Home Depot Self Checkout Disappeared

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by D_W_PGH, Jan 9, 2019.

1. cj11l

cj11l Tele-Meister

Wife says to let self checkout person know, they can make sure you get the discount. She works at our local store part time

LutherBurger likes this.
  2. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

You've been here since Wednesday? Good start...

stevemc, Bones and otterhound like this.
  3. D_W_PGH

D_W_PGH Friend of Leo's

I could have you mixed up for someone else. Whatever it is, my point is that I haven't seen you making a comment slighting anyone - I was referring to someone else above at the outset if this exchange.

4. D_W_PGH

D_W_PGH Friend of Leo's

That brings another point. You may not think that self scanning posed a threat where you were compared to large item fraud (or perhaps it had more to do with loss prevention knowing you couldn't do anything about it, because, as you say, who is going to confront someone doing small time theft?)

My store is on the bus route out of the city here, not a convenient location for that, but it's only a couple of miles outside of city limits.

If those self checkouts are gone here, and it's not theft related, I have no clue what it would be. If HD made more money with them there, we wouldn't see checkers in their place now.

I get what you're saying about fraud returns, btw. about a decade ago, one of my relatives by marriage was talking about how his dad (these two are affluent) taught him to buy amazon items to return and exchange if he had something broken. He worked in a group that serviced devices. If he wanted something new, I guess he would take a broken device from his work group, then buy the same thing on amazon.

I hope they have done something to stop that by now, but I feel like even they would be a chicken and warn you only for fear of losing you as a customer for the future (and he is otherwise a loyal customer). They probably also stick those losses on the suppliers rather than on amazon.

5. memiller

memiller Tele-Meister

Any number of wannabe "good guys with guns" that fatted out of the military and failed out of police academy. I've worked with more than I care to think about, almost all of them permanently entrenched at the "Assistant Store Manager" level position.

Racists looking for an excuse to beat and detain someone.

Idiots.

All of which are massive liabilities, which is why it's drilled into a retail employee's head to just let it all go. It's not worth paying for these idiots to get shot, and it's also not worth it to pay for the legal fees fighting off lawsuits coming from people that have been profiled and harassed before being thrown face-down to the concrete.

If your store is low enough volume they may not need the self checkouts. If they reached a level of decrepit that would warrant replacement it may not be worth the expense for that location, especially with the way HD has decided to screw over everyone that works there and put more responsibility on floor employees to check people out.

It could be any number of reasons, but the point is that overall self-checkout is not going anywhere and will become more widespread sooner rather than later. Craig Menear's gotta get them last few stock points before bailing out of the company and ripping the cord on that golden 'chute.

6. D_W_PGH

D_W_PGH Friend of Leo's

Very high traffic location. McKnight road in Pittsburgh. Other than the obnoxious double scan, I never minded the self checkout when I had the right things and there was a line. If the pro desk is full, the garden is full and four regular lanes are full, then at least there's self checkout. Well, now it's "almost looks like self checkout" but takes a cashier to operate.

re: the confronting, if I were HD, I'd be worried about customers suing over rambo employees and rambo employees who get hurt then suing, too.

I never paid much attention to theft at HD. I'm sure people fast handed small items around self checkout. I have seen customers running out of sams....well, I guess they weren't customers. Sams has a whole gaggle of electronics right next to the front door. The old lady who draws happy faces on receipts for kids probably won't react until they're 100 feet into the parking lot.

memiller likes this.
  7. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Friend of Leo's

Thank you very much, and please thank your wife for me. I've never noticed a self checkout person, but I'll keep an eye out.

cj11l likes this.
  8. Rick330man

Rick330man Tele-Holic

You know, I don't think I've ever seen a Guitar Center or Sam Ash or any other musical instrument store with a self-checkout. It might be interesting. I can see it being efficient for the guy/gal who knows what parts (picks, strings, cables, tubes, etc.) he/she wants to buy. Guitars, amps and other big items would still have to be processed the old fashioned way.

9. memiller

memiller Tele-Meister

It's far too low volume to be worthwhile. Even at its busiest there aren't enough feet on the ground for the labor savings to overtake the initial expenditures and... well... Bain Capital.

10. JuneauMike

JuneauMike Friend of Leo's

Mocking "good guys with guns"? Fat racist cops? Bain Capital? Greedy corporate officers getting them last stock points? How bout ratcheting down the political drivel. This is a guitar forum.

moosie likes this.
  11. kafka

kafka Tele-Holic

... good to know.

LutherBurger and JuneauMike like this.
  12. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

I try to help -- that's what I do!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.