Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

How are you strapping on your Gibson (or Epiphone) SG?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by e44crowe, Sep 26, 2017.

1. e44crowe

e44crowe Tele-Meister

Jul 28, 2010
    Alabama
    I have recently picked up a fantastic SG 50s Tribute. It’s great!

I usually put Dunlop dual design strap locks on all my guitars. LP, Tele, Strat...

So. Put a pair on the SG and I don’t really like the way the strap sticks out behind the neck. Now the replacement pegs are still better than the tiny stockers and I can use a regular strap with the grolsch washers if I need to.

What do you do for strapping on an SG?

2. Knowcaster

Knowcaster Tele-Meister

Jun 30, 2007
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I'm in the same boat as you. I recently bought a used 2016 SG Standard T, which came with Straploks installed. I have never used the Dunlop ones before, so I gave them a shot and installed them on a strap I had. I immediately disliked the way they made the strap sit back from the guitar. Like you, I kept the buttons on the guitar and use a regular strap with the Grolsch type washers to secure it, which I like much better. Assuming I don't lose the washers.

PearlJamNoCode likes this.

3. Bruxist

Bruxist Tele-Afflicted

Oct 12, 2010
    Kentucky, USA
    I use Schaller straplocks.

mnutz likes this.

4. jaybones

jaybones Tele-Afflicted

Played in a band with a guitar player who has a '69 SG.

He used the factory button on the back of the body near the neck heel. The well broken in leather strap it came with was so soft the button would pull through.

He bought a new leather strap, took the button off and put it through the strap from the bottom of the button (where it would attach to the body). Used a Grolsch washer on top to reinforce it.

That's my complaint about those guitars. Strangely positioned strap button make the guitar want to flip forward putting strain on the strap to pull the button through. Other guitars hang from the button.

dr_tom likes this.

5. spellcaster

spellcaster Tele-Meister

Sep 8, 2009
    Duncan, B.C.
    If you want to use the strap locks, consider flush mounting them.

[​IMG]

PearlJamNoCode likes this.

6. e44crowe

e44crowe Tele-Meister

Jul 28, 2010
    Alabama
    I like this! Not sure there’s enough thickness with the SG though.

7. e44crowe

e44crowe Tele-Meister

Jul 28, 2010
    Alabama
    This is what I’m doing so far. I would say the Dunlop’s were a waste but the pegs are waaayyy better than the tiny Gibson ones that were on there.

Chud likes this.

8. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 16, 2014
    Auburn, California
    My '83 SG still has the stock ones from when it was sold new. Never considered changing them. Should I?

9. ndeli55

ndeli55 Tele-Afflicted

May 12, 2008
    oklahoma
    Yes, that's the way. You can get flush cups at firearms stores meant to mount slings to stocks. Drill and epoxy in. There will be plenty of meat on an sg, it might go into neck tenon just a tish. That's not an issue though.

10. Crawldaddy

Crawldaddy Tele-Meister

Dec 12, 2006
    Singapore

11. Paul G.

Paul G. Friend of Leo's

Mar 17, 2003
    Rhode Island
    My 2014 Gibson Firebird came stock with oversized aluminum buttons from Gibson. They work great, but aren't available as replacement parts.

Gotoh makes something very similar, but not aluminum. I don't remember where I got them, but I have since put them on my SG. They work nicely enough for me. EOSB-N.jpg

12. e44crowe

e44crowe Tele-Meister

Jul 28, 2010
    Alabama
    IMG_1272.JPG

^What I ended up doing. The Dunlop lockers are there if needed. I use the old school strap on the peg method and now it actually stays on with the Dunlop pegs having a little more meat. The washer is insurance.

The guitar just hangs better with the strap closer to the body.

13. xafinity

xafinity Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Dec 24, 2015
    my Mom's basement
    Its up to you. Just remember the girls all know which guys have the coolest strap buttons.

Paul G. and Karl Pilkington like this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.