Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Honduran mahogany finished!

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by Tollehouse Twang, Nov 13, 2017.

1. Tollehouse Twang

Tollehouse Twang Tele-Meister

Jul 24, 2017
    Vista, ca
    Maybe some of you remember my post of my "scrap mahogany" tele...

Well this is the non scrap mahogany tele. This was built first but just finished it's Tru oil cure time. I left it sit for a month while I built other guitars.

I'm really impressed with tru oil. It feels incredible. Tru oiled the neck as well.

I've used Artec pickups for my last 2 builds and I'm quite pleased with them!

Thanks for viewing!

Attached Files:

ndcaster, nojazzhere, tigger and 11 others like this.

2. Brokenpick

Brokenpick Tele-Holic

Oct 29, 2008
    Dixie
    Nice!
    I like that look so much better than the dark brown, more solid color/less grain
    mahoganys you often see. (The Honduran thing, no doubt?)
    How heavy is it?

Tollehouse Twang likes this.

3. Tollehouse Twang

Jul 24, 2017
    Vista, ca
    Yeah that's what I really liked about this piece!!! I've seen a lot of boring mahogany but this piece pops! It shimmers with light and different angles. Top notch wood. It is quite heavy tho! It's super dense. Right in the LP weight class. Nothing crazy

4. CapnCrunch

CapnCrunch Friend of Leo's

Jan 7, 2011
    Washington, USA
    Did you fill the grain before applying tru Oil?

5. Tollehouse Twang

Jul 24, 2017
    Vista, ca
    I did, but it didn't fill 100%

6. CapnCrunch

Jan 7, 2011
    Washington, USA
    What did you use for grain filler? I've built instruments as well as quite a few pieces of furniture and boxes out of Honduras. I've got to the place where I hate grain filling, so I have avoided mahogany for a while.

I have a piece of exceptional Honduras that is causing me to start to plan a Les Paul/PRS style build that will yield a 6 to 7 pound LP with no chambering. I have enough for 2 bodies and 3 or 4 necks. Just curious what others are using for grain filling these days. I've had the best luck with solvent based fillers, but they're messy, and stink. I really don't enjoy the filling process.

Your Tele body looks really nice. Did you wet sand it, or buff it?

7. Tollehouse Twang

Jul 24, 2017
    Vista, ca
    I used 5 minutes epoxy! I had a guy frown on me for doing it. I guess it's unconventional tonuse with Tru oil? I had ZERO problems with it! There's some guys showing the process on you tube. (Epoxy grain filler) Mostly acoustics but you'll get the idea. I you don't right the sanding can be minimal. I would encourage a little bit longer working time than 5 minutes epoxy but that's what I had.

With the tru oil I we sanded once after about 10 coats and that was a mistake! It made a ton more work and more coats. And, they coats are so thin there's no need to level as you go as long as your body is truly flat.

After about 20 coats I polished with mcguires #7 and done! Something a little more aggressive would have been good. I had one witness line that the polish wouldn't take care of. But, I'm not concerned about it.

Btw, there's no better feeling finish than a polished Tru oil! It's so slick and smooth

DrASATele and ndcaster like this.

8. Duggo

Duggo TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

Jul 8, 2017
    Mill City, Oregon
    Nicely done!

9. CapnCrunch

Jan 7, 2011
    Washington, USA
    I've finished a couple of necks with tru oil. They're nice, but a lot of work. I doubt I'll ever do a body in tru oil, but may do another neck or two. I've had good luck knocking of nubs, bumps, and irregularities with 0000 steel wool between every second or third coat. If you like the feel of Tru Oil, try applying fine paste wax with 0000 steel wool after your final coat. Rub it on hard and let it dry. Then buff it off with clean cotton rags. No need to sand. You end up with a beautiful satin finish that is just incredible to touch.

2blue2 and Tollehouse Twang like this.

10. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx

11. noah330

noah330 Tele-Afflicted

Feb 10, 2009
    Maryland

12. Macrogats

Macrogats Tele-Holic

May 15, 2017
    Auckland, New Zealand

13. 2blue2

2blue2 Tele-Afflicted

Jul 20, 2013
    Island of Oahu
    I'm liking this. Is it Honduran?

14. Tollehouse Twang

Jul 24, 2017
    Vista, ca
    Yes, beautiful Honduran!

15. DrASATele

DrASATele Poster Extraordinaire

Jul 6, 2012
    North of Boston
    I too use 5 minute Epoxy under TO on a body, came out awesome. It is a lot of work but the end result is amazing. That guitar rocks, nicely done!

16. Tollehouse Twang

Jul 24, 2017
    Vista, ca
    Thanks! That means a lot. I ran into a lot of your posts in my research I ran into a lot of your guitars in my research of building my first tele. So thanks for that!

DrASATele likes this.

17. Tollehouse Twang

Jul 24, 2017
    Vista, ca
    Just finished up an old growth Cherry tele. I'll post pics when I get home today!

18. DrASATele

DrASATele Poster Extraordinaire

Jul 6, 2012
    North of Boston
    All those unfinished projects! I try my best to spread what works for me around in hopes it benefits others. At the very least if only to spread the words of the guys who came before me.

Oh, I love Cherry guitars!
    Looking forward to it.

Have you gotten into reclaimed woods yet? IMHO there just a blast to work with.

I just noticed you are from Vista, my friend Roger is out that way. I have builds in progress for his daughter and son.

19. hemingway

hemingway Friend of Leo's

Mar 14, 2012
    London, UK
    The grain looks very like ash

20. Tollehouse Twang

Jul 24, 2017
    Vista, ca
    Well it definitely helped me! Yeah, I'm just getting started building but southern California is a great place to be a guitar player/builder! I've made a lot of really solid connections with some great players and builders. I play on the church band with the infamous Marty Bell. One of the best guitar finishers in the world I'd say. Does a lot of custom shop fender stuff. He's gonna help me finish my next build (flame maple thinline) Rutter's is right down the road too. I haven't met him but he used to go to my church. He donated 2 guitars to the school there (tax write off! Haha) so I've got to noodle on those. Anyways, sorry for the long post. I slammed my morning coffee and played hooky from work haha.

Will post cherry pics within the hour!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.