Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

How awesome are the Squier Classic Vibe Teles?!?!

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by originalritz, Feb 28, 2013.

1. cmoore

cmoore TDPRI Member

Jan 6, 2014
    Idaho
    Love mine, so much so my other two guitars irritate me to play now. I've had the loose jack deal but other than that and swapping in some 10-52s it's been about perfect for me. Only problem is this little tele feeds my GAS.

I did dress it up a little to make it a little more mine though. Made a Muddy Waters LP pickguard and pinstripes.
    [​IMG]

2. Glen Smith

Glen Smith RIP

Aug 20, 2011
    Canada
    That is a beauty !

3. matt mcgriff

matt mcgriff TDPRI Member

Hate to have to follow that beaut, but here goes...

I love my BSB, but it needs some TLC before it becomes a leader in my rotation. I've had it for about 6 months and did have the pickups swapped for SD Alnico II bridge and Hot for Tele neck. There seems to be a ground issue with neck pickup, as I get a pop when it's played. It also needs a good setup and, to be honest, I just haven't gotten around to taking it to "my guy" to get a proper setup with some 10's. I have a great G&L ASAT Special and an Epi Les Paul Trib Plus that take up the majority of my electric playing time. I play acoustic primarily and am learning bass right now so that takes up the majority of my time. I cannot wait to get the tele dialed in because it really is an awesome guitar. The fit and finish are spectacular. I see so many comparisons online of CV teles vs MIM teles and other ~$500 options, but there are so many unique features of the CVs that, if you want a pine body, transparent finish, gloss neck, brass saddles, etc, there is nothing that is even close. I love it. I owned an MIM tele about 10 years and if it was sitting side by side with my CV, i can't imagine an MIM being this good.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. stevexc

stevexc TDPRI Member

Jan 4, 2014
    Edmonton, AB
    So I went Tele-testing today, to find my first... played a Squier Affinity, a MIM Standard, some kind of Thinline, an American Standard, and of course a CV50.

Guess which one blew the others out of the water, no questions asked... Definitely the CV50!

Got my Nashville ordered in so I can compare the two, but the Nashville's gonna have to be pretty darn nice to beat out the CV50....

5. Airguitar

Airguitar Tele-Meister

Dec 21, 2010
    Benoni, South Africa
    [​IMG]

It was a love that was meant to be....

6. nprenger

nprenger NEW MEMBER!

Dec 27, 2013
    Illinois, USA
    The pop in your neck pickup might not be a pickup problem, but rather a static electric charge building up on your pickguard when your fingers rub against it. I have what sounds like the same problem. Try rubbing your fingers on it to see if you can make it happen. I'm going to shield my pickup cavities with copper slug barrier, ground the shielding, and make sure the shielding contacts the aluminum foil I've already glued to the back of the pickguard. Shielding the pickguard alone did not work.

7. goldwax

goldwax Tele-Meister

Feb 19, 2014
    Los Angeles, CA
    Hey, everyone--first post.

I've been lurking on these forums for a few weeks, but didn't feel I could join because I didn't actually own a Tele. Well, now I do!

Here's my very longwinded story: I started with one of the first MIM Strats in 1991. In fact, the dealer told me that it had really been made in the US, but painted in Mexico, because their plant wasn't fully online yet. In any case, I soon got an early '60s Kay Jazz II to keep it company, because it looked great and I had just enough tip money (working my way through college as a waiter) to bring it home.

In 1992 I moved to Japan to teach English and all of a sudden was making really decent money with very little overhead. First priority: new gear! Got a Tascam 424 Portastudio, a couple Shure mics, a sweet Fender Tweed Champ, a Fender Jazz Bass, and a great K.Yairi YW-1000 acoustic within six months of arriving. Also had the itch for a new electric, and ended up selling my Strat to finance a Fender Jaguar. I really debated long and hard over the Jaguar and the '52 Tele, since I didn't feel I ought to buy both. (I now regret that!)

Anyway, I moved back to the States in the mid-'90s, played in a couple of bands and never bought any new gear, though a friend gave me a 25-watt early '70s Alamo Fury amp (which I love), since my Champ couldn't hack it either for rehearsals or club gigs.

