Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

How awesome are the Squier Classic Vibe Teles?!?!

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by originalritz, Feb 28, 2013.

1. purplegenie

purplegenie Tele-Meister

Nov 21, 2011
    North Carolina
    That really is one fine=looking guitar. Is that a mint pickguard?

2. psp777

psp777 TDPRI Member

Feb 19, 2010
    Canada
    Likely Mint. Light in the photos make it look white. Just am confused about the finish. The only thing keeping me from buying a CV is the plastic high gloss look--but when I saw that pic as was like- ya I would by that!:p

3. purplegenie

purplegenie Tele-Meister

Nov 21, 2011
    North Carolina
    You can find lots of sources for scotch-briting it. I've seen stunning results but...it reeks a bit of relicking for my tastes. The best way to age one is to play it a long time. Although, with the poly finish, it will probably be shiny after a nuclear holocaust.

4. psp777

psp777 TDPRI Member

Feb 19, 2010
    Canada
    Yes with the turtle wax safe cut polish gives some amazing results. Maybe a project in the works for me sooner rather than later.

Nuclear holocasut hey ? :lol:
    Ya we should douse our homes in Poly - we would all be safe :)

5. POGART2000

POGART2000 TDPRI Member

Dec 16, 2013
    Toronto
    Classic Vibe

New here and wanted to share a few images of my custom finish CV tele. Such a great guitar.
    Pete telecaster1.jpg

telecaster3.jpg

telecaster2.jpg

6. surfoverb

surfoverb Doctor of Teleocity

Jul 17, 2007
    Virginia
    haha no tomfoolery, just regular squier cvc made in china.
    i changed the bridgeplate, saddles, switch tip and control plate though
    i didnt touch the finish, but to be honest the finish isnt that thick.
    oh the guard is stock mint

the photo i used no flash thats why the soft lighting of sorts

here are some flash pics that show how thin the finish is, you can see bare wood near the route...also note, when I got the guitar under the guard were all these scratches they just left because you cant see them with the guard on, and there was a lot of this black sooty stuff in there too.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. surfoverb

surfoverb Doctor of Teleocity

Jul 17, 2007
    Virginia

8. psp777

psp777 TDPRI Member

Feb 19, 2010
    Canada
    May have to buy one of these. I was playing them in the shop for a bit too long the other day haha ;)

9. POGART2000

POGART2000 TDPRI Member

Dec 16, 2013
    Toronto
    Thanks for the comment Surfoverb. It is fluid acrylics, not a swirl finish. I paint them by hand, not dipped. I refinish bass/guitars with this technique. Message me if you have any questions
    : )
    Pete

10. sigalaboon

sigalaboon TDPRI Member

Jul 27, 2008
    Oak Park, IL
    I've had my CV50 since early 2009 and still play it regularly. Never had a single problem with it. I liked it so much I bought a CVC in 2010 and really liked it also. I've been wanting a 12 string Telecaster for some time and the neck on my CVC feels a bit too thin for me it will soon be changed over with a Warmoth 12 string neck that I now have at home. This may take me a little time to finish due to other obligations but I will definitely post pics upon completion.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2013

11. wyclif

wyclif Tele-Afflicted

Nov 29, 2011
    Philadelphia
    I like the CV50 so much that I've been recommending it often to everyone who either wants a Tele or needs a good beginner electric. Squier seems to have a genuine hit here on a really great combination at the right price point. Definitely the best guitar for the money I've ever seen, and I've seen a lot.

There are so many great things about them from my perspective, and the downsides aren't such a big deal IMO:

1. A real everyman's guitar. Great for beginners; won't break the bank. And if you're an experienced player, they make great knockaround guitars that you can play out with and if bad things happen (damaged/stolen) it's not a total disaster—and with some minor, well-chosen upgrades you've got yourself a guitar that equals pricier models.

2. Good quality and fit/finish where it counts the most and where you want the money to go: the neck and frets. If you have a guitar that is finished right and can be set up well, all the little hardware issues like low-quality pups, electrosocket, nut issues, pots, &c can be easily and cheaply fixed. But if you've got a bad neck, bad fretwork, and bad routing, that's a show stopper.

3. Stylistically, they hearken back to the Nocaster (BB) and classic blackguard Tele. That's a style that is so simple and classic that it will never die. No BS whatsoever. :p

Last edited: Dec 30, 2013

12. ASC67

ASC67 Friend of Leo's

Jul 3, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN.
    CV VB body with CV custom neck , Rutters angled switch plate and GFS pro Alnico II unpotted HB'er.

