Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

How about Dwight Yoakam and his guitarists?

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by elicross, Sep 16, 2012.

1. elicross

elicross Poster Extraordinaire

Aug 26, 2010
    SC
    Dwight's got a new album coming out Tuesday: 3 Pears.

He's always given us the goods with a traditional sound that calls to mind legends like George Jones and Buck Owens. Somehow, he's managed to do that even on the occasional track that otherwise sounded kinda modern and produced. And he's always had some good twang in there. He and Lyle Lovett are my favorite country artists who are still living and not old enough to be my dad. :lol:

So who plays guitar for Dwight? Does he have a band that's stayed pretty much the same over the years, or does he tend to hire studio aces for his albums and tours?

I was just listening to Hillbilly Deluxe in preparation for his first original record in seven years, and I got to wondering....

2. Jimbo015

Jimbo015 TDPRI Member

Dec 9, 2008
    Lac Du Flambeau, Wi
    For the longest time he had his producer Pete Anderson as his guitarist. Up until they had parted ways mid 00's. Then I believe he used a dude named Keith Gattis for "Blame The Vain". After that he got Eddie Perez for the Buck Album. Not sure who's going to be on this new release.

3. Whoa Tele

Whoa Tele Tele-Afflicted

Mar 20, 2009
    Smyrna Ga.
    To me, Pete was like Dwight's Don Rich and he's not been the same since they split up. Granted, I still prefer Dwights releases when compared to 99.9% of what passes for country music these days.

4. lumco

lumco Banned

Jan 13, 2010
    Philadelphia
    When Dwight had Pete it was the best ever and has never been the same since. I have seen him in concert so many times over the years and even saw him once in New Orleans many years ago with Eddy Shaver who covered for Pete on some shows. Eddie Perez, Keith Gattis are both great players but I heard Eddie is back with Mavericks so I don't know who will be supporting him if he tours for this album. For me I wish that DY and Pete could patch it up and get together again.. it was special

5. Steveareno

Steveareno Tele-Afflicted

Dec 10, 2010
    Dogtown So Cal
    Yeah, Dwight went Hollywood for a while and kinda lost the plot. He's a good actor (man, he looks different without the hat), but now he's got back to his knitting. His first two albums with Pete, really knocked it out of the park. When I played out (many years ago now) Guitars, Cadillacs and HonkyTonk Man were favorites on the set list. Seems like he's been doing alot of touring the last couple of years, doing the hard yards and paying the rent
    Swang on,

6. JohnK24

JohnK24 Friend of Leo's

Mar 16, 2003
    Western PA

Ok...identify the new guitar slinger

7. Shidoin

Shidoin Tele-Holic

Jan 7, 2009
    Ventura CA

8. blowtorch

blowtorch Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

May 2, 2003
    Wisco
    I'd heard, here, in an earlier post regarding this album, that someone like Beck was producing it and Dwight was playing the guitar himself on it.

9. getbent

getbent Telefied Ad Free Member

james mattingly III

10. lumco

lumco Banned

Jan 13, 2010
    Philadelphia
    I would like to see him in concert again but the clown on guitar would totally turn me off..

11. benbd

benbd Tele-Meister

Dec 20, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    The new guitar player's name is Eugene Edwards

12. guitrplyntaylor

guitrplyntaylor TDPRI Member

Feb 27, 2012
    Prunedale
    Lovin his new album! Eddie plays lead on a few tracks

13. TSims1

TSims1 TDPRI Member

Oct 6, 2011
    Atlanta
    Agree. I like Dwight, but he was best with Pete at the wheel. A reunion would be like, the coolest thing EVER.

14. kidmo

kidmo Friend of Leo's

May 25, 2008
    Funkytown
    YOL (yuck out loud)

15. tweedtone

tweedtone Tele-Afflicted

Dec 2, 2004
    Tampa Bay, FL
    Eddie Perez is now full-time back with The Mavericks.

God, if the Mavericks and Dwight did a tour together...whoa.

16. HC

HC Tele-Holic

Dec 14, 2004
    Norway
    This seems very harsh and uncalled for. It seems that Dwight thinks he is good enough to play in the band, and a friend of mine who saw them live this summer also thought he was great!
    I love Pete Andersons playing, but I felt that the Blame the Vain album was a real vitamin injection for Dwight, caused by a new guitar player and producer. Sometimes change is needed to go forward. I am looking forward to hearing the new record and the new guitar player!

17. Whoa Tele

Whoa Tele Tele-Afflicted

Mar 20, 2009
    Smyrna Ga.
    Well said. My memory is foggy on this but I believe Eugene Edwards (Dwight's current guitarist) used to go by Gene Jamirillo. My old rockabilly band played with him at Linda's Doll Hut in Anaheim and Eugene (aka Gene) tore it up and got alot of rave reviews from the crowd. One of the guys that complimented his performance that night was a fellow named Albert Lee who they say is a pretty good picker as well.

18. Cosmicdancer

Cosmicdancer Tele-Meister

May 2, 2012
    Tennessee
    The new record is terrific. I definitely think Pete was his best guitarist, but it's not like he's been playing with slouches since. I think the new one and Blame the Vain are both top notch. Dwight is still showing those goons in Nashville how it should be done.

19. lumco

lumco Banned

Jan 13, 2010
    Philadelphia

one thing nice about these forums, is we are allowed to express our feelings. I didn't say anything about his guitar playing or his fret-board wizardy and I am sure if he plays with Dwight that he can play..I still wouldn't waste a dime watching that clown on stage. if I want to see a clown I will go to a Rodeo or a Circus.

20. Whoa Tele

Whoa Tele Tele-Afflicted

Mar 20, 2009
    Smyrna Ga.
    Most of my favorite guitarists are clowns :)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.