Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Home recording software

Discussion in 'Recording In Progress' started by cblguy, Nov 5, 2015.

1. cblguy

cblguy TDPRI Member

Mar 11, 2013
    mid tennessee
    I have a question; I finally got my home studio set up, and don't really like the Cubase LE software that came with my interface.. It is way more complicated than I like. What is the best user friendly software out there. a friend of mine that has his own studio says cakewalk is very easy to use. So before I go and buy another, I'd like to ask the folks here what they think
    Thanks
    Cblguy

2. johnny k

johnny k Tele-Afflicted

Jan 15, 2011
    France
    the only software i can use is audacity, i guess you can t do easier than it.

3. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

Aug 6, 2014
    UK

4. MrTwang

MrTwang Friend of Leo's

Feb 9, 2009
    London, England
    Reaper - brilliant bit of software. You can try out the full un-crippled version for a full 60 days and it's only $60 to buy including all updates for the current and next version (so that's from the current version, 5.04 up to 6.99).

There's a really helpful user forum and and bugs get sorted out quickly. You can suggest new features and if the author thinks it's a good idea, it'll be in one of the updates.

I've not found anything on it I can't do and it's rock solid. Doesn't hog resources on your computer either.

Download it and try it - what do you have to lose?

5. J-man

J-man Super Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

Apr 25, 2004
    North Wales
    Admin Post
    There is a learning curve to any DAW. Audacity is easy to use, but it also (from what I recall) lacks a ton of stuff versus other DAWs. If you just want to quickly and easily get some rough demos made, then Audacity is a good option. But for anything more I'd recommend picking a proper DAW and investing some time learning it, because the skills you learn will help you better mix/record music.
    My favourite DAW, mainly due to its great interface, is Logic.. But it's exclusive to OSX and I'm assuming you're running Windows. If that's the case, check Ableton Live. It has a good interface and lot's of good features, IMO.

6. ColonelPanic

ColonelPanic Tele-Meister

Oct 30, 2015
    Yorkshire, England.
    Personally, I use Adobe Audition, very easy to use. The only downside I've found is the pricing options, the latest updated version is subscription only. I have a CS6 license from school, so haven't considered upgrading.
    Really good piece of software if you're mixing tracks together. I've run Guitar Rig 5 inside is as well, and seems to work very well for post processed effects.

7. Alamo

Alamo Poster Extraordinaire

Nov 15, 2006
    Berlin, Germany
    Tracktion 4 is now for free and gets good reviews.
    I haven't had the time to try it myself yet but it's only 20 MB big and you don't have to install it. runs on Win, Linux and OSX.
    worth a peek, innit?

http://www.tracktion.com/

8. studio

studio Poster Extraordinaire

May 27, 2013
    California
    As mentioned above, Audacity is super simple.
    With it being super simple comes the fact that
    it's kinda stripped down version of a regular DAW
    that you will eventually venture into.

I use Sonar myself, which is a Cakewalk byproduct.

There are plenty of places to get yourself going though
    no matter what DAW you choose.

The Sonar nowadays is as sophisticated as any of the
    other muscle DAWs out there.

I've also heard a lot of good stuff about Reaper.
    It's funny, but once you get started with one
    brand, you kinda stay in that world because it
    becomes comfortable to you.

9. MDMachiavelli

MDMachiavelli Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Cubase has a learning curve for sure, but its a good solid DAW. My problem with Cubase is no support whatsoever.

I'm not sure about now, but the last time I used it they let you know up front there would be no support whatsoever except a forum.

I now use Logic Pro X and love it.

10. Steve 78

Steve 78 Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Oct 27, 2015
    Melbourne, Austraila
    +1 for Reaper, simply because you can try it for free and if you decide to keep using it then the license fee is reasonable.

11. Mbechmann

Mbechmann Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Jan 18, 2013
    Grindsted, Denmark
    I use both Reaper and Audacity - mostly Audacity. Cant go wrong with those 2.

12. therealfindo

therealfindo Tele-Holic

Jun 26, 2012
    Germany

13. clintj

clintj Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2015
    Idaho
    Reaper. Fairly quick to learn (or Google how to use), cheap, and plenty powerful. It actually took me longer to get my interface to talk to it smoothly than to learn how to edit recorded material.

14. DMAND

DMAND Tele-Meister

Nov 10, 2010
    Luckytown - MA

15. jvin248

jvin248 Friend of Leo's

Apr 18, 2014
    Near Detroit, MI

Audacity and you can get the additional plugins for all kinds of effects. There are some other DAWs, amp sims, and drum machines, available for free if you are inclined to the linux side (ubuntustudio). You can use it as a LiveDVD where you boot it up, have a working audio studio, save work to external flash/HDD drive, then remove the disk and back to your regular machine. The ubuntustudio system developers have worked on reducing/eliminating latency so if you find a problem with your rig running recordings then ubuntustudio might be a more worthwhile investigation.

Audacity should be your first stop though.

16. Coach56

Coach56 One of the Boys

Aug 16, 2013
    Oak Park, IL
    I've been with Cakewalk forever, long before it's product was called Sonar. Having said that so many people love Reaper that I would definitely look at that if I was starting out.

A couple of questions.
    Do you have aspirations of recording at a pro level?
    Mac or PC?
    Budget?

There are products that address each of the above. I believe ProTools is still the gold standard, but is expensive and has a big learning curve, etc.

-H

17. BartS

BartS Friend of Leo's

Feb 18, 2013
    St. louis MO
    Audacity is great to start. Eventually you will want to learn a different DAW. I prefer ardour. It has to much stuff for me though and would like a simplified ardour personally.

Audacity is great for a lot of things though. Big plus for audacity is the sound. It's great. Normally after I record and mixdown if don't need to make changes I just call that the master. If I do need to make changes I run it in audacity make my changes out of the box on my mixing console then record back to audacity. Reason being is it sounds best for this and it is the simplest, easiest way to do this.

18. Wrong-Note Rod

Wrong-Note Rod Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 4, 2009
    atlanta
    I use Sonar, which used to be Cakewalk. I like it, altho to me there was a learning curve, the same with any of these programs.

Audacity is easier but much more limited.

19. jpjr50

jpjr50 Tele-Holic

Sep 9, 2015
    South Florida
    Reaper 5.0 user here.

I record everyday at my house. Very easy to use and tons of YouTube video help. They will even provide free VST's that work well with Reaper.

I also use a FocusRite Scarlett 18i8 which came with $399 worth of VST software.

So much fun recording tracks at home. We have 4 microphones and even a vocal booth.

20. blowtorch

blowtorch Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

May 2, 2003
    Wisco
    Audacity here, free, so simple, and it works great and can do anything I need.

I heard so much great stuff about Reaper, so I downloaded it and couldn't even figure out how to do anything in it :D

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.