Hot Rod tele (with mini neck humbucker) out of phase in middle position?

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by Activateclint, Apr 16, 2019 at 1:25 AM.

1. Activateclint

Activateclint TDPRI Member

Hey all i have the hot rod tele with the seymour duncan mini humbucker in the neck (SM-1N). Its had a few wiring mods over the years and I'm trying to get it back to original but by using a Rumplestiltskin 1950 Black Rope in the bridge (that i believe is reverse wound), in place of the original fender broadcaster style pickup.
    Ive checked the wiring many times but In the centre position it seems like its out of phase and thin sounding. Would that be right paired with the SM-1N? If i clip the wires and reverse the polarity of the bridge pickup could that fix it?
    Thanks,
    Clint :)

chezdeluxe likes this.
  2. Andy B

Andy B Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

If you reverse the leads it will change the phase. If the pickup has a metal baseplate connected to one of the leads it needs to be separated and an additional wire run. The ground lead for the strings needs to be separate from the pickup leads.

chezdeluxe likes this.
  3. Danjabellza

Danjabellza Friend of Leo's

Or you can swap the wires on the bridge pickup. Might be easier than messing with the ground on the neck pickup.

4. Activateclint

Ok thanks! So that DOES sound like the problem?
    The SM-1N pickup only has the 2 wires, external shielding/ground and the centre hot so i will have to alter the bridge pickup anyhoooo.

chezdeluxe likes this.
  5. Mincer

Mincer Tele-Meister

Yes, this sounds like a phase issue. Reverse the wires on the bridge pickup.

Andy B and Activateclint like this.
  6. chezdeluxe

chezdeluxe Poster Extraordinaire

The original Fender bridge pickup on the 52 Hotrod was reverse polarity from normal Fender to put it in phase with the Seymour Duncan neck pickup.

To put your bridge pickup in phase you need to do one of two things but not both.

1. Swap the coil wires, snip the baseplate ground and run a new bridge string ground as stated by Andy B in post #2 above.
    Or
    2. Reverse the polarity of the slugs in the bridge pickup by using a strong neodymium magnet.

7. Activateclint

Thanks all for the info! Just wanted to make sure before i cut stuff :).
    Ill reverse the coil wires!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.