Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

How big a bulb for current limiter

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by nutt, Oct 27, 2017.

1. nutt

nutt TDPRI Member

Oct 12, 2017
    Iceland
    Hey guys,
    I am pondering a homemade light bulb current limiter a´la Rob for the start up procedure of my new 5e3 but the only light bulbs available here are 60watt. Is that enough? How big are your bulbs? (pun intended:D)

Prophetsnake likes this.

2. DSharp

DSharp Tele-Holic

Apr 26, 2003
    Southern Indiana
    Just checked mine and it's a dusty, 95-watt "energy mizer," whatever that is or was. I think a 60 would be fine.

nutt likes this.

3. tubeswell

tubeswell Friend of Leo's

Jul 1, 2008
    NZ
    60W is good

nutt likes this.

4. King Fan

King Fan Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Jan 1, 2013
    Salt Lake City
    I don't know about Iceland, but a problem in the US can be finding real incandescent bulbs. The fluorescent and newer LEDs that say '60w equivalent' are really something much lower, like, I don't know, 7-14w.

5. Preacher

Preacher Tele-Afflicted

Apr 17, 2007
    Big D
    I use a 65 watt flood. Had a 100 watter but it got broke in a move.

6. clintj

clintj Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2015
    Idaho
    They're a little more pricey than a standard incandescent, but a 3 way bulb does fit and work in a standard outlet. They're still almost universally incandescent, too.

7. King Fan

Jan 1, 2013
    Salt Lake City
    Good point. I was also surprised to see plain incandescents at the grocery store, since the hardware and DIY stores have virtually stopped stocking them.

8. FenderLover

FenderLover Friend of Leo's

Jun 11, 2009
    Minnesota
    Soon, we'll all be looking for NOS light bulbs. Keep them in the pantry with the rest of our NOS glass collection.

nutt, CoyotesGator and moosie like this.

9. theprofessor

theprofessor Friend of Leo's

Aug 8, 2016
    Chattanooga, TN
    I'm waiting on a 5f2a kit to arrive, so I'm trying to get ahead on some other things, like building a current limiter. I just followed Uncle Doug. And I found a 300 (!) watt incandescent bulb at my hardware store across the street.
    IMG_4293.JPG

xafinity likes this.

10. King Fan

Jan 1, 2013
    Salt Lake City
    300 w? You could solder with a bulb that big!

Seriously though is it maybe too big? Experts?

11. theprofessor

theprofessor Friend of Leo's

Aug 8, 2016
    Chattanooga, TN
    I'm no expert, but: Uncle Doug uses a 250w in his video.

12. tubeswell

Jul 1, 2008
    NZ
    Depends on the power consumption of the amplifier you are running.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2017

13. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    300W bulb is what I found.

20171028_205013.jpg

14. sds1

sds1 Tele-Meister

May 4, 2017
    Orlando, FL, USA
    Lol I got shocked by mine, I have that same bulb socket as @moosie and there's some metal sticking out there. All the warnings about working with lethal voltage in tube amps and so far it was the damn limiter that got me.

15. tubeswell

Jul 1, 2008
    NZ
    You can do a multi-bulb lamp tester too, with parallel multiple bulbs sockets in series with the amp (although any empty sockets are hazardous)

16. tubeswell

Jul 1, 2008
    NZ
    A safe limiter will have a 3-prong mains plug with the limiter chassis securely attached to the ground return.

17. moosie

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    You mean the metal at the base of the socket? 'Cause you're not s'posed to wire the box to hot :lol:

18. moosie

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    Can't see in the pic, but mine is a 3-prong, properly wired inside. I just checked, even though it looks like you could touch that metal ring at the base of the bulb, I can't actually do it. It's recessed. That said, I don't go hugging the thing, all wet from the shower...

19. sds1

sds1 Tele-Meister

May 4, 2017
    Orlando, FL, USA
    The bulb base on mine clears the top of the socket by 1/16" or so. I think I picked it up one day with one hand and touched that exposed base and the chassis at the same time. I only handle it dry and fully clothed. I'm pretty sure I grounded the chassis to earth.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2017

20. wmprivett

wmprivett Tele-Meister

Sep 22, 2009
    Brick, NJ
    I followed Uncle Doug's instructions as well. He suggests using the highest wattage bulb you can find. The bulb acts as a big resistor, if I remember correctly. I found a 200 watt bulb at one of the big box home repair stores not too long ago.

2 Headed Goat likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.