Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

How can I determine and document which parts on my Tele Deluxe are original?

Discussion in 'Vintage Tele Discussion Forum (pre-1974)' started by Golem, Apr 11, 2018.

1. toomuchfun

toomuchfun Tele-Holic

Feb 9, 2014
    NE US
    So you went from a possible refinish and other changes to just a few, that's great.

Just for reference I have another pic showing the pots from the pickguard. Note the volumes are plastic shafts and the tones are metal. Again this is factory, I have a '75 that is identical.

And note the white dots in the pickguard about 1 - 2 o'clock around the pots. Do you have them on your pickguard? I still think pearloid guards came with chrome knobs like you have.

73-DLX-4.jpg

2. Golem

Golem Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Even I'll admit that I can't be absolutely certain it was a factory paint job, just that a tech I know and respect with decades of experience thinks that it looks like it was done at the factory (possibly as a custom job). I don't have those dots.

3. toomuchfun

toomuchfun Tele-Holic

Feb 9, 2014
    NE US
    Fiesta red would be a custom color for the '70's, I can see that and the guard a perfect match. At least you have a real close to original classic with the original pick ups. It took me a while to appreciate the sound compared to a Gibby, but that clear tone with still a little twang is great for lead or rhythm. The 9.5 inch fretboard radius makes bending easy.

How do you like the sound and how your guitar plays?

One more pic, here is my '73 with my '75 underneath.

tele_deluxes.jpg

Last edited: Apr 17, 2018

4. radiocaster

radiocaster Friend of Leo's

Aug 18, 2015
    europe
    What was his explanation as to why Fender didn't use the regular paint stick on this?

Golem likes this.

5. warrent

warrent Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Sep 15, 2009
    toronto
    If you look at a price list from the 60's say the 68 list available on the fender website you will see under the listing for the guitar: available in custom dupont finish- 5% additional. at the end of the price list refinishes are available for $50 with an upcharge of 5% for custom color.
    If you look at a 70's price list say the 73 list available on the fender website you will note the absence of dupont colors on offer, the absence of the refinishing service and instead a list of available custom colors. The colors available for this model were blonde, black, natural and sunburst note there is no red at all available.

Fiesta and Dakota red were dropped in 69 and CAR was dropped in 73. Custom colors were phased out from 69 to 74 and gone by 75.

Fiesta red would be an odd color for the seventies. So if it's original the guitar is rare. But it's probably an old refinish.

Golem likes this.

6. PJ55

PJ55 Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 27, 2003
    Philadelphia, PA
    There is a set of tuners on eBay that might be interesting for replacements:

s-l64.jpg

Golem likes this.

7. tim mayer

tim mayer TDPRI Member

Oct 3, 2016
    PVB Florida
    I had to come back and look at this thread again. I love this guitar. You did well on this ...congrats

Golem likes this.

8. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Mar 3, 2003
    Athens-GREECE
    No way,FR wasn't an option even in custom orders by 1973

I have never seen a pearl pickguard on a 70s deluxe,they were always BLACK (they were available for the Thiline IIs during 73 so the material was available but what are the chances of custom ordering a pearl pickguard in the 70s form a cookie cutter company like CBS?)

The bridge plate MIGHT be original the bridge saddles are 100% NOT original (the good thing is that they are SS so they sound WAY better than the original zinc ones).

Last edited: Apr 19, 2018

9. Golem

Interesting because my tech said that pearloid was something he'd seen on 70's deluxe models when I said most of the ones I've seen on the used market where black (based on watching sites like Ebay and Reverb). I feel like someone else chimed in here to this effect. The tech did agree with you on the saddles, but was sure the plate was original.

Going into this, I had hoped based on the price I paid that the neck, body, and WRHBs were legit and I'm absolutely satisfied on all those points.

10. warrent

warrent Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Sep 15, 2009
    toronto
    Someone probably put on a repro guard when the body was refinished. It's not factory there is no foil anywhere on the guard. Still a very nice guitar.

11. pcasarona

pcasarona Tele-Meister

Mar 27, 2013
    Auburn, AL

My guitar is a few years newer than yours (1977), but it is in mint condition. I would be glad to share any details/photos with you that would be useful.

12. Golem

I would love that.

13. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 16, 2003
    Godzone
    I think it's a nice guitar that's been refinished with a changed guard. Tuners and pots are likely original. They just pulled pots our of a big bin. They weren't selling many Teles io any type then. My 78 had plastic shaft pots with splines. That should have had tophat skirted amp knobs.

A friend has a very original 76, lots of shielding, star ground, braided wire from pickups with plain plastic wire in white plastic sheaths.

Hers is sunburst and it's alder as would all solid colours have been. Custom colours were more like 'standard upcharge option more akin to getting metallic paint in your car' by then. No longer would the factory pull a body out and paint it any pretty colour because they had limited poly spray booths and they were now making lots of different models by then. CBS was very different to Leo era.

That would be natural or blonde, with no paint stick in the neck pocket it's a refin.

14. hrstrat57

hrstrat57 Tele-Afflicted

Nov 21, 2016
    Rhode Island
    I think this Deluxe is fabulous. I would replace all the pots(saving the orig in the case of course) dress the frets and wear it out. The tones that come out of these is absolutely spectacular to my ears!

Fantastic buy! Play it and play it some more!! Thanks for sharing the detailed pics!!

Golem likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.