Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Horror movies

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by blowtorch, Oct 1, 2015.

1. blowtorch

blowtorch Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

May 2, 2003
    Wisco
    Hey, it's October :D

Can anyone recommend any good recent horror movies? I say recent because, like, I have seen everything that isn't.

I thought that Crimson Peak thing looked kinda interesting...

2. MilwMark

MilwMark Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Apr 29, 2013
    near Arnold's
    Ohh. Good thread. Great idea. I need to catch up on recent stuff. You know, from this century. Great for wife and kids are asleep viewing.

3. johnny k

johnny k Tele-Afflicted

Jan 15, 2011
    France
    i ve talked about it before, but nobody seemed to have notice it so here you go

don t click if you don t like gore, prolly NSFW as well.

Ash vs evil dead

it ll premier in october.

4. overlock

overlock Tele-Afflicted

Aug 25, 2009
    N. Ireland
    I love horror movies, but my tastes aren't everyone's. I like a genuinely creepy atmosphere and a leavening of dark humour, rather than slasher stuff. And when I see another prom queen heading down the cellar steps, I'm pretty much switching off. My favourites are those old "portmanteau" horrors from Amicus, Tigon etc. Creepy, cheesy and always good for a giggle. So, recent stuff - well, let's see.

I thought Insidious was pretty good. It's a bit of a curate's egg: the first half is terrific, the second more "interesting", but I enjoyed the movie as a whole. The sequel too.

Sinister, on the other hand, was not my cup of tea at all. Nasty slasher stuff with a back story that was pure tripe.

For MilwMark, if I can go back a few years. I'm sure you've seen The Sixth Sense, but what about The Others? And the first Silent Hill movie is really good, considering that it's from the film-of-the-video-game genre. Also Skeleton Key and Orphan.

If you don't mind subtitles, there are some excellent Spanish horror movies too: Pan's Labyrinth, The Devil's Backbone, The Orphanage.

Oh, nearly forgot. Skeletons: a brilliant English horror with a twist from a couple of years ago. You must watch that one.

Now. Let's split up and find a way out of here....

5. blowtorch

May 2, 2003
    Wisco
    Pretty sure I've seen all of those except "Skeletons", I'll be on the lookout for it, thanks. Insidious and Sinister I get mixed up which is which, because of their titles, I guess. I thought they were okay, both

6. Tle4

Tle4 Tele-Afflicted

Dec 28, 2010
    Warrington, Pa. USA
    I thought Contracted was pretty good. Didn't like the second one as much

7. voodooblues

voodooblues Friend of Leo's

Sep 12, 2012
    Berwyn, Il
    Does anyone have an opinion about House of 1000 Corpses? I'm not a big horror movie guy but am intrigued by this one because of Rob Zombie.

zosofan and ArivacaCharlie like this.

8. blowtorch

May 2, 2003
    Wisco
    LOVED it. It is WAY over-the-top. The sequel, The Devil's Rejects, is more of a proper "Film", but House is more fun, in a way twisted way, of course. I love Rob's films and am eagerly anticipating seeing "31", and his hockey movie:D

zosofan likes this.

9. codamedia

codamedia Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2009
    Western Canada
    You are fooling me with "recent"... a good horror movie is few and far between. Like "overlock" I'm not a slasher fan, but I do love a good horror movie like The 6th Sense, The Others, Skeleton Key... even the Conjuring had some genuine spooky moments.

Since I can't think of any recent... here are a few lesser known movies in case you have not seen them.

1: The Changeling (1980: w/George C. Scott. The best kept secret in ghost stories)
    2: Suspiria (1977: a cult classic directed by Dario Argento)
    3: Ghost Story (1981: adaptation of a Peter Straub book)
    4: Innkeepers (2012: fairly recent... low budget, good story)
    5: House of the Devil (2009: this suffers from a "B movie" budget and looks like a 70's horror film, but it's worth a watch)

10. blowtorch

May 2, 2003
    Wisco
    You are right, most horror movies are indeed horrible :lol:
    Still I love a good one.
    I did see Innkeepers and agree that it was decent. Suspiria is of course awesome. I enjoyed House of the Devil for that 70s aesthetic that you mention

11. 6942

6942 Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 15, 2006
    Santa Fe, NM
    Bubba Hotep

If you like strange-n'-and really campy horror movies......this Bud's for you! :lol:

Steve :D

Sofaplayer likes this.

12. blowtorch

May 2, 2003
    Wisco
    I hate Bubba Hotep because it makes fun of Elvis :lol:

Joe Lansdale is a great modern horror writer, though

13. Frank'n'censed

Frank'n'censed Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 27, 2011
    Parts Unknown
    The slasher/gororama/blood bath stuff generally bore's me to tears, blowing their proverbial load, within 5 minutes. I love the classics, campy stuff, spoofs, ghost stories & especially the ones that psychologically, creep the sh_t outa you! The Babadook's a recent, Australian feature that's highly recommended. I mentioned this one, earlier today, because of the great, Burgess Meredith...Although he only has a smaller, supporting role, to Karen Black, Oliver Reed & the legendary, Bettie Davis, his turn in Burnt Offerings, is worth the trip, alone! A mid-'70's, underrated, guilty pleasure, old school, horror, flick...you'll never forget the chauffeur!

14. blowtorch

May 2, 2003
    Wisco
    Babadook was good. I'll have to check out Burnt Offerings, but I think I may have seen it

15. Frank'n'censed

Mar 27, 2011
    Parts Unknown
    Bubba ROCKS!!!...B-movie god, Bruce Campbell, as an elderly Elvis & Ozzie Davis, an African American who thinks he's JFK, team up to battle a life sucking Mummy, in a retirement home...what's not to like?

Sofaplayer likes this.

16. Frank'n'censed

Mar 27, 2011
    Parts Unknown
    Want some campy, retro-fun, check out the great, Darren McGavin as Kolchak the Night Stalker...got 'em all, including the 2 movies, on DVD!

frankg11 likes this.

17. blowtorch

May 2, 2003
    Wisco
    you don't mess with the King :D

I've watched one episode of Kolchak-Night Stalker, it seemed pretty cool

18. bender66

bender66 Friend of Leo's

Jan 18, 2010
    on my bike
    Used to watch that on the tube when I was a young'un. Gonna have to go back & check em out again. A few years back I made an effort to watch an episode of The Outer Limits a day in Oct , but I digress.

I usually come to the Blowtorch threads to find my movies. Please carry on.

19. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

Aug 6, 2014
    UK
    My movie fan son recommends:

- The Awakening - quality, spooky ghost story

- Evil Dead remake

- Let the right one in (scandanavian original and best) / let me in (us version)

- Cabin in the woods

I like oldies like American Werewolf in London too

teletubby25 likes this.

20. blowtorch

May 2, 2003
    Wisco
    I enjoyed Let the Right One On but really didn't care for Let Me In.
    I dunno why they bother with most of these American remakes, like, the Girl With the Dragon Tattoo Who Played With Fire and Kicked the Hornet's Nest, why bother with clunky, sucky American versions?

Cabin in the Woods was a fun metamovie

The Awakening wasn't bad. The second Woman in Black movie was a lot like that

Evil Dead remake was fun, I know lots of diehard Evil Dead fans don't like it, if you just accept it as a different movie, it's enjoyable

teletubby25 likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.