Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Horror movies

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by blowtorch, Oct 1, 2015.

1. Sconnie

Sconnie Tele-Holic

May 1, 2017
    Denver, CO
    I'll check out the ones you recommend. I haven't seen anything similar to Martyrs (which I really, really enjoy) so I'm excited to find a few that strike a similar chord. Thanks soulgeezer!

soulgeezer likes this.

2. Frank'n'censed

Frank'n'censed Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 27, 2011
    Parts Unknown
    The Edmonton Oilers season has been a reoccurring nightmare, thus far :confused:

3. Frank'n'censed

Mar 27, 2011
    Parts Unknown
    I read a number of the top critic reviews, sounding, strongly divided

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/irreversible/reviews/?type=top_critics

4. soulgeezer

soulgeezer Poster Extraordinaire

Nov 5, 2006
    Sinatra's World
    Real art seldom brings consensus. Irreversible is real art. A number of the "Top Critics" reviews echo the way I think about the film. A few comments taken from the blurbs on the Rotten Tomatoes page that I think are spot on:

"Extremely difficult to endure, and if you choose to endure it, it could leave you feeling angry and upset. Nevertheless, this is serious filmmaking, and Noe is a gifted filmmaker."

"A fascinating study in excess, a movie that seduces and repulses as it explores the merciless nature of fate."

"A genuine outlaw work of art."

"A sometimes repellent yet deeply moving film."

"An integrated work whose form clearly mirrors its content."

"Those up to a challenge who attend with an open mind will find something to gnaw at the soul."

And, from Rex Reed, who is not known as any kind of proponent or fan or so-called exploitation movies:

"Powerful and profound."

The thing few critics seem to comment on is that the opening scenes of the movie have an analogue in Dante's Seventh Circle of Hell ("crimes of lust") from the Inferno. The movie follows much the same journey as Dante, being led by Virgil from the depths of Hell, through purgatory (scenes on the train and at the party), and ending with a vision of beatific peace, joy, and beauty (literally, "Beatrice") in heaven.

This movie is real, actual art. Hence, I am not at all surprised that it would inspire conflicting opinions. Anything that is loved by all isn't "art"; it's entertainment. Art makes you think and consider the place of man in the universe. Irreversible does it in spades.

No one said art had to be beautiful, only that it has to provide a window on truth. And, to quote a million pretentious first-year philosophy students - not to mention the title of an episode of Star Trek: TOS - "Is there in truth no beauty"?

5. Frank'n'censed

Mar 27, 2011
    Parts Unknown
    I walked out of a movie, a few weeks back, (a very rare thing, for myself). The picture in question was Mother!, a pretentious mess, showing initial promise, unfolding into some kind of deep, socio-political cinema. I didn’t have to think long, after enduring the compounding, relentless statement, running for the door

Last edited: Nov 2, 2017

6. soulgeezer

soulgeezer Poster Extraordinaire

Nov 5, 2006
    Sinatra's World
    Irreversible is not pretentious crap, I promise you that. It is art dressed up as exploitation, but with a depth of meaning that you experience viscerally without ever having to think about it.

It's that very visceral-ness that leads to the varying perceptions. But, the movie can be taken as I did, i.e. a metaphor for the hero's journey from Hell to heaven, though skewed so that the actual journey is that of life, i.e. from heaven and innocence to Hell and pain, where fate decides without mercy or a sense of justice. Or, you can just see it as an exploitation movie. But, the story is absolutely linear (in reverse, of course) and becomes simpler as the movie goes on.

The first ten minutes are the hardest to watch, especially if you have vertigo. The famous rape scene is hard to watch, because of the content depicted. After that, it's all prologue to what we've already seen.

All I can say is give it a try and see what you think. Then, come back here and tell us about it!

Last edited: Nov 2, 2017
    Frank'n'censed likes this.

7. zosofan

zosofan Tele-Meister

Jan 27, 2007
    Ontario Canada
    "Don't be afraid of the dark "

Frank'n'censed likes this.

8. blowtorch

blowtorch Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

May 2, 2003
    Wisco
    Watched "The Bye Bye Man" last week, it's better than most plus! Based in Madison WI.

I have high hopes for this sequel, the original was great:

9. blowtorch

blowtorch Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

May 2, 2003
    Wisco
    Hey so I watched that Shin Gojira the other weekend, and it was really quite good.
    Hoping to see "It" before it moves out of the cheap theater and on to DVD land

Also a few weeks ago I watche "The Bye Bye Man", it's better than most of these things, and, it uses Madison/Sun Prairie WI as it's location.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.