Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Home Playing Amps

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by DAKnox, May 17, 2018.

1. DAKnox

DAKnox Tele-Meister

Aug 23, 2014
    Scotland
    I've got a Vox AC15 for gigging but I live in a flat so it's really no use for home playing.

A couple of years ago, I got a Yamaha THR10C for noodling on the couch. I've barely used it as I never really took to it. The reviews of it are amazing so I'm sure it's the practice amp for others but I just couldn't gel with it.

I went into a shop today tried a Fender Mustang GT40 and thought it was great fun. I just messed around with the presets, but I can see the potential for spending some time dialling in some really good sounds. The screen helps so much, the ability to add stompboxes in whichever order you like and tweak the dials is great. Just seems to have so much more useful functionality. But all the user reviews of it are quite poor, so I don't know what they're hearing that I'm missing. The pro reviews are good though. Its cheaper than a Yamaha so most would see it as a trade down but it just seems better for me.

Any one got a GT40 can chip in how they feel about it after having it a while, or if you have a Yamaha THR to compare? Any other home playing options?

I love my valve amp for gigging, but for home use modelling would seem to be the way to go.

Jim Dep likes this.

2. SolidSteak

SolidSteak Friend of Leo's

Apr 27, 2016
    USA
    Other home playing options, especially if you like Vox:

Depending on your AC15 model, you might be able to disconnect the speaker from the AC15 and plug it into the MV50 AC with an extension speaker cable like this:

But OTOH kudos to the Mustang in that it probably has more options and sounds to experiment with. I've never used a Mustang, but I have used other modelers in the past and they are fun.

3-Chord-Genius likes this.

3. DAKnox

DAKnox Tele-Meister

Aug 23, 2014
    Scotland
    Cool looking little heads! They do sound "Voxy".

4. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Tele-Afflicted

Feb 11, 2006
    Near Athens GA USA
    A few ways I've done this.

A modeling unit (POD, Korg, DigiTech) headphone out into a speaker system. I've done this with a boombox, computer gaming speakers and, the best results, a mini mixing board with a set of stage monitors.

Sansamp into my Peavey Bandit's clean channel with the volume set to almost zero.

Hotone nano heads into their matching tiny cabinet or acting as the preamp on the Bandit.

Vox Mini. Good tones and very portable. Picked it over the Boss Katana because of the aux input.

I tried the Mustang but I didn't care for the presets and thought it might be a bit fiddly to download patches.

SolidSteak and DAKnox like this.

5. fendrguitplayr

fendrguitplayr Poster Extraordinaire

Oct 11, 2006
    Greater Boston
    Usually I just play acoustics at home but occasionally I use my MicroCube for electrics.

LuthRavin likes this.

6. Paul Jenkin

Paul Jenkin Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Aug 17, 2017
    Essex, UK
    Kit is sometimes criticised in relation to its competitors at the same price point. I'm not familiar with the GT40 but any negative comments could be down to there being a perceived better option for the same money, rather than anything inherently "wrong" with the amp.

Ultimately, if you like what you hear that's all that counts. I fell in love with a Dr Z Z-Drive and that is way too loud for my back bedroom but I've fitted a Dr Z Brake-Lite attenuator, so I've now got what I believe is called "Headroom and Bedroom".

Your call, obviously, but I wouldn't spend any more money just yet. You could get something that sounds different but would it actually be better than the GT40. See how you get on. You might grow to love it.

7. DAKnox

DAKnox Tele-Meister

Aug 23, 2014
    Scotland
    Yeah I think sometimes people judge things by a totally different criteria. I wouldnt expect a small practice amp to sound (or maybe more so feel) anything like my gigging amp really.

But I've got lazy and whenever I play electric at home (every day then!) I just play it totally unplugged, so I need a new home amp to re-inspire me!

8. SolidSteak

Apr 27, 2016
    USA
    I've done the SansAmp thing into the input of a clean combo amp too - great for getting a "full" sound at a low volume. A Bandit is great for this, and maybe a Vox AC15 set to mostly clean would work too.

