Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

How can I determine and document which parts on my Tele Deluxe are original?

Discussion in 'Vintage Tele Discussion Forum (pre-1974)' started by Golem, Apr 11, 2018.

1. Golem

Golem Tele-Holic

I bought what I was told was a '74 Tele Deluxe recently (the serial suggests it's a '73). Some parts are clearly not original and it's been refinished. I want to learn about and document what's been modified over the years better.

I think checking the dates and/or stamps on the neck and body is an obvious start. I also want to check that the WRHB as they're the main draw of this guitar. What else do people like to see? Pots? Pictures of the tuners and bridge?

Here are some pics:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I don't think that's the pickguard that came with this guitar. A lot of deluxes I see have a screw right in the middle (why is that?) and I've never seen one this color. One tuner is clearly a replacement.

2blue2 likes this.
  2. Mr Ridesglide

Mr Ridesglide Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Dec 11, 2009
    Bloomington, MN
    Most of the deluxes that I've seen have the black top hat knobs on the pots. And you will probably have to take the rest of it apart to get all the specifics for the date codes etc...

Golem likes this.
  3. jondanger

jondanger Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 27, 2011
    Charm City, MD
    All the tuners are replacements. They should be the trapezoid F tuners I think. Never seen one with a pearl pickguard. The dome knobs aren’t right. Probably supposed to be witch hats. I think the bridge is too new too. Looks like 90s block saddles.

Lemme see if I can find a photo of the bottom of my WRHB to compare. It’s a 74, but should be the same.

Awesome looking guitar.

Edit: wow looking at toomuchfun’s post below I was wrong about a lot. I didn’t think those sealed tuners came on the scene until the 80s at least.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2018
    Golem likes this.
  4. toomuchfun

toomuchfun Tele-Holic

Feb 9, 2014
    NE US
    Here's my 1973 Deluxe. All is original except the strings.

73_deluxe-1.jpg

73_deluxe-2.jpg

73_deluxe-3.jpg

The screw is in the middle of the pickguard because the pick ups are mounted to the pickguard, not the body. The screw is there to prevent that area from buckling up.

Edit, I found some other pics.

73_TELE_DLX-1.jpg

73-DLX-2.jpg

73-DLX-3.jpg

Last edited: Apr 11, 2018
    codamedia and Golem like this.
  5. Golem

Golem Tele-Holic

@toomuchfun I learned a lot from your post and the pictures you shared. Thank you for taking the time to do that for me (and anyone else who may learn from reading this post).

hrstrat57 likes this.
  6. Golem

Golem Tele-Holic

We both learned. Based on his post I'm thinking 5/6 tuners are original and the bridge is original. I can't wait to take this thing apart with my friend and tech (same guy) and document this thing!.

7. toomuchfun

toomuchfun Tele-Holic

Feb 9, 2014
    NE US
    You're welcome, please take photos of yours when you take it apart.

Also please note if there is a hole in the body for the between the pick ups area for the pickguard and if it was ever used or just drilled.

I ask because of the blue undercoat showing on yours. I know of 2 early '80's Strats that are candy apple red with a blue sealer coat under it. Yours looks more like a refinish but could be a factory finish with a factory pearliod guard and standard Tele knobs. Pearliod is usually stiffer and maybe the hole in between the pick ups wasn't needed. This is just a guess looking at photos, not sure if Fender ever released a model like that.

8. Golem

Golem Tele-Holic

I plan to refer to this post when I take this thing apart. I'll take all the pictures and update when it happens (hopefully this weekend but possibly the one after).

9. Major Gruber

Major Gruber Tele-Afflicted

Feb 24, 2012
    Colombes France
    Gorgeous guitar. Is it a blue or a grey undercoat under the red?

Golem likes this.
  10. Antoon

Antoon Tele-Holic

Feb 10, 2010
    Low Lands
    Indeed, looks the part!

Golem likes this.
  11. Golem

Golem Tele-Holic

Good news:
    1. Pickguard is likely original.
    2. Fiesta Red Paint Job looks to be from the factory.
    3. It's a '73.
    4. The neck and WRHB are both authentic and have matching dates.
    5. The serial on the neck plate matches the neck (and the pickups).
    6. The bridge is original.
    7. The switch is original.
    8. Frets are original.
    9. 5 of the tuners are original.
    10. Parts of the wiring are original.
    11. Even though this has seen some use, it has no problems.
    Bad:
    1. Pots appear to be from 78 and 79. They're not all from the same company.
    2. Pots show a lot of wear and likely need to be replaced.
    3. The jack itself itself is original but the plate is MIJ.
    4. Tone Knobs aren't original (no surprises there).
    5. Wiring is a little sloppy but not so bad it's worth fixing. They clearly had documented the original wiring and did a good job of replicating it.
    Pics:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

hrstrat57 and 2blue2 like this.
  12. Golem

Golem Tele-Holic

I should be clear it's the volume pots that will likely need replacement in the future. Not all the pots.

There's probably a few other points I'll need to clear up. Just trying to brain dump.

13. PJ55

PJ55 Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 27, 2003
    Philadelphia, PA
    You can find those tuners around, if you wanted to replace one. Keep an eye on eBay. The micro-tilt disk that's missing is also an easy-to-replace part, (angela.com or darren riley's) but tougher to find if you're looking for an old vintage part. I had a set of 6 of those tuners for years, but sold them a few years back. They're a '70s-era part, if I recall. I've found old Tele parts on eBay more than anywhere else, since it's common for folks to part the old 70s Teles out.

14. 63telemaster

63telemaster Tele-Meister

Jul 29, 2013
    UK
    :confused:

radiocaster likes this.
  15. Antoon

Antoon Tele-Holic

Feb 10, 2010
    Low Lands
    Why do you think the pots are of later date? You should read the number that starts with "137..." since these seem to be CTS pots.
    If the finish is original, the body wood would be alder (not ash). You may want to check that. But the finish looks non-factory to me. And was that guitar available in fiesta red in '73/74?

16. Golem

Golem Tele-Holic

The following is from my recollection talking with him:

Pots aren't all the same brand. My tech has a book that he uses to date the pots. There are some details of the way it was soldered that make him think it wasn't up to the standards of what he was using to seeing from Fenders of that era.

The finish is something that was available as a custom order and was a popular option at the time due to Hank Marvin and the shadows but not a standard color. We can still see the layer of Fullerplast underneath in places where it's been scratched, but we can't see any signs of another color. Sanding it perfectly to leave the Fullerplast, or doing that good of a job replicating the Fullerplast would be incredibly difficult. Details of how it was painted match what we know of how Fender did things in the factory. I think his point wasn't that it was impossible that it was a refin, but that it is not likely someone would've put the effort into getting every detail of how it was originally done right in order to make it look original.

17. Golem

Golem Tele-Holic

The disk wasn't missing, it was taken off to inspect the paint job to see if it was a refin. I'll definitely be looking for a tuner set.

18. warrent

warrent Tele-Afflicted

Sep 15, 2009
    toronto
    I don't know if the paint's factory but Fender took Fiesta Red off the custom color list in 69. They didn't end custom colors til 75 so it's possible (not necessarily probable).

On the 73 price list the available custom colors were
    blonde, black, natural and sunburst stock was walnut

Last edited: Apr 15, 2018
  19. PJ55

PJ55 Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 27, 2003
    Philadelphia, PA
    I've seen that neck stamp "J Torres" before, might have been on my '70.

Golem likes this.
  20. ScribbleSomething

ScribbleSomething Tele-Meister Platinum Supporter

Mar 12, 2016
    San Antonio
    Congratulations. I bet you’re glad you ignored me.

Golem likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.