Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Hope you guys are getting ready for Florence. Cat 4 or 5

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Ira7, Sep 10, 2018.

1. Phrygian77

Phrygian77 Tele-Afflicted

Apr 30, 2016
    Crawfordville, FL
    Hermine was a category 1 with 80 mph winds when it hit us in 2016. That was the first storm I had experienced like that since Kate hit Tallahassee in 1985. My girlfriend and I were lucky, there was no damage to our property, and our power was only out for about 12 hours. Some parts of the Tallahassee area were without power for nearly a week.

I don't remember exactly what time our power went out during Hermine, but it was a few hours before the storm made landfall at 1:30 AM. We spent a lot of time playing cards and board games by candle light.

It was pitch black outside. You couldn't see anything at all, but you could sure hear it all! That was the worst/scariest part of it. At one point early on, I remember going outside on my front porch to smoke a cigarette (addiction makes you do stupid things). Through the already loud whistling sounds of the wind, I heard a crack, like the sound of a tree snapping. I originally thought, "I'm standing in an area that's fairly well sheltered". I came to my senses and went back inside. From then on, I smoked in my garage. Even that was creepy because the force of the wind pushing on the garage door made it creak like an old wooden ship at sea.

tery likes this.

2. Ira7

Ira7 Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Agree with the above:

This "just" being a 2 is nonsense.

Phrygian77 likes this.

3. 24 track

24 track Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Nov 6, 2014
    kamloops bc
    the only comment I can make is for all involved or affected, Be safe, and be prepared, and hug the crap out of your family !

4. dkmw

dkmw Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Mar 30, 2016
    Florida USA

5. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 9, 2008
    Detroit
    Water, water, and more water .

Cat 1 or 2 or 3 means nothing.

Stay safe everybody !

dan1952 and uriah1 like this.

6. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Friend of Leo's

Oct 21, 2014
    Florida
    Sent up some prayers for everyone up there. God be with you. Stay safe.

viccortes285 likes this.

7. tery

tery Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Sep 21, 2012
    Tennessee
    Rescues are underway for many that did not evacuate - we wish them well .

El Tele Lobo likes this.

8. Ira7

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    I have an FB friend who's near Wilmington, and says it looks like she's going to be okay.

Totally clueless that she's only seen 5% of the rain and wind that's still to come over the next few days.

9. SixStringSlinger

SixStringSlinger Tele-Afflicted

May 21, 2006
    SPace
    Indeed. The categories are based solely on sustained wind speeds, so they do mean something important, but they're hardly the whole story.

10. viccortes285

viccortes285 Tele-Holic

Jan 14, 2017
    Phoenix
    Please stay safe and good shelter

El Tele Lobo likes this.

11. geoff_in_nc

geoff_in_nc Tele-Afflicted

Jul 9, 2007
    "Raleigh-wood"
    Checking in from Fayetteville. Windy and rainy so far but they say the REAL storm will hit us near noon today.

We rode out Matthew a couple years ago when we got about 15" of rain in 24 hrs and the water never really approached the house's foundation even though we're flat as a pancake here. So we're Hoping for the best. It's going to be a long 48 hrs.

drlucky and tery like this.

12. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Aug 17, 2012
    Seattle
    People tend to only see want they want to believe to be true, and often cannot even conceptualize anything beyond that until they have actually experienced it firsthand. And THEN, after the fact, they're the ones all freaked out about how they "couldn't believe that it could ever happen".

13. Johnson johnson

Johnson johnson Tele-Holic

Dec 30, 2016
    Memphis
    It's the folks who don't/won't evacuate when given plenty of notice that I find most displeasing. I had a good friend who was a first responder who died trying to save people to stubborn to save themselves.
    Sorry for the minor rant but it's just plain selfish.

ebb soul and drlucky like this.

14. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Aug 17, 2012
    Seattle
    When I was a kid, my mom warned me not to touch the hot stove. Once. When, at a later date, I ignored the prior warning and burned myself, the first thing she had to say was “That’s what you get for ignoring my warning.” That was the beginning of my education in accountability. I say let anybody who ignores a warning burn their hands and let that lesson sink in. Nobody should ever have to risk their life because someone else was too stubborn to listen to critical warnings.

15. dswo

dswo Tele-Meister

May 1, 2016
    East Carolina
    We are not in a flood or evacuation area. Finished our preparations, and I was feeling ok yesterday until I saw a pine go down in the yard behind ours, in very moderate wind compared with what I knew was coming. My wife pointed out that it was dead, and no more trees have come down since then. But I'm staggered by the size of this storm. Our street has good drainage, so it's hard to judge what town is going to look like, or the surrounding countryside. Two years ago, when Matthew hit us, we had a couple days when things didn't seem so bad, but you knew the storm had also dumped water in the rivers upstream from us, and it was coming through us on the way to the sea.

tery likes this.

16. koen

koen Tele-Afflicted

May 19, 2007
    West of Morocco
    Some folks may not have had the means to evacuate.

17. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

I just know there's somebody on this board, who wants to know why they didn't just call Lyfft.

Uncanny how people ignore instructions as to who to call, how to obtain transportation out of the worst of the danger.

Although my all time favorite is giving a family the keys to my '94, all gassed up and ready to roll, but they changed their mind, stayed and let my car be inundated. That car was supposed to be safe, high in a parking structure with an amp and 2 guitars in it. Instead my generosity was rewarded with a sort of punch in the nose, all those things lost.

I'm tired of making excuses for people who have no sense and refuse to leave.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2018 at 8:40 PM
    Frodebro and tery like this.

18. tery

tery Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Sep 21, 2012
    Tennessee
    Often city busses , school busses , and even trains are utilized for mass evacuation as a public service .

viccortes285 likes this.

19. Ira7

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    No good deed goes unpunished.

But your generosity shouldn’t come with conditions.

viccortes285 likes this.

20. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

I know, I know.

Frankly, this bit of trivia didn't bother me until about a year ago. The old me didn't sweat it. But you see a guitar like you used to have, or see a car just like the one you lost, and it serves as a sort of inflection point for a whole bunch of almost-dids and should haves. I do need to knock it off.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.