Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Hound Dog Taylor tone

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Shidoin, Mar 29, 2012.

1. Shidoin

Shidoin Tele-Holic

Ha! the jokes on me. I have great gear, but I want to get the sound of a $25.00 guitar through a $50.00 amp. Is there any pedal that NAILS the Hound Dog tone? It's almost a fuzz, but not quite.

Don't misunderstand me, I can get a good tone on my own, and a good distorted tone with the stuff I have, but I want the Dog's tone!
    Thanks.

2. blowtorch

blowtorch Doctor of Teleocity

Get some crap gear.
    Seriously.

3. artdecade

artdecade Poster Extraordinaire

Yup. Get a Pignose or something and play a cheap guitar through it.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. twintwelve

twintwelve Tele-Afflicted

HDT played a 1964 Kawai S-180 4 pickup guitar, and also Kingston and Teisco 4 p'up models. He played through a variety of tube Silvertones (1472/82, maybe 1484), and when he started playing bigger gigs, his manager, Bruce Iglauer bought him a Fender Super, which The Dog and Brewer Phillips both plugged into on occasion...

6. blowtorch

a decent EQ pedal should get you there. Try experimenting with extreme settings, with some frequencies cranked and some turned all the way down.

7. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Friend of Leo's

No Bass right, just HDT, a cranked Tele and drums?

I actually get a similar tone (perhaps more polite, but close) with my Dano w/neck pickup/( vol/tone cranked) >really any OD I own at Moderate Gain> Blues Jr.

8. vespa1

vespa1 Tele-Meister

The Nick Greer Ghetto Stomp can get close to the sound of a low wattage Valco cranked. That and some single coils should put you in the ballpark. Assuming your hands and technique are in Hound Dog's ballpark.

9. twintwelve

twintwelve Tele-Afflicted

I can get some super trashy blues tone plugging my Harmony H-74 hollowbody---equipped w/ Dearmond gold foils, into my Danelectro eq to give it some boost, then into my Silvertone 1484 TwinTwelve with the channels jumped.......

10. tjalla

tjalla Friend of Leo's

Danelectro Pastrami Drive. $30 of nasty.

11. Shidoin

Shidoin Tele-Holic

Thanks tjalla, that's kind of what I had in mind. If that's you, great playing!
    I put this thread in the stomp box forum because I know what kind of gear the Dog used; I just thought with so many effects makers putting out stuff, someone would have tried to copy one of the greatest tones of all time.

12. King Creole

King Creole Tele-Afflicted

You might try fuzz with your guitar volume rolled off a bit. I go for a similar sound with a tele, no compressor, Devi Ever Torn's Peaker fuzz with my volume rolled off half way. It gets me that nasty skronk.

I set my fuzz with a hot level so I can roll off guitar volume and still get unity gain with my non-fuzz settings. I rarely use fuzz with my guitar wide open.

13. King Creole

King Creole Tele-Afflicted

Most fuzzes will have too much low end for Hound Dog tone. You could put your fuzz and an eq with bass cut in a loop so you switch on the loop and approximate the sound.

14. jimdd

jimdd TDPRI Member

get a teisco. got mine for the price of a new big muff.

15. blowtorch

yeah teiscos bring it! the garage band i'm in, the other guitarist is a big teisco/harmony aficianado

16. bo

bo Friend of Leo's

I've never heard a pedal that can sound like an old Japanese guitar through a cranked SF Super Reverb. Do please let us know when you find it!

17. Teiscoman

Teiscoman Banned

Yes yes yes!

18. dblues

dblues Tele-Holic

The one time I got to see him play I remember the amp being SF Fender. Didn't really pay attention to which model but I remember when he came out and started playing with the band nothing came out of the amp. The band kept playing and he just sat there while someone figured out what was wrong. Seemed like it took about 30 seconds and then that amazing sound came on. He was always one of my favorites.

Sent from my iPad using TDPRI

19. Teiscoman

Teiscoman Banned

I suspect that Hound Dog would've sounded like Hound Dog playing a vintage D'Angelico into a Roland Jazz Chorus. And that tone! He sounded like amplified barbed wire--and I mean that in a good way!

I'm a huge fan of Hound Dog, and I've bought a bunch of gear trying to get it. I did find a tone that I thought was close using a Kawai three-pickup sort of Jazzmaster-y thing with a tiny Sears Silvertone amp (a 1430--about 2.3 watts into a six-inch speaker) and a Roger Mayer Stone fuzz, with the gain barely cracked open and the drive set to taste. The small speaker reduces bass response, and overdriving with the fuzz gives a very hot sound.

I now have a funky little PA that consists of a Realistic-brand tube head and an eight-inch speaker. I plug into the microphone input. When the PA is dimed, it sounds pretty amazing--at least to me. It's not exactly Hound Dog, but it's pretty close.

Now here's a challenge: try getting the tone that Elmore James got on "Something Inside Me" or "I Need You Baby."

20. Rufus

Rufus Tele-Afflicted

You could modify that nice $2000 tube amp you have.

Just take a razor and slice the speaker cone. :cool:

21. tjalla

tjalla Friend of Leo's

Another option would be a Menatone Dirty Blonde or Foxy Brown - can sound nasty when pushed. A nicer nasty than the Dano for sure, I have used them both. Not me on the clip btw.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.