Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

How about these new Xavieres from Guitarfetish?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by Jack Knife, Feb 14, 2011.

1. slotrod65

slotrod65 Tele-Meister

Feb 11, 2009
    The ¢heapo-sphere
    I would like to reiterate that I am very happy with my XV-950. Sure, it turned out ot be a blem, but GFA made good on it. If I wanted perfect, I would have sprung $750 at GC for a Gretsch 5120. Instead, I payed $240 for a unique hollowbody. For the price, I am very satisfied with what I have. The guitar plays well, and I did not have to do a full setup, which is rare on almost any new guitar these days. I have even decided to keep the stock pickups.

2. Engraver-60

Engraver-60 Friend of Leo's

Jan 6, 2008
    Franklin, TN
    I purchased a Black ES-335 wannabee a few years ago that has a reversed Zemaitis headstock and similar aluminum badge & truss rod cover, and it even has push-pull tone knobs for coil tapping. Really pretty finish & excellent price (I gave $165 on eBay). They have excellent fit and finish and are worth the price.

3. Jack Knife

Jack Knife Friend of Leo's

Oct 24, 2003
    Magdalena, NM, US
    I'm a little disappointed GFS wouldn't even respond to my request for an adjustment, but after a good setup this guitar really is quite fun! I'm not sorry I got it.

4. Colo Springs E

Colo Springs E Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mar 4, 2003
    Colorado Springs
    This is my take after my own personal experience 2-3 years ago and reading the reports here... GuitarFetish and Xaviere guitars are hit or miss. Some ya win, some ya lose, others you invest time and/or money and get them right.

Your call if you wanna take the risk... I think I'll pass.

5. ITSGOTQUACK

ITSGOTQUACK Banned

Oct 10, 2010
    Mesquite, NV
    Man, that's just horrible. I'm going to go back and read the last few pages and see if you sent this thing back.

6. slotrod65

slotrod65 Tele-Meister

Feb 11, 2009
    The ¢heapo-sphere
    Nope, I kept it. GFS gave me a refund of $60 since the guitar was a blem. Mechanically, it works fine. I am very happy with it.

7. KCKC

KCKC Tele-Afflicted

Aug 10, 2008
    Hingham, MA
    Hey Slotrod,

I'm a bass player too! Looking at the amber one! Would love to get the "skeeter" upgrade as well! :D

Would love to check out your vid review but it keeps coming up private? :eek: Any possibility of checking that out?

KC

8. slotrod65

slotrod65 Tele-Meister

Feb 11, 2009
    The ¢heapo-sphere
    Hmm... I am not sure how I clicked that. I have just changed the setting back to public. Prepare to not be impressed. I am a hacker on guitar, but I enjoy myself, so that's all I need.

9. Big Burly

Big Burly Tele-Meister

Feb 23, 2011
    Oklahoma
    I thought the guitar sounded great, slotrod65. Your playing is right up my alley, style-wise.

10. Gnobuddy

Gnobuddy Friend of Leo's

Sep 15, 2010
    British Columbia
    You're a true musician! One of the best ways to get a musician to smile is to hand her new and quite unfamiliar instrument and let her play around with it.

The only instrument I'm even remotely competent on is guitar, but I fool around with a bass guitar and keyboards from time to time for fun. On bass, the only way I can come up with a passable bassline is if I write out the chord progression and then work at it for an hour or so. On keyboards - well, I can't do anything even passably well on a keyboard! But it's a great tool for learning music theory, coming up with original melodies, finding chords to harmonize a melody, and so on.

-Gnobuddy

11. Gnobuddy

Gnobuddy Friend of Leo's

Sep 15, 2010
    British Columbia
    Is anybody getting more traditional hollow body jazz archtop sounds out of their XV-950? And does anyone have any tips for me on how to get that traditional jazz tone out of these types of guitars? Control settings on amp and guitar, playing technique, etc?

So far I haven't got that tone out of my Dean Palomino. When I play it on the neck pickup alone it sounds rather a lot like a lightweight solid-body guitar with a clean single coil PU, or an acoustic steel-string guitar with a magnetic soundhole pickup and the treble turned down a bit. But I found a YouTube demo video of a Dean Palomino, and the musician playing in the video demonstrates some nice traditional jazzy tones.

In other words, it's not the guitar, it's me. Zero experience with jazz guitar here, so I don't know where to start to get that tone. Oh yeah, my amp is a little Super Champ XD upgraded with a bigger cab and a 12" speaker.

One curious thing I'm noticing: For some reason, the strings on the Palomino feel like they're at much lower tension than the same gauge strings on one of my Agile guitars with the same nominal 24.75" scale length. Weird, no? I wonder if the scale length is actually less than that published number?

-Gnobuddy

12. Disco Biscuits

Disco Biscuits TDPRI Member

Jan 5, 2011
    NC

For a jazz tone, I'd recommend putting your super champ on Voice 1. Use the neck pickup and roll back your tone knob to 2 or 3. If that doesn't work, you may need to look into some different pickups.