Had a couple kids and mostly put the guitars away for about a decade, but newly remarried, to a fellow music fanatic, the guitars had to come out again, and so was rekindled my long-dormant lust for a Tele. Didn't do much about it for a year or so, but somehow stumbled on the Classic Vibe series, tried out one or two at GC, but could never find the BSB one I coveted until I trolled Craigslist last week and found one listed for $300. The guy had bought it online in December, and didn't like the thin neck, so it was basically newer than if it had sat in a GC for a few months. Not a scratch on it, etc. etc. Fell in love with it, and walked away with it for only $260. Brought it home and played it all day. When I wasn't playing it, it was on my lap and I was stroking it (the guitar, I mean). My wife just laughed.

Anyway, I just wanted to post here to thank you all for all the great advice I benefited from by reading this forum the past month or so.

As for my particular Tele, the only complaints I have are:

-The volume and tone knobs aren't smooth when you turn them. There seems to be some sort of scraping going on internally.
    -Got used to the sticky neck finish real fast, but there is a VERY slight bump where the rounded end of the skunk stripe is, like it wasn't fully sanded down before finishing. Again, it's very slight, and I can't always feel it. It's sort of Flying Dutchman like. Certainly has no impact on playing.
    -Mine was made with three pieces of wood instead of two. That said, they are very well matched, on the front, anyway.

That's about it. I can't believe that I've finally got a '52-style Tele after 22 years of wanting one! I'll post a pic of it with its brother from another mother Jag sometime soon.

8. matt mcgriff

matt mcgriff TDPRI Member

Took it in for a set up and the issue is resolved. Not sure what it was but not a problem anymore. After the setup, I am loving this guitar. So much so that I ordered a CV60's strat, should be here tomorrow.

9. pachap

pachap Tele-Meister

Nov 6, 2013
    Crap-vannah, GA
    That is straight awesome! :D

10. guitarsrmine

guitarsrmine TDPRI Member

Oct 12, 2013
    Rocky Grove, Pa.
    Re;

I got my new CV Tele THinline in October......and this is one sweet axe! And who wants to shell out $1000 or more for a guitar?? Not me!!!! This wqs set up perfect right off the shelf, and I LOVe it!!!!! Yeah, the Squier's are hard to beat!!!! Here's my baby along with my Hot Rod Deluxe stack......

Attached Files:

11. Totally Bored

Totally Bored TDPRI Member

Jul 14, 2013
    New York
    Totally Awesome

Mods
    Sanded down headstock. (Didn't like the black )
    Treble Bleed
    Strap locks
    Seymour Duncan Hot Rails and Vintage Stack pickups
    Push pull pot for series-parallel on the Hot Rails.
    Black pickguard.

Worth every penny. Love the neck. Nice light guitar. Looks totally badass and that Hot Rails pickup with push pull pot for series-parallel is so versatile.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. rokett

rokett Tele-Meister

Jun 26, 2010
    Berlin/Germany
    Could you please tell more about your mods?

13. chabby

chabby Friend of Leo's

Jan 11, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Have the same type and have played it more and harder than any Tele I've ever owned, in 1/8th of the time. Meaning I played it so much, I'm already having to adjust and tweak for fret loss - Will need to face the music and get a fret job soon though.

Can't say enough about the Tele and it along with my Strat is all I'll ever need. But I hardly touch the strat, especially since I took the neck pu off it and put in place of stock VM. Also Nocaster Bridge, had it Esquired for a couple years, then went a different way to get all it's got. Might add a Burstbucker pro one day and Nashville it.

14. cbtirish1976

cbtirish1976 TDPRI Member

Mar 3, 2014
    Edgewood , md
    Cause of your pic I decided to go with the black Classic Vibe as opposed to the sunburst. It looked awesome but played hell finding one . Only a few days from it getting here and tearing into it ... can't wait to join the ranks

15. Travois

Travois TDPRI Member

Jul 5, 2013
    Alberta
    The static noise is a pain. My BS CV had this too, it came with a small patch of foil on the pickguard, I covered the whole back with foil, and also connected this to a wire going to the ground tab on the tone control, this has worked ! Now to tackle my strat with the same problem. . . .

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.