Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Hope you guys are getting ready for Florence. Cat 4 or 5

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Ira7, Sep 10, 2018.

1. stxrus

stxrus Friend of Leo's

May 25, 2007
    St. Croix, USVI
    I know a thing or two about hurricanes and they can be very unpredictable and the storm is much more than just the eye

If I lived in the path of Florence I’d secure my property & evacuate. To me that’s a no brainer.

I consider myself a realist and not an alarmist but everything is pointing to this being devastating. Not only the wind & surge but torrential rains after landfall.

2. dkmw

dkmw Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Mar 30, 2016
    Florida USA
    As serious as this situation is, it doesn't hurt to have a little levity.

Theme song of the Keys - caution for language if needed:

3. dkmw

Mar 30, 2016
    Florida USA
    If you’re tired of the gee-whiz TV talking heads, and would like to get a nice calm evaluation, go here and watch/listen to Levi Cowan’s vid. His site also has a great menu of additional resources.

https://www.tropicaltidbits.com/

For specific advisories for your area, listen to local or state governments.

hurricanes.gov will get you all the output of the National Hurricane Center, which is where the blabbering TV guys are getting their info. You don’t need their interpretations.

4. SixStringSlinger

SixStringSlinger Tele-Afflicted

May 21, 2006
    SPace
    Seriously. At most they're good for 5 minutes at a time every 3 hours (when new advisories come out). Any more will either desensitize you or freak you out.

5. Bluey

Bluey TDPRI Member

May 15, 2018
    Australia
    I’ve lived in the tropics for many years and have been through a lot of cyclones ( Hurricane southern hemisphere ) . 19 out of 20 are more of a inconvenience if anything so you tend to get very complacent, but, eventually you get caught by surprise. , not the worst it can get as I’ve seen a 5km section of a islands after one passed stripped of all trees, vegetation, soil & sand down to bare rock with large sections of coral reef blown hundreds of metres inland. Now "that's' definitely something you don’t want to get caught in. Best to take a weeks holiday somewhere else.
    One thing you notice, that not many realise, is that the designated wind speed is not accurate as they seem to contain mini tornadoes resulting in things like two homes damaged 1 home gone.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2018
    tery and Stubee like this.

6. Ricky D.

Ricky D. Poster Extraordinaire

Oct 22, 2006
    Raleigh, North Carolina
    True story from 45 years ago...

Three buddies of mine are camping at the Hatteras National Seashore, just off the beach. There's a hurricane coming, but being young, stupid, and maybe a little high, they decide they'll just stick around and see how it goes.

Sheriff pulls up, walks over to the site, and says, "Boys, we got an evacuation order. You all need to pack up and leave the island now." My buddies didn't want to leave, so they pushed back a little.

Sheriff didn't take the bait, "Suit yourselves. Got no time to trifle with you. Give me your names, and name and phone number for your next of kin. Now use this marker and write your social on your arm so we can identify you." My buddies decided they'd just leave. :)

7. Recce

Recce Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

May 3, 2016
    Northern Alabama
    They are highly trained hot chick meteorologist.

I have been and will remain a sexist pig thank you just the same.

8. Bluey

Bluey TDPRI Member

May 15, 2018
    Australia
    Humans go off models that nature creates.

9. dkmw

Mar 30, 2016
    Florida USA

10. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

tery likes this.

11. tery

tery Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Sep 21, 2012
    Tennessee
    In Chattanooga , Tennessee the TVA dam gates are open to dump water before the heavy rain comes , motels are close to sold out , the airport is filling up with relocated military fighter jets .

Last edited: Sep 13, 2018 at 10:13 AM
    uriah1 likes this.

12. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

I see it's been downgraded to a Category 2 hurricane. I hope people don't shrug it off because of that -- the storm surge and the heavy rains are still there, as well as wind gusts. The two hurricanes that hit Puerto Rico ended up killing nearly as many people as 9/11.

13. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

Yeah, with so much of western North Carolina draining to the Gulf of Mexico, it makes great sense to send the stored water west and get it out of the way. Then when the skies open, the reservoirs will refill. Having someplace for relief workers to stage tends to end up being real important. Given how soaked everything is up in Maryland and Pennsylvania, West Virginia, this means western North Carolina and adjacent eastern Tennessee will be working hard for the next month or so, and then some parts of Northcentral North Carolina and Virginia can step up.

I love it when those fighter jets come through at low altitude, through the gap in the mountains near The Cabin. Scores and scores of passes; I never get tired of it.

tery likes this.

14. Bortyeast

Bortyeast Tele-Holic

Dec 9, 2012
    Televille
    Helicopters overhead yesterday moving military stuff out. I'm staying

getbent likes this.

15. stratoman1

stratoman1 Tele-Afflicted

Nov 12, 2016
    Virginia Beach, Va
    I'm in Va. Beach. A couple of days ago it looked like we were going to get a nice chunk of it. But it stayed south so good for us but I have friends in Wilmington, Leland and Shallots. Not so good for them. I'm working on the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel, they made us remove our equipment yesterday

16. stxrus

stxrus Friend of Leo's

May 25, 2007
    St. Croix, USVI
    A cat2 is still a major storm. The storm surge can be a bigger killer than the wind. My greatest concern is the rain associated with this storm & already saturated ground.

17. SixStringSlinger

SixStringSlinger Tele-Afflicted

May 21, 2006
    SPace
    A hurricane is a major storm, period. People who say "Well it's only a category 1" may as well say "Well it's only one A-bomb". It's less bad than something more bad would be, but it's still bad.

Good point about the different aspects of a hurricane. Whatever the category, the wind, storm surge, rain and other characteristics vary from storm to storm, even within the same category.

18. chemobrain

chemobrain Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Nov 5, 2016
    oakland ca.
    I hope that everyone is in a safe place, safe from the rising seas , winds and flooding.
    my prayers go out to you all.

19. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

A Cat 2 storm with a Cat 4-5 storm surge. Once this amount of water is perturbed and put in motion by intense wind, it needs a lot of time to dissipate.

In Katrina, the winds had died down a bit by the main landfall, Category fell substantially, but the storm surge didn't know or care. It still came in and took us apart. I say it died down a bit, but I still remember virtually every big metal billboard along I-10, Harrison and Hancock Counties, was smashed. For miles and miles. That's not that close to the water.

+

Duration is going to be a major element for Florence. I picture kayaking a river with a bunch of Class IV+ rapids, at lower water and there's time for recovery between each, before dealing with the next rapid. It is substantially, no, exponentially harder when for whatever reason the Class IV+ rapids all flow one, directly into the next. That's why my buddy Richard died at Jacob's Ladder on the North Fork of the Payette. Everything is all packed together and the punches just keep coming and coming. And you're down but the punches continue on and on and on.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2018 at 2:30 PM
    drlucky and tery like this.

20. tery

tery Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Sep 21, 2012
    Tennessee
    One state has announced that it will not evacuate 1,000 prisoners from one correctional facility or 650 prisoners from another correctional facility in the interest of public safety.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.