Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Hope you guys are getting ready for Florence. Cat 4 or 5

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Ira7, Sep 10, 2018.

1. Ira7

Ira7 Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Looks like a bad one guys, and I hope those of you in the affected areas are getting out now if under the evacuation order.

And if not on the coast, stock the hell up and batten down the hatches.

2. Preacher

Preacher Friend of Leo's

Apr 17, 2007
    Big D
    Man Ira this seems like an annual thing for you.

Brother just moved from Tequest (Jupiter area) last year after the last cane came through back to Cali.

He thought everything was good and had a huge fire about a half mile from his backyard.

Batten down the hatches! Be safe!

viccortes285 likes this.

3. viccortes285

viccortes285 Tele-Holic

Jan 14, 2017
    Phoenix
    Take no chances stay safe, take a few days off.
    Florence sounds bad.

uriah1 likes this.

4. scrimmer

scrimmer Tele-Holic

Dec 31, 2009
    North Carolina
    Ira7 likes this.

5. Ira7

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Well, yeah! It's almost annual!

This one won't touch us in Florida at all, but it's a wake-up call to start stocking up on water and the other supplies. September and October have been the most active months anyway, so why wait until the last minute?

Never before have I heard of a mandatory evacuation of coastal areas so early in the track, and it's going to be chaos up there.

Nickadermis and brbadg like this.

6. Ira7

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Paul in Colorado and Nickadermis like this.

7. Bones

Bones Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Dec 31, 2005
    Luddite Island, NY
    Fake news perpetrated by the milk and bread lobby.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2018

8. Ira7

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    HAH!

You forgot plywood.

Nickadermis likes this.

9. JustStartingOut

JustStartingOut Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

I have a sister in Wrightsville Beach and one in Raleigh, not sure Raleigh is far enough away! She has a lot of older big trees and saturated land, wind and more rain isn't going to do anything good. The Wrightsville Beach sister has a hotel reservation...in Wilmington. That doesn't sound like a good plan at all, I just don't see the logic.

10. Bones

Bones Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Dec 31, 2005
    Luddite Island, NY
    true

11. Ira7

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Wilmington isn't under mandatory evacuation?

I'm not familiar with the geography.

12. JustStartingOut

JustStartingOut Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

Not yet, but I'm sure it will be. I just saw all of the SC coast was so NC can't be too far behind. (Wilmington NC, not SC...it's the same county that she lives in so yeah)

13. SixStringSlinger

SixStringSlinger Tele-Afflicted

May 21, 2006
    SPace
    As a lifetime South Floridian, I just want to add my two cents and say that hurricanes are NO F-ING JOKE. "Overestimating" them (as though that were possible) leaves you with extra water and batteries. Underestimating them leaves you dead. Ultimately you cannot do much against them (especially not a few days before expected landfall). You're presence will not save your property.

I don't mean to exaggerate, because hurricanes are survivable in structures and towns/cities/states that are used to them. But South Florida fits that to a T, and look at the damage Irma did last year. Unless I'm very much mistaken, the area expected to get hit by Florence is not experienced/prepared at the same level, and NO ONE is used to Category 5 hurricanes. Keep in mind that it's not only a question of the storm itself, but of the aftermath.

Good luck, everyone. I'm about as used to hurricanes as a person can be (I've been through Andrew, Katrina (and the other 2 or 3 that year), Irma, others in between I don't even remember), and even I get uptight when one is on its way.

JustABluesGuy, Stubee and Ira7 like this.

14. Big_Bend

Big_Bend Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 19, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Houston still hasn't recovered from Hurricane Harvey which hit August 2017. Big Cat 4/5 storms can come ashore and do tremendous damage. My sister still hasn't been able to return to her house which was almost completely destroyed. Don't mess around with these big storms.

Good luck ya'll.. get prepared and stay safe...

15. Ira7

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Wilma, 2005.

Katrina missed us.

viccortes285 likes this.

16. SixStringSlinger

SixStringSlinger Tele-Afflicted

May 21, 2006
    SPace
    We certainly didn't get it as bad as the gulf coast did, but she nicked us.

upload_2018-9-10_16-36-55.png

I remember Wilma, as well. There was also a Rita that year.

viccortes285 likes this.

17. Ira7

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    I don’t remember Katrina affecting me...I’m old and forget things...

But I do remember Katrina came first, and after seeing the devastation in NO, we went nuts preparing for Wilma.

I think that was the year that we had like 15 possibles heading our way

18. stxrus

stxrus Friend of Leo's

May 25, 2007
    St. Croix, USVI
    Yep, she looks like a bad one. Florence has been an interesting one to watch.
    If you are near her path it’s a good idea to secure as best you can & get inland. A cat 4 or 5 has catastrophic possibilities
    Positive thoughts & warm Caribbean mojo to all in Florence’s path

viccortes285 likes this.

19. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

I think you're onto something. All these baked products have been tasting weird lately. In mocking the wheat avoidance people, I think I overdosed on the stuff.

Does taste kinda plytastic.

Toto'sDad likes this.

20. dkmw

dkmw Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Mar 30, 2016
    Florida USA
    Earlier today I was thinking of starting a thread like this, so I'm glad someone did.

One thing that amazes me about this storm is how accurate the models have been. It has followed the script (so far). I won't relax here until it's achieved a latitude north of me, though. That should happen Wednesday.

Unfortunately, those models show it just about stopping after it makes landfall. That will produce serious flooding inland. So this isn't going to be just a coastal event.

About the only good thing I can see in the forecast is that the landfall and highest wind/surge are predicted to be in an area that is not populated to extreme density. Of course, that doesn't mean much to the people who do live there or have businesses on the coast.

A lot of the coastal Carolina homes are elevated on pilings, but they are mostly wood structures. One of the things we learned last year with Irma was that even some of the concrete fortresses on pilings around Summerland Key got torn up by a direct hit.

I just hope the predictions fall apart at the last minute and this one isn't as bad as it looks.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.