Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

how can i make my strat sound more like my tele

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Twang King, Sep 19, 2010.

1. Twang King

Twang King Tele-Meister

Jul 7, 2009
    england
    i love my strat - almost as much as my tele - but when playing one after the other the strat sounds very thin, without the clout and punch of the tele, lots more top end too, can get shrill. any ideas on how to give my strat that tele punch?

Tazz3 likes this.

2. BradL

BradL Tele-Afflicted Ad Free + Supporter

Feb 9, 2009
    Sussex, UK
    I think the metal baseplate on the Tele is a big factor in the Tele sound. The Strat's tremolo would need to be taken right out of the equation too (blocked off or some such).

3. vlada

vlada Tele-Holic

Apr 21, 2010
    belgrade, serbia
    sell the strat and buy a tele. LOL.

jackinjax and Ripradiant like this.

4. 71maverick

71maverick Tele-Meister

Jul 22, 2010
    Urbana Illinois
    Tazz3 likes this.

5. MN Punk

MN Punk Tele-Holic

Feb 9, 2010
    Minnesota
    Nothing sounds like a Tele except a Tele.

But you can do a switch mod to give you neck+bridge as an option. That will at least get you a kinda-sorta approximation of the Tele middle position.

Also, maybe try setting your bridge pickup a bit closer to the strings, especially on the treble side.

Steve Ouimette likes this.

6. mtjo62

mtjo62 Tele-Holic

Jul 17, 2008
    StatesVegas, NC
    Not sure of your PU configuration, but if you have an HSS, you might try the GFS Surf 90. I have one in my Strat and I find it "Tele" like in its sound. It is definitely more lanky than a single coil and doesn't have the P90 mid bark so to speak. The quack in the bridge/mid position is very tasty. GFS has some sound clips using their delay pedal on the following page:

http://www.guitarfetish.com/Pro-Delay-Classic-Vintage-Delay-Tones-Echoplex-Style_p_1081.html

7. photoweborama

photoweborama Friend of Leo's

Dec 16, 2003
    Sacramento, CA
    First off. put a lipstick pickup in the neck position... You need something to mute...no.. muddy... no.. uh... change the sound of the neck pickup.

Then add a push pull pot so you can get a N+B combo.

Then, put a humbucker in the bridge position, and then coil split to the BACK coil.
    I've had Tele's for years, but had to sell them due to financial problems. I ended up getting a Fender Prodigy (a Strat on Steroids). When I split the pickup to the back coil, it's the only Strat I've been able to get tele tone out of.

By default, humbuckers split to the front coil, but that's not sharp enough. When I learned to split to the real coil, there it was! I think the metal base plate on the humbucker and spread under the inactive coil adds to the Tele sound.

I'm not saying everyone will think this is great, but to me, it sounds as sharp as a Tele bridge pickup.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2010

8. telewhat

telewhat Banned

Oct 2, 2009
    Nevada
    Trying to make your Strat sound like a Tele is an odd approach. A Strat is what it is and a Tele is what it is. When you want the Tele punch while your playing the Strat you know what to do!

Tazz3 and jackinjax like this.

9. chipbutty24

chipbutty24 Friend of Leo's

Oct 16, 2008
    Ontario, Canada
    Just change the body, the neck, the pickups, bridge and pickguard. After that it will sound pretty close to a tele.

10. MN Punk

MN Punk Tele-Holic

Feb 9, 2010
    Minnesota
    And if you change 'em one at a time you can still call it the same guitar. Like Lincoln's axe. :lol:

11. Pepi

Pepi Tele-Afflicted

Aug 8, 2004
    Indiana
    Not a LOL. It's the truth :D

Ripradiant likes this.

12. Durtdog

Durtdog Poster Extraordinaire

May 19, 2004
    Tennessee
    While we're at it, can anyone tell me how to make my cat act more like my dog?

nosuch and jackinjax like this.

13. Nash

Nash Tele-Holic

Mar 8, 2009
    Fullerton, CA
    Rather than trying to make your Strat sound like a Tele, perhaps you should try to make your Strat sound like a better Strat.

Sounds to me like you don't like the pickups in your Strat. A simple pickup upgrade might allow you to appreciate both guitars as individual tools for your playing.

nosuch likes this.

14. Telenator

Telenator Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Vermont
    Seriously, I would grab the Tele and go to the store and try a ton of Strats. You will at least then know if what you're looking for in a Strat is indeed available. If you find an awesome sounding Strat while you're there, buy it. Then sell the one you have that doesn't sound as good.

The road to modding is paved with good intentions and several detours and cul-se-sacs.

If you can just go out and buy something that plays and sounds awesome, why even mess around with the other stuff?

15. bobthecanadian

bobthecanadian Tele-Afflicted

Put a Tele bridge pickup in the Strat.

Zepfan likes this.

16. Geo

Geo Friend of Leo's

Mar 17, 2003
    Hendersonville, TN
    Add the bridge pickup to a separate tone control and turn it 1/4 back from
    the neck & middle with their tone knob on full.
    You might check out Jimmy Thackery on Da Tube as he gets a good Tele
    like sound like this from his Strat.
    I use a Robert Cray strat some and doing this works real well for the above
    mentioned.

17. Rich_S

Rich_S Friend of Leo's

Dec 29, 2006
    Potsdam, NY
    Like Lowell George.

Actually, you have it easier than Mr. George did - Seymour Duncan makes the Twang Banger so you don't have to route your Strat body, cut the pickguard, mess with mounting screws, etc. The Twang Banger purports to sound like a Tele bridge pickup, but fits in a normal Strat. Yes, it has a metal baseplate, just like a real Tele pickup should.

I can't say I've ever tried one though, I never play Strats. Look up member B Bent here or at the Duncan forum - he has one in his Jazzmaster/Tele/Strat hybrid thingie.

Linky

18. Wardpike

Wardpike Friend of Leo's

Feb 16, 2008
    St. John's, Newfoundland
    You know, that was going to be my suggestion also! I don't recall seeing pictures of a full 3 brass saddle bridge assembly put on a strat, but blocking up the tremolo cavity, cutting the pickguard to accommodate a tele bridge and then installing a tele bridge assembly and pickup MIGHT do it!

I'd love to see pictures of a conversion like that, if someone here has done one!

Cheers, and good luck,
    Ward

19. Drunkinminer

Drunkinminer Tele-Holic

Feb 3, 2008
    Canada
    That's what I'd do.

20. Steely_Ken

Steely_Ken Tele-Meister

May 28, 2010
    Austin Texas

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.