Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

How about these new Xavieres from Guitarfetish?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by Jack Knife, Feb 14, 2011.

1. Teiscoman

Teiscoman Banned

Mar 23, 2011
    Seattle
    A little update on the XV-910 and the XV-950: The 910 is definitely the better guitar, at least as received. I find the pickups on the 950 a little anemic-sounding: they're all right, but they don't have a lot of output, and I don't think that their character is all that inspiring. In terms of output, I can generate feedback with my Epi Valve Jr. cranked, but only on a couple of notes (C-sharp/D-flat and G-sharp/A-flat). The body must have a couple of resonant peaks at those notes. It may be that, as the finish ages further, the guitar will become more resonant and feed back more easily--but I think that I can generate feedback more easily with some hotter pickups. So I'm probably going to swap the Retrotrons out for some PAF-style humbuckers or a humbucker-sized P90. (Of course, I could go for a pedal--but why not have the sound I want straight out of the guitar?)

The 910 is very playable (especially with D'Addario flatwound .11s and some setup tweaks), and the pickups have a nice presence to them.

2. Jack Knife

Jack Knife Friend of Leo's

Oct 24, 2003
    Magdalena, NM, US
    Dang, you got me wishing I had caved and popped for the red 910 they had on sale!

3. Teiscoman

Teiscoman Banned

Mar 23, 2011
    Seattle
    Jack Knife, I'm happy that I have both. I like playing the 950, even though it fights back a bit more than does the 910. And I think that, with some hotter pickups in it, the 950 will be a great machine!

4. Lerb21

Lerb21 Friend of Leo's

Dec 10, 2007
    New Florence, PA
    I finally set up my XV-950 the other day.

I adjusted the truss rod so the neck was almost straight. Bad fret buzz so I had to raise the bridge a little bit. There's still some buzz at the lower frets, but it's not heard when you're plugged into an amplifier. I had to sand down the 10th fret on the little e string though. There were some problems with the string fretting out on the 8th fret due to contact with the 10th fret. Fixed now.

I jacked up the pickups as far as they go. This thing screams, but I want to send them up even higher.

It's turned out to be a pretty darn good guitar once I put about an hours work into it.

5. Teiscoman

Teiscoman Banned

Mar 23, 2011
    Seattle
    Hey, Lerb--

Are you running your 950 straight into your amp? I find the pickups on mine a bit weak.

Best regards,

Dan, the Brain-Damaged Teiscoman

6. Jack Knife

Jack Knife Friend of Leo's

Oct 24, 2003
    Magdalena, NM, US
    Man, I'm jonsing big time for mine now. I gotta get back to NM and play it!

7. Lerb21

Lerb21 Friend of Leo's

Dec 10, 2007
    New Florence, PA
    Na, I'm using mine for Nuge duty so it gets a layer of the heaviest overdrive I got before it hits my Twin Reverb.

Plugged right into the amp though it does what it's supposed to I guess... it makes me sound like Duane Eddy in the Bridge and Middle and then sound like Billy Byrd or Hank Garland in the Neck...

I would like to put some PAFs in it to see how the thing would react though.

8. Teiscoman

Teiscoman Banned

Mar 23, 2011
    Seattle
    Hey, Lerb,

Sounds about right. With more volume or gain, I'm sure that mine would scream. But I'm running straight into an Epi Valve Junior. I just replaced the stock EL84 with a NOS Westinghouse 6BQ5 (and put in a JJ 12AX7). The 950 now sounds better, but it's still not a screaming demon. (But, man, does my ESP Xtone PC-2V ever sound tough!)

I was hoping that the 950 would feed back without any added gain or overdrive. I like it when a guitar is ready to feed back at a moment's notice. The 950 is not quite there.

Best regards,

Dan

9. toadman

toadman Tele-Afflicted

Mar 5, 2007
    andoverandoverandover,ct
    man! i want one with a bug in it!

10. Frudoc

Frudoc TDPRI Member

Feb 21, 2011
    Colorado
    I think of all the crazy pics in this thread, this one has made me laugh the most. I mean, can you picture the guy at the warehouse watching Cops on some old TV, fillin his mouth with cheetos with one hand and shoving a couple pieces of bubble wrap down the box with the other.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.