Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Home Depot Self Checkout Disappeared

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by D_W_PGH, Jan 9, 2019.

1. memiller

memiller Tele-Meister

Jan 9, 2019
    Texas
    The comparison to an x-ray scanner is... well, lay off the nitro for a while.:lol: Really though, it's a completely different type of system. There's no way to identify individual items with x-rays. Even using an RFID tag on everything (the absolute simplest way to do it) runs into problems of cost. Each and every item would be marked up to cover the cost of implementing and tagging. Are you willing to pay $4-5 more each time you buy groceries just so you don't have to stand in line for five minutes? If you go weekly you're dropping $250 to skip out on 260 minutes of standing. I've got much better things to spend $60 an hour on, personally.

This is ignoring the difficulties of such a system, which would require a large RFID scanner for each and every basket and figuring out how to eliminate crosstalk between devices which could end up with you paying for someone else's beets because they got too close to your machine. Which brings up another problem... anything sold by the pound would still have to be weighed and scanned at the point of sale and at that point you may as well just scan the other six things you have in the basket thereby negating the point of the entire system.

It wouldn't prevent theft at all, btw. It would simply mean more people walk out of the store "empty handed" because they "didn't find anything they wanted."

2. memiller

memiller Tele-Meister

Jan 9, 2019
    Texas
    You'll typically find that the longer something has lasted, the less choice was involved in its perpetuation.

3. TheGoodTexan

TheGoodTexan Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    It was just an example. Of course I understand that an x-ray scanner is not the same type of system as a grocery item scanner. My point was that the technology to scan an entire cart worth of groceries at once is not far fetched. It's not "George Jetson." If you can look through someone's clothes at the airport in 15 seconds, surely we can scan items in a cart too. Again, -no- those are not the same technologies.

I don't follow your conclusion that implementing a new scanning device wouldn't pay for itself. Nevertheless, to answer your question... in a word, yes. I would LOVE to have the option of laying down a $5 bill in order to avoid waiting in a line of three or four full carts at the grocery store. Especially when there's a coupon addict in front of me.

stratofortress likes this.
  4. rdwhitti

rdwhitti Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Feb 16, 2016
    TX
    Every (and I mean every) checkout at my local HD has been converted to a self checkout lane. There are often cashiers available to help but they are all self checkout, even at the Pro desk.

getbent and LocoTex like this.
  5. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 9, 2008
    Detroit
    As a tradesman who only goes to HD on weekdays when the civilians are chasing a mouse across their desks (last time I went on a weekend I needed Xanax ) I only use the self checkout.

Time is money

Nickfl and LocoTex like this.
  6. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

Double scanning as I hear about it, is people accidentally scanning the item twice, paying the too large amount, getting home and then going over their receipts later on the weekend and realizing they've scammed themselves. Real upset people in some cases. Also the stores check inventory and find receipts for payment when the goods are still on the shelves.

When you get away from Cash many people zone out on the precise amount they're surrendering in value. Not sure why this is but the phenomenon is part of why stores love credit cards and such even though they have to give up all the fees to the card companies. Something about cash is real and now that we seldom even have to sign on card purchases, people are really going to be blundering into debt.

lil scotty likes this.
  7. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

Ya'll Texans in this town have been altogether too polite and not complaining nearly enough. Such is life, when you put down the Welcome Mat, someone (HD) comes and walks all over you.

If it isn't working out for you, imagine you're from New Jersey and give some big shot at HD a hard time and you'll get your checkouts back. No clerk checkout at the Pro Desk? That is just crazy and if I couldn't move them off of that I'd place my order someplace else and send HD a copy of it and a detailed explanation of just why I did.

8. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Friend of Leo's

Oct 29, 2013
    NYC
    At Home Depot I get a 10% discount when I show my VA card to the cashier. Is there a way to do that at the self-service machines?

telleutelleme likes this.
  9. TELE_BLUES

TELE_BLUES Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I go at 6 am when they open to avoid all the crazies and other issues.Same w/ Walmart ect

stratofortress likes this.
  10. Boomhauer

Boomhauer Friend of Leo's

Aug 18, 2013
    Michigan
    Harder than you imagine. They tried that locally, where a guest just put their stuff on the belt and it scanned everything at once, then sorted it and bagged it automagically. Super, super slick idea, and reduced all but the biggest grocery orders down to about a minute if it worked right. But, they had continuous problems with produce and odd-shaped packages, so ultimately, the automatic checkout disappeared quite quickly.

