Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Home studio recording

Discussion in 'Modeling Amps, Plugins and Apps' started by puddin, May 25, 2013.

1. puddin

puddin Tele-Meister

Apr 14, 2010
    Punta Gorda, florida
    Ran across this unit and wanting to build a small studio. I've done some reviews and there seems to have issues with the computer, the user or the unit itself. Any thoughts? Is there something better and more reliable money no object. I just want to do it right the first time. Thank's

http://line6.com/podstudiokb37/

2. onenotetom

onenotetom Tele-Afflicted

Jun 27, 2009
    Colbert, WA
    There are 2 parts to home recording in my opinion. The hardware interface and the software.

I would suggest researching the software first. Download their demo's and play with it a bit. My experience was that the software that myself and another player purchased was too complex for either of us to use.

3. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Aug 17, 2012
    Seattle
    If you really want to get serious about home recording and "do it right," that package would be essentially a "starter kit" that you would most likely outgrow sooner rather than later.

4. muronero

muronero Tele-Meister

Mar 24, 2011
    shanghai
    if you are on mac... i can suggest the apogee duet as audio interface.... paired with "logic".

the audio quality of the duet is stunning.

5. udoering

udoering Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Mar 31, 2013
    near Cologne, Germany
    I support that. I bought the KB 37 some years ago, because it united all I needed at that time, especially the midi-keyboard and the amp-modelling. The first thing I put aside was to record by amp-modelling as well as to process microphones with the built-in effects and preamps; it was much easier to do this in Cubase. Another reason to change was the limitations in the analog-to-digital-converter, which worked only with 16 khz, if I remember right. But I won´t complain, it worked.

The reason to get a new device was the limitations of inputs. Now I use a M-Audio C 600 (4 simultaniuos inputs + the digital one I don´t need), two headphone-outs with different mixes and so on. The C 600 is much more versatile.

I gave the KB 37 to my daughter und my son-in-law, who had problems to run it on a Mac and finally also bought an M-Audio device. Of course, this does not means that it can´t work on a Mac system, just my son-in-law couldn´t manage it.

My advice: if you don´t really need the amp-modelling, get yourself discrete devices that can be exchanged when your requirements increase or change.

6. noahcopeland

noahcopeland TDPRI Member

Feb 10, 2013
    OK

7. Cat MacKinnon

Cat MacKinnon Friend of Leo's

Nov 13, 2011
    Colorado
    the Line 6 stuff isn't bad (i still use a GuitarPort sometimes), but if you've got the money i'd suggest getting a better interface. most interfaces these days come with guitar-level inputs, and most modelling software will work with most any brand of interface. a lot of other units will have better audio converters and overall sound quality.

i personally like the Focusrite Scarlett series, the 2i2 is only $149 and the 2i4 is $199. the Avid/M-Audio interfaces are a solid value too, plus they come with a stripped-down version of ProTools if that's what you're interested in. FWIW, Avid owns M-Audio now, so i'm not entirely sure if there are any real quality differences in the hardware between the M-Audio and Avid-branded stuff.

i'd just make sure the interface has +48v phantom power (most do these days, even low cost ones), a hi-Z guitar input for use with modelling software, and USB 2.0 (USB 3.0 would be even better, but most interfaces don't support that speed yet, so you'll only get USB 2.0 speeds. still more than adequate for home use though.) FireWire has been surpassed by newer USB standards and is basically on the way out, so i don't think a FW interface would be a good investment.

if you need a keyboard controller for virtual synths and whatnot, there are tons of USB keyboard controllers in the $99 range. it just depends on how many octaves you want (usually 49, 61 or 88 keys) without having to press the octave up/down button, and whether or not you want extra features like LFO controllers, pads, and that sort of thing. most keyboard controllers basically do the same thing, so you don't need to spend a ton on one. unless they've got a bunch of extra assignable parameters, you can usually just plug the keyboard controller into a USB port and the computer will automatically recognize what it is, without even having to install extra driver software.

i had a 61-key M-Audio Keystation a long time ago, and it worked great. i think it only cost me about $99 or so. i really should get another keyboard controller one of these days, because entering each note by hand is a pain (although i'm REALLY fast at it!)

8. AirBagTester

AirBagTester Friend of Leo's

Nov 7, 2010
    Maryland
    That Line 6 thing looks neat, but why build a controller into an interface? Like Cat said, controllers are cheap. Cheap enough that you can even have 2 or 3 different kinds. I have an M-Audio Oxygen8 that seems to work with anything I plug it into!

Also, what are those 2 fancy lit meters for? Something about that gives me a "marketing appeal" vibe...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.