals, and how expensive it is for him to try to legally get them to stop selling them. The Chinese are VERY bad about recognizing American trademarks, copyrights, and patents. Martin had to fight to get the rights to their own name after someone in China registered the name "Martin guitar" there before they did.

JuneauMike likes this.
  5. notmyusualuserid

May 3, 2016
    In the South
    FTFY

6. JuneauMike

JuneauMike Friend of Leo's

May 5, 2015
    Alaska
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2018
  7. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Tele-Afflicted

Feb 11, 2006
    Near Athens GA USA
    From what I've heard, the working conditions at the smaller electronics manufacturers are usually pretty good, better than working at a big company like Foxconn or at a non-electronics company.

As for the products, it varies a lot. They are capable of making really good stuff but they will default to cheating and shortcuts when they think they can get away with it without losing face. They assume that by buying an obviously counterfeit product for a suspiciously cheap price you won't call them on it since you would lose face because it would let people know how you got cheated by a shrewd merchant.

8. brogh

brogh Super Moderator Staff Member

Jun 26, 2010
    italy
    it's a fake and that's it ..

8barlouie likes this.
  9. JuneauMike

JuneauMike Friend of Leo's

May 5, 2015
    Alaska
    yeah, that seems right. They've seen explosive growth in what you'd call "middle class" and that kind of growth only comes with the help of higher blue collar paychecks.

10. tele_pathic

tele_pathic Friend of Leo's

Aug 18, 2009
    St. George, UT
    Instead of fake, I would use the word "counterfeit." Fake does NOT underscore the seriousness of this type of copyright violation. Would you traffic in counterfeit $100's?

I love LOVE Fender products. As a supporter of Fender, I would NEVER buy a counterfeit guitar. It's the same thing with any other brand.

I work with a guy who also plays guitar. We're friendly, more than acquaintances, not quite friends. We don't hang out much but when we do hang out, we usually have a good time. This guy bought at least two guitars from Alibaba: A "Gibson" and a "PRS." WHICH I ABHOR!!!! I can't stand that he's done that. When I asked about it, he's like "I could never afford these real guitars, so this is a way for me to have them both." This guy is a scholar, a university professor, so he understands the value of intellectual property, etc. Except when he can save a buck on a guitar. I can't really call him out though because we do work closely together.

bgmacaw and nojazzhere like this.
  11. Shuster

Shuster Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Oct 31, 2018
    South Texas
    If it looks to good to be true, 99% of the time it is;)

12. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Friend of Leo's

Feb 3, 2017
    Foat Wuth, Texas
    Too bad few of us have the courage to "shun" people who do this. Most of us wouldn't intentionally pass fake $100 bills (like you said) but think it's harmless to do it with guitars.....we humans (or some of us) can rationalize almost anything.

JL_LI likes this.
  13. soulgeezer

soulgeezer Poster Extraordinaire

Nov 5, 2006
    Sinatra's World
    I've purchased fake NHL hockey jerseys from AliExpress. They're under $30. I have no desire to spend well over a hundred bucks for a shirt I wear two or three times a year, when I go NY Rangers' games.

The first game I went to after buying my first fake jersey, I was amazed at how many people were also wearing fakes. But, I'm guessing most of them thought they were buying the real deal from some shady eBay seller. I can't imagine that that many people are using AliExpress to buy fake hockey shirts.

14. tele_pathic

tele_pathic Friend of Leo's

Aug 18, 2009
    St. George, UT
    WAIT....they sell jerseys???? HMMMMMMmm......

bparnell57 likes this.
  15. adamsappel

adamsappel Tele-Meister

Jun 8, 2008
    Maryland
    I imagine many of us have blind spots/hypocrisy over something like this. Do you care if your wife buys a fake Coach purse (and saves $600 doing so?). Fake jerseys are a great example; is anyone lamenting the lost profit to the NFL/NHL/NBA or it somehow cheapening their brands?

As long as people don't sell the guitars at a later date as the real thing, I don't have any beef with it. Even a fake is an advertisement for the real deal. I needed a true 22-fret neck for my (genuine) Modern Player Telecaster Plus body and the only one I could find on eBay was from China, but it came with a period-incorrect Fender logo and a fake serial number. Still, it's a beautiful flame maple neck, and anyone seeing it would think, "Fender really makes a nice guitar!"

16. notmyusualuserid

May 3, 2016
    In the South
    Yeah, well that's the problem. Not every seller is honest enough to declare a fake, and not every buyer is savvy enough to recognise a fake.

nojazzhere likes this.
  17. soulgeezer

soulgeezer Poster Extraordinaire

Nov 5, 2006
    Sinatra's World
    They're not great jerseys, would never be mistaken for a real one up close, and certainly could NOT be worn to actually play, but for cheering on your favorite team? Yeah, they're just fine for that.

18. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Nov 6, 2014
    kamloops bc
    until you open up the guitar, but for about 35.00 ( not including new pickups , these are to personal taste any ways) you can load it up with real components and have a great guitar to play

I pulled this junk out of my peavey preditor the other day

-1.jpg

19. raito

raito Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Nov 22, 2010
    Madison, WI
    At a former company, we'd receive products back for repair or maintenance. Some of these products were manufactured with unique, identifying numbers embedded into their metal cast housings. And we'd keep receiving dozens with the same identifying numbers. All were tracked back to China.

nojazzhere likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.