Home Depot Self Checkout Disappeared

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by D_W_PGH, Jan 9, 2019.

1. D_W_PGH

D_W_PGH Friend of Leo's

That's pretty much it. The home depot near me used to have four self checkouts. If I was buying one or two things that scan and get detected easily, I'd go through them if anyone was in the regular line.

But last week, I went in to get turpentine for brush cleaning and the kiosks had been changed to registers where the cashier is turned toward the kiosk or standing astride of it while they're checking out your order. It was confusing because there were no aisles - think of the change over as something similar to sliding one of those vinyl refurbishing kits over an old bath tub without making other necessary changes to a bathroom.

I guess they found too much in terms of shoplifting or too many people double scanning items.

This isn't the first place near me to give up on self checkout. The local grocery chain here did it years ago - tried to turn busy locations to 2/3rds self checkout all at once in some cases, and the last I was in one, it had zero self checkout.

Tonetele, Driver3 and nojazzhere like this.
  2. tery

tery Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Good :)

Tuneup, hrstrat57, Driver3 and 14 others like this.
  3. OtherTom

OtherTom Tele-Afflicted

I try to avoid them, and when I do have to us them I make a spectacle of myself so the hall monitor has to come over and punch in his secret code.

If I'm going to check myself out, I want the employee discount.

and healthcare and pension.

4. Old Tele man

Old Tele man Friend of Leo's

DOUBLE good by me! :) :)

5. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

All the grocery store chains have self-checkout in my town, but I was told the one in the grungier downtown location won't let you enter produce. Turns out, people were marking everything as the cheapest bulk item (carrots).

nojazzhere and tery like this.
  6. JodanOrNoDan

JodanOrNoDan Tele-Meister

Yeah, it is probably because of theft and people like me incessantly complaining about it to every employee I pass. I was surprised to find out they agree with me. They said it causes more confusion than it is worth.

Doctorx33 and nojazzhere like this.
  7. Salsg

Salsg Tele-Meister

I do like having a choice. I like options, not things taken away because of that small minded collective thinking

LocoTex likes this.
  8. omahaaudio

omahaaudio Tele-Afflicted

I can't say that I've never used a self-checkout but it's very rare for me to do so, because the more people use them the fewer cashiers need to be employed. Being a cashier might not be the best job in the world, but it's a job for someone and they might really need it.

9. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

I've seen them disappear from locations in one market only to appear afresh in another market.

A lot of this is about "market tolerance". Some people dutifully use the device and others stamp their feet and cry (that would be me!)

I buy a lot of things from Home Depot and Lowe's and such places that are vastly discounted or "Oops" paint or such and you can't self check out those things, so I have tended to go by default to the Clerk. Also, I don't want their bags and in some locations if you don't have a bag the Security Guard gives you the dirtiest look. If I have a printed receipt from the Clerk I am solid.

10. D_W_PGH

D_W_PGH Friend of Leo's

Home depot's were a special kind of pain in the but here. They would double scan things really easily, and if they did, the only thing you could do is wait for the attendant. So I started to remedy that by picking up all of my stuff and restarting at another kiosk. They don't like that, but I'm not going to stand around waiting, so if they can get to me before I pick my stuff up, ok. If not, they can clear the machine after I've moved to another one.

11. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

I wish there was some way to quantify the inventory loss at self-checkouts. You realize who ultimately pays for that, don't you? You and me. Walmart passive-aggressively forces us to use self-checkouts by only having one or two clerks ringing up.....unless you want to wait thirty minutes (or more) to check out, you have to do it yourself. But I guess the fat cats in Bentonville need more money.....

12. Wrighty

Wrighty Tele-Afflicted

Small minded collective thinking? Can’t get my head around that concept. Can collective thinking, maybe hundreds of people, be small minded?

Driver3 and ndeli55 like this.
  13. memiller

memiller Tele-Meister

Home Depot does not offer a pension or employee discount. Good luck getting that.

"IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
    No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here."

:lol:

Silliness aside, I will never voluntarily go through a checkout lane. If you don't act like a petulant child and actually learn how the machines work rather than throwing a tantrum you'll find it makes getting out of places much faster.

I worked for HD for a couple of years. Recently they implemented a "new labor model" as they put it that is allowing them to eliminate cashiers (and self-checkouts) in favor of having random employees on the floor check people out through the inventory phones we carried around or through one of our computers.

In other words, the celebration of self-checkouts disappearing will shortly be tempered by having to track down a store employee capable of actually processing your payment, thereby creating massive time sinks and inconvenience all in the name of spiking the stock price so the CEO can earn another $12 million this fiscal year because their vaunted buybacks are failing to produce the desired result.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2019
    Skamania, Teleguy61 and LocoTex like this.
  14. Larmo63

Larmo63 Tele-Afflicted

Call me old fashioned, but I hate self check out.

I also hate how sometimes in the morning at Home Depot, you have to line up to check out while two or three people are roaming around drinking coffee and playing grab ass.

15. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

I once entered a hardware store with a bunch of keys to be copied. The employee whined, "but we close in an hour!" I guess he wanted to goof off in the beck :confused:

R. Stratenstein and ndeli55 like this.
  16. Papa Joe

Papa Joe Friend of Leo's

I've used the one at Wallworld a few times when I only had one or two items..
    There's almost always an employee near by..

stratofortress and LocoTex like this.
  17. TheGoodTexan

TheGoodTexan Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

How difficult would it be to just place all of your selected items in a container (basket or cart) and have the entire things auto-scanned at once? And then a total price provided. Bam. Done.

If they can do an x-ray scan of you at the airport in 15 seconds, surely they can scan products all at once. This could even prevent theft... everyone walks through the scanner to leave. You got nothing? You keep walking. You got something in your pocket, or a cart full of groceries... you pay your bill.

I realize that goes against the grain of some of you guys' opinions on the subject.

18. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's Silver Supporter

The way checkout has worked for a hundred years is lack of choice? I choose to have more cashiers employed, not less.

Mase, ndeli55 and howardlo like this.
  19. gypsy jim

gypsy jim Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Last time I went to Home Depot for Turpentine they had a sound alike product but not that. No Naptha either.

20. lil scotty

lil scotty Tele-Meister

what is the double scanning thing all about? EDIT: oh you mean customers accidentally double scanning items and then needing the clerk to delete one. i thought, for a second, that it was some sort of scam i didn't know about.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.