Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Horror movies

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by blowtorch, Oct 1, 2015.

1. blowtorch

blowtorch Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

May 2, 2003
    Wisco
    Watched "As Above, So Below" with my sons a couple nights back. It was better than most, but my sons called it out on it's faulty historical timelines that characters discussed as part of the plot of the movie. And it was distracting that the actor who plays the male protagonist from "Superstore" was the main guy in this movie. And yet the main main guy in this movie was not a guy but a chick, yet another example of what is discussed in the post above

2. TMMC

TMMC Tele-Afflicted

Apr 3, 2013
    SLC
    Easily in my top ten suspense films. Funny, though, how many girls/women do end up on the chopping block in horror movies. It's not as frequent as it's been purported to be--Joss Whedon created Buffy as an anathema of the stereotype--but it's still pretty interesting that the set up is essentially damsel in distress in so many horror movies. I do tend to agree, though, that horror and sci-fi tend to promote the idea of a woman's strength and unexpected fortitude, more than perhaps any other genre. By comparison, most romance films seem to insult women.

3. Frank'n'censed

Frank'n'censed Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 27, 2011
    Parts Unknown
    The mother/daughter combo of Janet Leigh & Jamie Lee Curtis, immediately come to mind, with Psycho & Halloween

TMMC likes this.

4. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

I need to see it, if only to make sense of the OpEd in the NYT.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2017

5. Frank'n'censed

Mar 27, 2011
    Parts Unknown
    Anybody see Devil's Candy...it's getting decent reviews?

6. blowtorch

May 2, 2003
    Wisco
    It's all totally based on sex stuff of course

7. TMMC

TMMC Tele-Afflicted

Apr 3, 2013
    SLC
    Isn't most everything?

8. soulgeezer

soulgeezer Poster Extraordinaire

Nov 5, 2006
    Sinatra's World
    Over the weekend, TCM had a marathon of truly classic horror movies. I watched Invasion of the Body Snatchers and The Haunting, both of which are - of course - classics and for very good reason. In between, I watched a bizarre Japanese confection called "House" that can only be described as... Well, in fact, it's pretty indescribable!

If you haven't seen "House," I strongly recommend checking it out. If you're a horror fan, it's kind of a must-see, though for all the wrong reasons. The plot is incomprehensible, the special effects are anything but "special," the acting is six levels below a grade-Z John Water's flick, and it is just generally a mish-mash of images and action that make no sense whatsoever. But,...

It's amazing! I read a little bit about the making of the movie and it's basically a story conceived by the director's 7 or 8-year old daughter. The guy who ended up directing it wasn't supposed to, but the production company (Toho, which also made the Godzilla movies and Ultraman, by the way) couldn't get anybody else to direct it. Every director they approached said it would end their careers and they wanted nothing to do with it. So, finally, after two or so years, Toho agreed to let the writer direct it. And, what a job he did!

The most flabbergasting thing? It was supposed to be a knockoff of Jaws. Well, how you get form Jaws to this abomination against God and man, I have no idea. But, it's a wonderful mystery, as the world would be diminished it this movie didn't exist!

tidalcast likes this.

9. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Friend of Leo's

Dec 21, 2004
    central ky
    i've started watching "Hausu" a couple of times, but decided to wait until i have the right group of people together. what can i say, it's a trip, man.

blowtorch likes this.

10. blowtorch

May 2, 2003
    Wisco
    I watched "The Forest" with my sons over the weekend. It's set in the Japanese "suicide forest" next to Mt. Fuji.

My boys and I were giving it way more credit than it deserved towards the beginning, thinking things were going to really have a huge twist. We were wrong.

It was okay. Kinda cool for someone to get the idea for this, but it could've been done better. It still had a few moments.

11. Frank'n'censed

Mar 27, 2011
    Parts Unknown
    We watched Split last night & really enjoyed the thriller/horror affair

12. blowtorch

May 2, 2003
    Wisco
    That one's on my list. M. Night Shama Lama has been hit or miss lately, but that one looks good

Frank'n'censed likes this.

13. blowtorch

May 2, 2003
    Wisco
    Watched "The Wailing", a Korean horror thriller.
    It was good, but I was a little shocked at the bigotry revealed by it

14. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity

Nov 7, 2009
    Kansas City, MO
    You are shocked by the bigotry in a horror movie? C'mon...in all the zombie movies all the living people hate the dead people so much they kill them...

15. blowtorch

May 2, 2003
    Wisco
    william tele, ok , let me rephrase, I was shocked how bigotry was portrayed as the right and correct view, in this film

That obviously doesn't fly in American films these days, unless, you know, the bigotry is against white men :)

16. blowtorch

May 2, 2003
    Wisco
    Speaking of the "B" word, I watched "Get Out" last night. It was okay. I enjoyed it, and I got the point.
    But it wasn't great

17. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity

Nov 7, 2009
    Kansas City, MO
    Firstly, I was attempting to be funny...but I hear you. Of course bigotry is not the right and correct view and I'm glad we're able to recognize that. What I'm confused about is the current crusade to try and eliminate every single trace of a naturally occurring history that happens to include our definition of bigotry and racism. It happened...so did a lot of horrible things. Let's talk about Native Americans...

blowtorch likes this.

18. blowtorch

May 2, 2003
    Wisco
    Odd film indeed.

19. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Friend of Leo's

Dec 21, 2004
    central ky
    Yup.

20. chemobrain

chemobrain Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Nov 5, 2016
    oakland ca.
    I saw the devil

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.