11. D_W_PGH

D_W_PGH Friend of Leo's

Aug 28, 2018
    Pittsburgh
    Saturday night, late Sunday or very early on Saturday. Any other time on the weekend and you'll be standing in line behind someone who thinks 2x4s and schedule 40 pipe should be arranged like a flower arrangement coming out of a regular cart.

12. D_W_PGH

D_W_PGH Friend of Leo's

Aug 28, 2018
    Pittsburgh
    Not at my local one there wasn't. FIL always wants to straw purchase for us when he's in town, but we sometimes have to go to the trade exit.

there are other things people are needed for, I suppose, like giving you the 10% discount on the floor model. The trade area checkout guy got snippy with me because I got a cordless angle drill when I was installing my kitchen. It was half price already due to clearance. The guy in the tool area said they were out, and I said "I'll take the tag, I don't need the box if you'll sell the floor item". He gave me the tag and said "tell the cashier to take another 10% off since it's the floor model"

When I got to the cashier in the pro area, the guy rung it up and said he didn't want to give me the floor discount because it was already half off. I said "the guy in the tool department told me to tell you to knock another 10% off since it's the floor model, I'm just relaying what he said. I didn't ask him for a discount, he offered". The cashier rolled his eyes and said "jeez, how much do you want off?". I think he may have been confused and thought he had stake in the store or something. Jerk. (I wasn't with my FIL - who is rabid about discounts, or he'd have been bobbing up and down saying "I'll take a 10% military on that, too!")

LutherBurger likes this.
  13. memiller

memiller Tele-Meister

Jan 9, 2019
    Texas
    The amount of money "lost" due to self-checkouts would be utterly dwarfed by the investment required to design and implement a system like you describe. Such a thing would not be feasible for any company outside of HD/Walmart and in those cases the number of stores and lanes it would have to be implemented in would never be seen as a sound investment and if the investors are sad then nothing gets done. All hail corporate.

All this would still do nothing except lower the average checkout time, which can be done by instead cross-training staff to run the registers at a much lower cost.

And you do have the option of avoiding the three or four full carts. It's called self checkout.:D

14. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    How 'bout everybody has to work or get shot and processed by the meat runners, nobody gets paid, and everything is free.

15. Lonn

Lonn Friend of Leo's

Dec 13, 2007
    Indiana
    These bug me in that they're only thee to save the company money by not hiring human cashiers. If I got a discount for doing their work for them I'd consider using them but I don't so I only use them if it's to my advantage.

ndeli55 likes this.
  16. Nightclub Dwight

Nightclub Dwight Tele-Holic

Aug 12, 2016
    Pittsburgh
    Slightly off topic, but my favorite time to shop is during Steeler's football games. Even right around Christmas the stores are all empty when the Steelers are playing. Unfortunately, they failed to make the playoffs this year, so my little trick won't work till autumn when it all starts up again.

LutherBurger likes this.
  17. ukepicker

ukepicker Tele-Afflicted

Oct 15, 2013
    East Texas
    Around here, self checkout lines are idiot traps. And seldom faster than going to a cashier.

I don't go through them unless I have fewer than 5 things and they are all marked with an easily readable barcode and aren't age sensitive (like booze or paint).

But I see people in there all the time with full carts and helpless faces, motionless, waiting for someone to save them.

At the grocery store a few nights ago, all three self-checkout lines were stopped up like cheap toilets by people whose ambition for self-reliance was bigger and stickier than their brains.

18. Bones

Bones Telefied Ad Free Member

Dec 31, 2005
    Luddite Island, NY
    Those backwards registers ARE the new self checkouts. The employees are testing the system. This recently happened at our local home depot. You will now you the scan gun to ring up your purchases instead of the old scanner. That's right, you will be using a feces encrusted scanner gun that is covered in flu and cold germs and never clean.

I'm not a Home Depot employee, I'm not doing their work for them.

19. uriah1

uriah1 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Feb 12, 2011
    Around
    I only use human checkouts.

I miss people interaction

5595bassman likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.