Home Depot Self Checkout Disappeared

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by D_W_PGH, Jan 9, 2019.

1. D_W_PGH

D_W_PGH Friend of Leo's

I take advantage of the same opportunity since I'm not a native and don't have more than a passing interest in the Steelers.

I don't know where you are, but in the north hills, we have a huge guy who wears a dress and high heels and walks the back aisles of different home depots. Makeup and all. That's always a bit of added entertainment, but I haven't seen him in a while. He only goes in off peak hours.

2. telleutelleme

telleutelleme Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I check out in the garden department cause that's where the good looking ladies are. If I am going to a store, any store there has to be a reward of some kind.:)

Nightclub Dwight likes this.
  3. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

Home Depot is a really dumb place for self checkout anyhow. If you buy spray paint, a cashier has to come over and verify you're over 18. If you're buying bulk hardware you need to navigate menus to find which bolts etc. are right. If you have lumber sold by length, a cashier needs to verify. I would say that half of the time that I have used Home Depot I have needed the services of a cashier for one reason or another anyhow, in fact in my local one there is always a cashier working the "self checkout" areas. So they probably don't save much in labor costs and they probably lose more to theft.

Those kiosks are great in airports and movie theaters, where there isn't much that can go wrong and a lot of time can be saved. I'm not a great fan of preserving jobs simply to preserve them, but in the case of retail self-checkout I think there is something to be said for having human beings sell you things.

D_W_PGH, boris bubbanov and ukepicker like this.
  4. D_W_PGH

D_W_PGH Friend of Leo's

I'd call the turpentine something you'd clean brushes with (boiled from stumps according to a friend of mine) and not something you'd chance using to make varnish, but most of the turpentine is sold like that. It probably still says "pure gum spirits" or something on it, but it doesn't smell like pine.

I've made varnish for the first time this year and had to go to an online wellness store to find real turpentine (it was expensive!), and subsequently found it on ebay from portugal for a reasonable price ($18 a pint). Anything sold in the US that's real turpentine is about $30-$35 a pint.

5. getbent

getbent Telefied Ad Free Member

umm yup.

otterhound and Nightclub Dwight like this.
  6. MattyK-USA

MattyK-USA Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

The "Just pick up the items and leave" with automatic charging already exists. Amazon Go stores are brick-and-mortar retail outlets that work just like that. You pick up what you want, and you are charged as you exit the store.

getbent and rcole_sooner like this.
  7. lewis

lewis Friend of Leo's

The grocery closest to our house doesn't staff their self-checkout area anymore. If anything goes wrong while you're scanning you have to wait until a cashier notices you and when they have time they'll come over and punch in their code. I feel bad for the cashiers who have to do double duty. The last two times I've tried to use the self check-out something would go wrong and nobody's around to help so I just left the items where they were and walked out. Needless to say I don't shop their anymore.

8. The Angle

The Angle Tele-Meister

I avoid self-checkout whenever possible, because the more it gets used, the stronger the store's argument for laying off people who work the cash registers. Let's not go looking for ways to hand over ALL our jobs to robots.

uriah1, Mase, Tonetele and 1 other person like this.
  9. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

Someone's got to program them robots. What about their jobs?

10. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

And for the reasons that Tfarny outlined, this simply won't work at a Home Depot unless you buy some things they sell there you should really be buying someplace else.

11. Bones

Bones Telefied Ad Free Member

If you hurt yourself checking yourself out, can you file a worker's comp claim?

Tonetele, rdwhitti and boris bubbanov like this.
  12. Tenderfoot

Tenderfoot Tele-Meister

For the most part it's a Turkey-shoot. To use or not to use is the question I ask myself when checking out. If self checkout is available and, I have items that I know will not require a "Please wait for assistance" to popup, I will use the self checkout every time. It beats having to wait for my turn at the register while customers (inline) ahead of me require a price check, manager override or trying to find a credit/debit card that's good/accepted.

