Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Horn Section -- Plugin options?

Discussion in 'Recording In Progress' started by pete-strych, Mar 6, 2017.

1. Telegazer

Telegazer Tele-Holic

May 6, 2008
    Republic of Korea
    "Free" pretty much automatically means no deep sampling involved, which is why the DSK patches sound like they're straight out of a Standard MIDI collection. But even Big Fish Audio Vintage Horns ($199) library has horrible legato scripting, attacks are way to heavy at all velocities, and really should only be used to double up live tracking to create fuller mixing, if used at all.

I play trumpet and trombone on my own mixes so I rarely have issue with brass, but often it can sound so much better to double up on tenor sax...VSL libraries were pioneers in deep sampling, and although their patches can be found on NI KOMPLETE (a great value, even just for having KONTAKT), the memory-heavy legato patches are not included so you're stuck with cheap sustain and staccato patches.

Despite it's plasticy sounds in big block chords, NI Session Horns as mentioned above are probably the best of the bunch out there for having more articulations on tap and a really natural brass ensemble panning feel...and sound not too shabby if you understand each instrument's role and can voice the parts in their natural tessatura. BTW if you own a DAW and even just mess about with your arrangements, NI KOMPLETE is still an excellent value in the long run.

2. w3stie

w3stie Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 19, 2010
    Brisbane
    I have the Ultimate Select which came with the keyboard. I can upgrade for a big discount, but a lot of the stuff in Ultimate is synths etc that I probably wouldn't use. I really like the sound of the strummed guitar and a couple of the basses though, so I will get them.

3. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Aug 17, 2012
    Seattle
    I first started with Komplete 8, thinking that I wouldn't use many things in the Ultimate bundle, so I would start with the standard bundle and then just buy the additional libraries that I would actually use. At the end of the day, the money I spent would have equalled just getting the Ultimate bundle to begin with, so I have since just upgraded to each Ultimate bundle as it is released.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. w3stie

Apr 19, 2010
    Brisbane
    Shoot. This stuff is more addictive than crack.

;)

6. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Aug 17, 2012
    Seattle
    It is, but you have something to show for it when you're done.

7. w3stie

Apr 19, 2010
    Brisbane
    I just purchased the session horns Package. They sound pretty good.
    I probably should just cough up the $1400 AUD for the Komplete Ultimate bundle, but I'm telling myself I can get by with less.

But then I'd want the symphony series etc!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.