Home Made Tele Jack Clip Tool

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by tdowns, Feb 12, 2011.

1. tagruvto

tagruvto TDPRI Member

:lol: No wonder I like this forum! This is a fantastic post.

THANK YOU!!!!

2. tdowns

tdowns Former Member

Not sure what to make of that comment. I was just trying a practical approach to try to improve on someone else's good idea. I'm sure I've made goofier things in the past and will in the future too.

You got the stuff too at home too?? Awesome.

Thanks!!

3. Vizcaster

Vizcaster Friend of Leo's

"But will it core a apple?"

Nice work once again, Terry.

4. 4string

4string Friend of Leo's

I hear ya on those "temporary spare tire" things. Only thing worse is nothing!

This is why there will always be an aftermarket. You can buy a real spare and an electrosocket jack cup to fix the original manufacturer's engineering or cost saving mistakes.

Very nice gizmo Terry! Specially the adjustable stop. Things that are already in the shop/garage make the best jigs/special tools of all. Thanks!

5. jb12string

jb12string Tele-Afflicted

Dragging up an older thread, but I had to say how great it was. Terry, you gave us the full size prints in PDF form, the control cavity protector and now an improved jack tool, you da man.

6. mastersja

mastersja TDPRI Member

I know this thread is almost three years old, but I just found it this week (Jan 2014) on a search regarding this Tele jack cup retainer clip problem.

A friend brought me his mid-80s Japanese Tele, in excellent + condition and wanted me to set it up for him as he's starting to play again after not playing for over five years.

The action is high and the jack / cup was loose.

It's not a vintage 50s Tele, but he wanted to keep the original parts anyway, so when I explained the inherent jack cup and retainer clip problem, he asked that I first try to fix it with the original cup.

I had these parts around the house, free is always good, and made this "tool" just as explained at the top of the page. (I didn't have an eye bolt, so went with the original plan).

I was able to replace the retainer clip with the "new" tool and it's in there rock solid on the very first try thanks to tdowns' detailed explanations / instructions.

I know, it's a natural reflex for everyone to chime in with 32 different comments saying "Electrosocket!" but I took it as a challenge to keep it as original as my friend asked me to, and this tool worked perfectly on the first try. I'll just sweetly suggest that if this assembly ever comes loose again, to strongly consider the Electrosocket since his isn't a high-dollar vintage instrument, even if it is a magnificent example of the 80s Japan Tele.

I put in a missing lock washer in there too, along with a drop of locktite on the back and front 1/4" jack nuts before tightening, and the whole assembly has no shake whatsoever.

But what I was able to get done is truly solid.

To tdowns, a heart-felt thank you.

7. KevinB

KevinB Doctor of Teleocity

Yes, this is an old thread but this question really does reappear every 6 months or so and I know have linked to it several times.

It was, and still is, a great idea.

8. telex76

telex76 Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Miss tdowns posting regularly like he use to. Great guy.

9. MickJaggersTele

MickJaggersTele Tele-Meister

Rutters Twisted Machined Jack Cup

May I suggest an even better appliance: The "Rutters Twisted Machined Jack Cup" which also comes in a shallow version.
    Yeah they are a little pricey, for this machined aluminum gem.
    But these are the best jack cups that I have found, functionally, for ease of installation and most important, esthetically.
    A touch of superglue is recommended when installing in a body.

http://ruttersguitars.com/Hot_Rod_Parts.html

[​IMG]

Nice tool, by the way!!

10. Billybob Dylan

Billybob Dylan Tele-Meister

Just wanted to say thanks for the pic and the instructions. I stopped by Home Depot last night and spent a whopping $6 on a bolt, three nuts, a washer and a hose clamp and made my own tool. Worked a treat! It did take me two gos at it because I set the depth gauge too deep the first time. Either that or the jack was just too short. Yeah, it was all the jack's fault.

While I was performing the repair it occurred to me - how come no one has made an Electrosocket type cup/socket that looks like the original Fender cup? Couldn't be that hard to do, could it? I'm sure there's plenty of players who'd like the reassurance of a jack that's not going to fail while keeping their Tele looking all original.

11. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

Yes, indeed.

So polite. I confess I felt some of us were in a bind, since we liked to do a little jousting with some members who liked to play hard, but Terry was so careful to be kind to everyone and just treated everyone with such grace. Hard to know how to "calibrate" your comment since you never knew who'd be reading it, Terry or the tough guys.

And, he knew everything I wished I knew! :D

12. Chris_Evans

Chris_Evans TDPRI Member

Any chance somebody could post a picture up of the original tool? I doesn't seem to load for me. Thanks

13. PeterUK

PeterUK Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Here ya go:

[​IMG]

:) Peter

14. PeterUK

PeterUK Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

15. Chris_Evans

Chris_Evans TDPRI Member

Fantastic! Thanks a lot.

Chris

16. BMor

BMor Tele-Meister

Clever.

B. M.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.