13. jimbcac

jimbcac TDPRI Member

Feb 23, 2010
    gold bar wa
    The tale of 2 XV950s

I got two of em. The first one in natural finish. GREAT guitar, pleased all
    around.
    The other one is surf green. Got it as a Clearance item - described as
    "Crack on the side".. Well the crack was caused because the upper
    bout neck strap button screw was HUGE. I have never thought that
    putting a neck strap button on the side of hollow guitar is a good idea,
    however I knew that it was there. Which is probly why they used such a large screw.
    HOWEVER the fretboard was also
    pulled away from the neck for about 4" at the headstock. The only thing
    holding the fretboard to the neck was the paint.
    So when I tuned er up..sprrrooong..Well that was a fairly easy fix with
    a hypodermic filled with titebond II. While I was at it I put a tusq nut on,
    and a wilkinson roller bridge. However the neck is never going to be quite
    right. That is ok. The guitar is playable. but I think that GFS really should
    have a chat with the supervisor in charge of quality control at their Chinese
    factory.
    What I really wanted from GFS on this guitar was some touch up paint to repair where the paint broke on the neck. But they do not do touch up
    paint..A point we may all make note of.
    However the 'natural' finish guitar is really a good guitar and
    well worth the money.

jim in gold bar

14. Gnobuddy

Gnobuddy Friend of Leo's

Sep 15, 2010
    British Columbia
    Thanks for the suggestion, Disco Biscuits (great username!). Yup, those are pretty much the settings I tried. I'll continue to experiment, I'm about to try a swap to heavier gauge strings (it's got 010's on it now). I should probably look up some jazzier chord voicings while I'm at it.

Hmm. Wonder if that YouTube demo had stock pickups on the Palomino or not.

-Gnobuddy

15. Gnobuddy

Gnobuddy Friend of Leo's

Sep 15, 2010
    British Columbia
    Did they really put that screw into the thin plywood sides of the guitar? No solid wood block on the inside of the body to receive that screw?

I like that location (on the side, above the neck) for the strap button because it makes the guitar hang much better than the more traditional location on the base of the neck heel. The heel location makes the guitar want to roll over away from the player and face slightly top down, because its behind the guitars center of gravity.

I have a cheapo acoustic-electric guitar on which I installed a strap button in the same location as the XV-950, but I carved a suitably sized wood block to shape and glued it in first, so the screw goes into solid wood. No problems at all with that guitar. I would love to do the same with my semi-hollow Agile AS-820, but haven't figured out a way to install a wood block with nothing more than that tiny f-hole for access.
    Holy cow. And here we were thinking a fly in the finish was bad. :eek:
    I suspect the QC supervisor might be the factory owners pet hamster, judging by the quality of the QC work.

-Gnobuddy

16. Woody Duke

Woody Duke Tele-Meister

Nov 12, 2009
    Fullerton, CA
    You might try a set of flatwound strings; that will darken the tone, especially if you go with a medium to heavy gauge.

17. tdu

tdu Friend of Leo's

Jan 4, 2005
    Ontario, Canada
    Did you send a link to this thread when you emailed your request? I would have. It's in their best interest to resolve these situations when there is a thread on a forum this size. They have the option to save face by providing good customer service, which it seems they have for others in the thread. I'd email them again.

18. Disco Biscuits

Disco Biscuits TDPRI Member

Jan 5, 2011
    NC
    Flatwound strings are great for jazz as well, though a lot of people aren't huge fans of them. They aren't good for bending, but if you are playing jazz you probably aren't doing a lot of string bends.

19. Birdmankustomz

Birdmankustomz Friend of Leo's

Aug 28, 2008
    New York
    I kinda want to dig little pockets in a guitar body and put bugs in it, like flies and wasps and such, then bury it all in clear :lol:

20. Gnobuddy

Gnobuddy Friend of Leo's

Sep 15, 2010
    British Columbia
    Thanks for the suggestion! It's on my list of things to try. Right now there is a set of 0.010 Ernie Ball strings on the guitar, and I just bought a set of D'Addario Jazz Light 0.011's to try, but haven't installed them yet. If my fingers can adjust to that gauge and I'm still not getting the tone I want, I'll try some flatwounds.

I may need a new bridge, or at least some new saddles for the Palomino. The pre-cut slots in some of the bridge saddles are a bit too wide, so one or two of the thinner strings are making sitar-like noises every now and then.

Oddly enough, string bending with the 0.010's is surprisingly easy - the Palomino is supposed to have the Gibson Les Paul scale length, but feels like it's even shorter for some reason.

I usually use .009's on my electrics and .010's on my steel-string acoustics, so .011's or heavier gauge will require me to grow some tougher calluses - and risk re-awakening my RSI problems in my wrists and forearms.

-Gnobuddy

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.