13. memiller

memiller Tele-Meister

So how many people here complaining about self checkout lines have ever actually voiced this complaint? I don't mean here or to a store employee who really, truly, honestly does not even remotely care about you or your personal preferences I mean to the actual company through official customer service channels. Complaining to the store does nothing. The manager will smile a fake smile, tell you what you want to hear, then go back to doing some actual work. Nothing that goes upward through store employees matters. Period. The ONLY thing companies actually listen to is customer complaints. Not even your compliments matter. This is America, we run purely on hatred and loathing for one another so unless you're complaining you don't matter.

Welcome to the reality of Corporate America. Adjust your sights accordingly.

The people that work the cash registers will last MAYBE six months on average. It's a crap job that pays nothing and the few people that are there for any extended time are only there because they're going to school or in a position where they don't need an actual paycheck. Don't cry for them Argentina, they're not going to be there long anyway. It's much better to work towards implementing things that will actually change lives for the better than wring hands over deprecated jobs that aren't coming back.

Any comment as to how to implement those things is beyond the scope of this forum. :lol:

stratofortress and Boomhauer like this.
  14. Bones

Some of the checkout people at my local Home Depot have been there for over 6-7 years, some are single moms trying to keep their bills paid, some are retirees trying to supplement their income, some are recent immigrants trying to get a foothold on the American Dream.

You have a warped view of things, hopefully you will be replaced by a kiosk.

otterhound, Mase and The Angle like this.
  15. hrstrat57

hrstrat57 Tele-Afflicted

I wait in line everytime/ everywhere to give a human being a chance to have a job.

Even a crappy job.......

Pay the people, sometimes they even smile and make nice talk.

The machines are made to feed corporate greed. I hope they all go away......

uriah1, D_W_PGH, 5595bassman and 2 others like this.
  16. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Friend of Leo's

This is precisely why I don't use them. I don't need any new ways to make a fool of myself. I gots plenty already.

ukepicker likes this.
  17. memiller

memiller Tele-Meister

Thanks for proving my point while trying to be smug. Nobody that you mentioned needs that paycheck. They could easily be employed elsewhere, even within the store, and still make the same or better money. Keeping it at HD cashiers start at $9 an hour. The moment you step up (in my area) that goes up to $11. Learn a specialty department and that's $12.

If you have what you think is a cashier that's been there for years chances are they're either a head cashier, which is a higher paid position, or a front end supervisor.

My view is warped by reality. Maybe you should come join us sometime.

Thanks for also proving my point regarding hatred and loathing. I'm sorry your life is so terrible that wishing unemployment on people providing you with facts is where you are. It'll get better. Hang in there.

18. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

Don't like 'em, so I don't use 'em. I like people to have a job

uriah1, Bones and 5595bassman like this.
  19. Bones

Who are you to decide that other people can "easily be employed elsewhere" or that they "don't need that paycheck"? Last time I checked, most people that don't need paychecks aren't working at crappy jobs. You have absolutely no idea what the situation is with these people or what the local job market is like. Your assertions are absolutely insane and show how tenuous your grasp of reality is.

You are happy to dismiss these people and have them replaced by self-checkout and kiosks, yet you see yourself as irreplaceable and say that I am bring "hateful" for wishing the same fate for you. What a hypocrite.

I care that these people have a way to get an entry level job or second job and you want the replaced with robots and I'm the hateful one. Look in the mirror if you want to see hate.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
    otterhound likes this.
  20. ruger9

ruger9 Poster Extraordinaire

I hope it's not all Home Depots. I use the self-checkout ALL the time, because I routinely go there for a few items at a time. That and they only ever have 2 registers manned with actual people, and the contractors with big loads (of which I AM ONE on some days) really hold things up for the guys who are buying a pack of light bulbs.

My Lowes does NOT have self-checout, and I always try HD first for that very reason: same deal, no self-checkout, only 2 registers open, and one of those 2 is actually the customer service desk, so they are constantly doing THAT job while trying to check people out. Ridiculous.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.