[​IMG]

Recently flipped the neck pickup around and added a 500k volume pot and strat switch tip. The GFS pro Alnico II HB'er is a great match to the stock bridge pickup.

Attached Files:

13. ItchyFingers

ItchyFingers Tele-Afflicted

I picked up a CV thinline today used (mahogony body, maple neck). The nut was cut a little deep (over compensated rfo at the bridge end but someone had cut it like that) so I slipped in a bone nut, adjusted the string heights at both ends (The higher nut allowed lower string height at the bridge too). I replaced the 9s that were on it or 8s who knows) with my favourite 10s. It even intonated perfectly with the 3 saddle bridge that I would have swapped out.
    I just barely touched up each fret end a bit rounder.
    As is it is now perfect and sounds wonderful So yeah they are pretty awesome. I always wanted to try one but everyone I heard anyone else play was shrill and screechy.
    This one is nice and mellow but not muddy. Oh and sooo nice and light compared to my 14 pounder lol.
    Quality all around was good.
    Nothing more required. It's a keeper.
    Oh yeah..pics or it didn't happen lol. hang on....working on it...here ya go:
    [​IMG]

14. sonicsamurai

sonicsamurai Tele-Meister

Jul 28, 2011
    rugby,england
    Just picked up this 50s Tele. Also have a partscaster but the frets were not good quality and buzzed a lot, while the electronics were also noisy. I gig a lot so needed something solid and reliable that I could easily afford given I have a kid due in Feb.

The other guitarist in my band has the 60s custom, so it made sense to give this a try. Nice neck, good fretwork and less noise. The squier also seems to have slightly more output than my other Tele which has tonerider pickups in it - definately louder through the amp. Never been a masive butterscotch fan, but this does what I need . I also like the fact that the brass saddles have string grooves, which are an improvement over the American vintage Tele bridge in my opinion.

ForumRunner_20131230_160735.jpg

15. ItchyFingers

Today was the first real play day since purchase and setup. Help I can't leave it on the hook for more than 15 minutes. I Love this thing. I slathered some cream on my hands (super cold and dry weather here). That might keep me off it for a while. I should have listened to you guys a long time ago. My cats hate the fact that it is interrupting their cuddle time. lol.

16. slick willy

slick willy TDPRI Member

Dec 31, 2013
    Kentucky
    I love my BSB CV. It has become my main guitar, I do use an Orville custom as well. Mine has a sweet 2 piece almost center seem body, neck is amazing. I did use the green scotch brite on the back of the neck. Sound wise its good as is, but I feel it could be made better. I just don't know what pickups to get. I want something good for blues but I want to keep the stock look.

Attached Files:

17. sonicsamurai

sonicsamurai Tele-Meister

Jul 28, 2011
    rugby,england
    My other Tele has tonerider hot classics. They're not as hot as the name suggest but have a bit more girth which makes them quite versatile esp if you do a little bit more chunky rock or blues

18. ItchyFingers

So true. A bone nut as well. I still need the jack socket.
    They should never chrome jack sockets. The star washers don't dig into chrome well.

19. el cheapo

el cheapo Tele-Afflicted

Jan 13, 2011
    Southcentral Pa
    I've posted this one before, but what the heck. Even though there was nothing wrong with the stock pups, I decided this guitar
    deserved an upgrade. After doing my homework and reading lots of posts here, I went with Keystones. I'm glad I did! Everything
    you guys said about them is true. They are excellent, especially with the 4 way switch I installed. Maybe there are better pickups
    out there, but I haven't heard them, and at $80.00 a set they're reasonably priced.

[​IMG][​IMG]

I replaced the Fender Pat. Pend. bridge and steel saddles with an original CV 50's bridge. I like the extra warmth I'm getting from
    the brass saddles, and I like the look too.

[​IMG]

This particular Squier Standard neck is the most comfortable neck I have ever played. I broke
    my fretting hand a few years ago, and I can't get on with skinny necks. I can play this thing
    for hours without cramping up. So, it's a mutt, but it works for me!

20. pachap

pachap Tele-Meister

Nov 6, 2013
    Crap-vannah, GA
    I had been kicking around which pups to put into my CVC, but have come to the conclusion that it is fine like it is. Recently bought a Blues Jr. and I am very happy with how they pair up. It just plays and sounds so good, can't believe I scored it for $200.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.