9. LGOberean

LGOberean Poster Extraordinaire

May 31, 2008
    Corpus Christi, Texas

If you're after a modeling amp so you can "mess around with presets" and "add [built-in digital] stompboxes" then I got nuthin. :oops:

OTOH, for an amp that's (re)inspiring, great for home playing (and a lot more, really), find a Vox Pathfinder 15R and plug straight in. This bit of kit gives you Voxy chime, crunch, warm cleans, onboard real spring reverb (albeit weak due to the small tank) and tremolo. Headphone out, Line Out, Extension speaker out, footswitch. This amp is really useful and versatile. It's been discontinued for 5 years, so you'll have to hunt for one, but maybe they're more readily available used or NOS in Scotland/UK?

For something in current production, I'll second SolidSteak's recommendation of a Vox MV50. I've been GASing for the AC version. No built in effects, very simple and straightforward.

Gunny and SolidSteak like this.

10. Obsessed

Obsessed Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Nov 21, 2012
    Montana
    I agree with the few above mentioning a SansAmp type into a large clean combo at super low volume will give you the best low volume inspirational sound. I'm using amp emulation pedals instead of SansAmps now, but both serve well. There are a couple great pedals now that do the Vox thing.

bftfender and DAKnox like this.

11. DAKnox

DAKnox Tele-Meister

Aug 23, 2014
    Scotland
    Checked Gumtree and there's a Pathfinder locally, looks like a 15 but no reverb, it has tremolo though. Could be worth a look only £90.

SolidSteak likes this.

12. SolidSteak

Apr 27, 2016
    USA
    Pathfinder for sure! Man I wish they still made those. One of the best plug-and-play amps I ever tried.

LGOberean likes this.

13. LGOberean

LGOberean Poster Extraordinaire

May 31, 2008
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    I likes me some reverb, but if I didn't have a PF15R and a 15 sans reverb was available in good working order for the a good price, I'd probably go for it. Like I said, the reverb is weak due to the small tank in the 15R, so I generally crank it more than I do on other amps. Whereas I set reverb to 9-10 o'clock on my other amps, with the PF15R I generally set it around 1-2 o'clock. But it's perfect for almost everything I do; I plug into one (I've got 3) every day.

Gunny and DAKnox like this.

14. tery

tery Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Sep 21, 2012
    Tennessee
    I am a huge Roland Cube GX series fan !

Last edited: May 17, 2018

15. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Tele-Holic

Feb 18, 2018
    WV
    Call me undisciplined (I've been called much, much worse), but an amp's gotta inspire me to want to play it. So far, modeling amps, apps, software, etc... has not done it for me. Fortunately, I recently acquired some actual tube amps that sound great at low volumes. Made all the difference in the world for me. YMMV, etc...

dunehunter and bftfender like this.

16. Togman

Togman Tele-Afflicted

Apr 28, 2004
    Cambridgeshire, UK
    I would suggest a Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister. I've got the 18W 1x12 combo. It has a built in power soak so you can run at 18W, 5W or 1W. Ideal for use both on stage and at home.

DAKnox likes this.

17. fidopunk

fidopunk Tele-Meister

Nov 23, 2008
    Charleston, WV
    Am I allowed to post the link to the Sears/Silvertone I have in the classified section?

Regardless, little guys of that particular ilk sound great clean and driven and won't take your head off. For me at least, it's nice to have volume as the only knob to fiddle with-- forces me to play more and tinker less.

18. radiocaster

radiocaster Friend of Leo's

Aug 18, 2015
    europe
    I don't think putting that amp through the AC15 speaker is going to make it less loud. On the other hand, putting the AC15 through that 8" speaker cab will make it a lot less loud.

I have that cab. Sounds good with my Micro Terror, I don't own an MV50.

SolidSteak likes this.

19. scottser

scottser Tele-Afflicted

Mar 6, 2009
    dublin
    i've got a blackstar id core 10 for home noodling when the kids are asleep; can't fault it for the 50euro i bought if for.

DAKnox likes this.

20. SolidSteak

Apr 27, 2016
    USA
    Good point... a smaller combo with an 8" or 10" might be better than trying to squeeze a smaller amp through the Vox's 12" speaker.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.