Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Hope you guys are getting ready for Florence. Cat 4 or 5

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Ira7, Sep 10, 2018.

1. djh22

djh22 Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Jan 12, 2012
    VA
    The first hurricane and storm surge watches for the southeastern U.S. coast will likely be issued Tuesday morning, according to the National Hurricane Center.

As of late Monday afternoon, Florence was centered more than 1,100 miles east-southeast of Cape Fear, North Carolina, moving west-northwestward. Data from a NOAA Hurricane Hunter aircraft indicated Florence's maximum sustained winds had increased to 140 mph late Monday afternoon.

All on/near the coast - please be safe and please be smart

2. schmee

schmee Friend of Leo's

Jun 2, 2003
    northwest
    Yeah, if you are near the coast this looks to be a bad one...

3. SixStringSlinger

SixStringSlinger Tele-Afflicted

May 21, 2006
    SPace
    I don't remember the specific effects I felt from Katrina, probably because what the gulf coast got made it pale by comparison. I do remember the destruction in New Orleans being the first thing I saw on TV after we got power back, so I guess that'll tell you something about what we experienced. It's never fun, but barely a drop in the bucket compared to what other folks got later.

And it really was a crazy year. I was in my senior year of high school and between all the storms we missed something like a month of school.

I just want to reiterate that none of this chit-chat should make any hurricane newbies think these storms are in any way not a huge deal (and, again, when it comes to cat. 4's and 5's damn near everyone is a newbie). I can't speak for Ira7 but I mostly grew up in a post-Andrew South Florida (Hurricane Andrew basically wrote hurricane resistance into building codes down here) and my family spent the storm in a severely over-built apartment complex over 20 miles from the hardest hit areas.

Look for pictures of Andrew aftermath in areas like Homestead, Cutler Ridge and Country Walk. That's what I fear for areas that are not as used to hurricanes in the first place, now facing a possible cat. 4 or 5.

Ira7 likes this.
  4. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

Hugo was a son of a gun. That was really hard on Charleston. They did a nice job of recovering, but I knew a couple of people who were dispersed and they clearly needed some time to recover. And then there was 1999, very hard on Eastern North Carolina. A vast sea of hog carcasses; not a thing you can shrug off easily. My buddy came up to West Virginia from there, ostensibly to kayak the Gauley Release with us but mostly we had to make sure he didn't get alcohol toxicity. He ended up going and staying with friends in Columbus, Ohio the rest of the year.

Gotta find out if my aunt in Wilmington (in her 80s) has left as she indicated she would.

5. stxrus

stxrus Friend of Leo's

May 25, 2007
    St. Croix, USVI
    People don’t remember or know that Hugo ravaged St Croix for over eight hours. It sat over the island and basically didn’t move. The anemometer at the airport disintegrated at 241. I’ve see color photos after the storm that look like sepia photos of Europe after WWII.

Nonetheless, anyone in the path of this storm should evacuate if you can. A cat 3 is destructive but a cat 4-5 is catastrophic.

Paul in Colorado likes this.
  6. Ira7

Ira7 Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    I moved to Coral Springs from NYC in 1994, right after Andrew.

I was offered a job with an economic development magazine as promotion director, and our main clients were Homestead and Perrine-Cutler Ridge, which received millions in Federal dollars to help promote investment in the devastated areas.

7. Ira7

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Gonna watch The Weather Channel now, because the major networks aren't onto this 24/7 yet.

8. Nickfl

Nickfl Tele-Afflicted

May 24, 2016
    Florida
    For those of you interested in obsessively tracking hurricane season, this: http://trackthetropics.com/ is my go to info source. Cable news is silly and the NHC, limits forcasts to 5 days out and goes out of its way to keep from confusing the public with too much info. If you want to see all the computer models etc, this will scratch that itch...

For those of you in the path, get out now. As a lifelong Floridian, my rule of thumb is never stay for anything past Cat 1, 2 at the most. Past that, even if you survive, you won't want to be there.

9. Ira7

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    I like the hot chicks on The Weather Channel.

uriah1 and 2blue2 like this.
  10. dkmw

dkmw Friend of Leo's

Mar 30, 2016
    Florida USA
    Those are highly trained meteorologists, you sexist pig:):lol:

aerhed, Ira7, brbadg and 2 others like this.
  11. 2blue2

2blue2 Friend of Leo's

Jul 20, 2013
    Island of Oahu
    Be Safe! Were sending good vibes your way.

12. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Nov 6, 2014
    kamloops bc
    you guys be safe and thats an order!, I just got over the thing in Hawaii with my sister , Be cautious , be prepared , be safe!

13. Teleguy61

Teleguy61 Friend of Leo's

Coming ashore, and becoming stationary.
    20-30 inches of rain.
    Not good.
    Be careful, friends.

14. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

What makes this even more chilling is, the rivers of the region are not dry as they might be this time of year. Most rivers in Pennsylvania are maxed out and adjacent states, lesser amounts of the same thing. I just noticed that a small stream, maybe 15 miles from The Cabin, that cows normally walk across and just about drink dry, contains right now enough water to give you a nice bouncy ride down a river the size of the Nantahala, Locust Fork, Tellico or Watauga. That's simply not supposed to be High right now. When the storm arrives and the rain begins, there's noplace for runoff to go - flooding is basically already fact:

https://waterdata.usgs.gov/nc/nwis/uv?site_no=03550000

I can only hope that TVA and Duke Power and everyone else, is dumping water towards the Ohio and Tennessee basins. I have no idea what those on the Seaboard side of the watershed divide are supposed to do. They're just screwed.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2018
  15. Redheadlvr

Redheadlvr TDPRI Member

Aug 16, 2018
    Greer,SC
    Hugo was baadd. Remnants of Hugo tore up areas around Charlotte,NC. A tornado went down a road and tore up houses 1/2 mile from where we lived in Greer,SC. Some areas around Charleston never really recovered fully. Some of the experts think it could be another Hugo. We're praying Florence won't be.
    Our "forth daughter" and her family live near Myrtle Beachl. They're staying.

16. RoscoeElegante

RoscoeElegante Friend of Leo's

Feb 19, 2015
    TooFarFromCanada
    Up in the mountains of SW Virginia, we're hearing now that maybe up to 24" of rain can be expected if it stalls out inland. Haven't been through that before, and our ground is already saturated, with more rain expected from local storms before the 'cane even arrives.

So what's the to-be-stocked list here?
    More batteries if trees take down power lines?
    Ice, to slow the frozen food's thaw, and keep milk for the kids?
    Any possibility water system would go down? It's drawn from nearby river. Should we stockpile that, too?
    We're in town, 3/4 of a mile from the power plant, but, still.

Thanks, survivors, for your tips. My dad went through Andrew in S. Florida and watched his roof lift off above him--he said, "It was very interesting, if eerie"--but flooding and downed trees are our dangers here.

17. raysachs

raysachs Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

May 21, 2017
    Near Philly
    My daughter lives about a half mile from the beach in Carolina Beach, which is outside of Wilmington, just south of Wrightsville. They just bought a condo, new construction, and I hope the hell they have some place to go back to. And their jobs and, hell, places of employment are still there. She works on Bald Head Island, just a little further south. To the extent Carolina Beach and Kure Beach are still there after this, Bald Head seriously might not be.

They’re heading to her boyfriend’s folks place, which is a couple hours inland in Roanoke Rapids. They’re gonna get a hell of a storm there too and the storm surge will likely go all the way up the Roanoke River, and his folks are only a few blocks from the river but I believe they’re on high enough ground that they should be fine. I told them if they have any doubts, the bunch of em should come up to our place in the Philly area. We’ll have a hell of a rain out of this, but we’re high enough that if we flood, Noah’d better be warming up the ark...

We rent an oceanfront condo down there (Kure Beach, adjacent to Carolina Beach just to the south) for a few months every winter when off-season rentals are really cheap and it tends to be a lot nicer than the Philly area. I’ll be really surprised if that place is standing after this, IF the storm lands a direct hit. It already seems to be a place not long for this world in the days of acellerating climate change. This could be the event that takes it out. I’m glad we’re just renters. My daughter is who I’m worried about - they just bought on the highest point on that island, but it’s only about 12-15 feet above sea level and the surge could easily get that high, and if it doesn’t, the winds could be catastrophic. I just hope they have a place, and lives, to go back to. I’m not too worried about their immediate safety - they should be far enough inland to ride it out. I just hope they have something to go back to.

18. stxrus

stxrus Friend of Leo's

May 25, 2007
    St. Croix, USVI
    Batteries, water, non perishable foods, ice packs (better than ice bags), a generator (minimum 2K), chainsaw, gas, flashlights, portable radio, tarps, are a good start

19. Ira7

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    We have a few of those large Extreme coolers, and they're amazing. They keep ice frozen for like a week.

However, in lieu of buying ice...which we usually do anyway...we freeze water bottles, a lot of them. This serves double duty to supply you with cold water AND keep the coolers cold.

However, although we stock up on doomsday canned stuff, the last thing I want to eat if the power goes out is tuna and canned string beans. I want STEAK, shrimp, ribs, etc., so we also buy a lot of meats, hot dogs, chicken. and freeze 'em. They'll stay frozen for the week, and again, keep the coolers cold.

For cooking in a power outage (no natural gas here), we have charcoal and propane grills, plus a propane camping stove. (Nothing tastes better than sausage and eggs on the camping stove the morning after a hurricane!)

For power for TV/Blu-Ray, I use a DC-AC inverter off my car's battery. Phones, and pads can usually by charged inside the car. Lights, we just improvise. And believe me, when the power goes out, you need the entertainment or you'll go crazy. Your cable service usually goes out, so Blu-Rays are the go to. Also, if your cell service is okay, you can use your phone as a personal hot spot (is that what they call it?), and link your pad to it. I used this to get Netflix and YouTube.

Yeah, we gotta get a generator, but the good, powerful ones are really expensive, use a lot of gas, and we don't have the space to store one.

RoscoeElegante likes this.
  20. TC6969

TC6969 Friend of Leo's

Dec 28, 2007
    Wimauma Florida
    LISTEN TO THIS GUY!

Florida folks know as much about hurricanes as meteorologists do, and this is a tight well organized storm with a very distinct eye.

Go ahead and make jokes and throw your hurricane parties if you want to, but trust me, this one is BAD JUJU!

Ricky D. likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.